Running with no cats..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Running with no cats..

So what are the consequences these days, for not having cats, if you get pulled over?? or if someone reports you to the authorities ??
Old 10-06-2014, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Idk bout getting pulled over. But i doubt u can get any more than a slap on the wrist for being reported. It would be hearsay if u were reported cause they couldnt prove it was u driving that car with those mods on the street. Assuming its parked in the garage at that point.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never had a problem. Most cops aren't going to lay on the ground to look under you car.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I've never had a problem. Most cops aren't going to lay on the ground to look under you car.
About 10 years ago my buddy said that same thing and talked about how his car was lowered and hard to see anyway. Until that one day he got pulled over and a cop laid on the ground to look. I forgot what he had to do to take care of the ticket, but it was more than a slap on the wrist. I would consider running hollowed out cats just for that reason.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

I've been daily driving with hollowed out cats for a while now without any problems, BUT i haven't been pulled over soooo...
Old 10-07-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't think that there is a problem with cats, just that some people don't like them. If you want them to join, you could always try feeding them so they stick around. Try spraying them with some mace if they bother you on your run.

Last edited by 5w20; 10-07-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
About 10 years ago my buddy said that same thing and talked about how his car was lowered and hard to see anyway. Until that one day he got pulled over and a cop laid on the ground to look. I forgot what he had to do to take care of the ticket, but it was more than a slap on the wrist. I would consider running hollowed out cats just for that reason.
10 years ago there was a HiPo in the Houston area that did that. He'd also make people to pop their hoods and nail them on !egr and !air. I've also seen a Houston cop write a friend a ticket for no hood (which isn't illegal), no exhaust when he had just gotten one the week before, and she was scratching at his window tosee if he had tint so she could write him a ticket for illegal tint eventhough the glass was clear. If a cop wants to be an ***, they'll make stuff up.

I've been running with !cats for more than than 10 years. Unfortunately I got pulled over for speeding yesterday. I also have no cats and no front plate and didn't get a ticket for either.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:14 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the replies ... I always wondered if it was a big no no, if I ever got caught. I had a guy tell me once it was a federal crime and that you could get jail time plus a big hefty fine ..Seems like it's just a ticket, from what I'm finding in my searches.

What if I'm selling the car? Would I need to put the car back to stock??(I have long tubes ), if fore some reason the new owner get a ticket for it and claims they didn't know it was illegal... And they trace it back to me.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's where you run into trouble- selling it as a street legal car. If you sell it get the owner to sign something saying the know emission equipment has been removed and the car is for off road use only. Should keep you in the clear.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28_n_tx
Thanks for the replies ... I always wondered if it was a big no no, if I ever got caught. I had a guy tell me once it was a federal crime and that you could get jail time plus a big hefty fine ..Seems like it's just a ticket, from what I'm finding in my searches.

What if I'm selling the car? Would I need to put the car back to stock??(I have long tubes ), if fore some reason the new owner get a ticket for it and claims they didn't know it was illegal... And they trace it back to me.

It honestly isn't that big of a deal. Your buddy probably just read that from the back of a cat box. If you got a cop that would lay on his huge belly to look under your car then you're the unluckiest man in the world. My truck originally had cats and I've been driving it for years with no issue from inspection guys running straight duals. If you sell the car, it could have an ejection seat and a pound of pot in the trunk and as long as the buyer signs a bill of sale then not much can be done to ya. Unless he gets Gloria Allred for a lawyer, then your f$&@/)
Old 10-13-2014, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a cop get on the ground and look under the car once. I just did my first suspension mod and wanted to see if it help traction any. It didn't and he saw me spin the tires. pulled me out of the car and put me in the back of his. Started telling my gf I was going to jail, all this bs. walked all the way around the car before getting on the ground. He got in the front seat of his cruiser and asked me "Where are your converters?" and me, still trying to get out of it said "On this car, they are kinda hard to see." He responded with "You don't have any." Probably should have left it at that but I said "Thats why they're hard to see" He didn't like that much.

Anyway, wrote me a ticket for no cats. Had Magnaflow high flows put on, took it to court and showed the judge the reciept, case dismissed.

Harris County Constable, btw

Last edited by ElkySS; 10-13-2014 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Running with no cats..