Came outside to my truck sitting on bricks..

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will add to that, section 9.41 for the bigger picture.

SUBCHAPTER D. PROTECTION OF PROPERTY

Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or

(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

Source : http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...E/htm/PE.9.htm
Old 11-24-2014, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ws6turbo
You don't pull a weapon if it's not a life or death situation, and you never point a gun unless you plan to shoot. But it can be hard to determine what's right in a emergency and your instincts mite take over. .. this is why they have a judge and jury because each situation is unique and sometimes the law gets in the way of protecting yourself, also why lawyers are needed, to argue your case

I don't need a lesson in the force continuum. I did my time and am fully aware when a weapon is needed. If some man rushes as me it is to harm me and I will deem him a threat. He isn't coming to tickle me. Things changed from personal property to self defense when he turned his attention to me. At that point even a screwdriver is considered a deadly weapon. Unless his hands are up palm out, running away, or on the deck arms out then he is a threat.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 98TA6.0
I don't need a lesson in the force continuum. I did my time and am fully aware when a weapon is needed. If some man rushes as me it is to harm me and I will deem him a threat. He isn't coming to tickle me. Things changed from personal property to self defense when he turned his attention to me. At that point even a screwdriver is considered a deadly weapon. Unless his hands are up palm out, running away, or on the deck arms out then he is a threat.
Note to self; never try and bum rush 98TA6.0 to tickle him. It may end bad for me.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ta6.0
i don't need a lesson in the force continuum. I did my time and am fully aware when a weapon is needed. If some man rushes as me it is to harm me and i will deem him a threat. He isn't coming to tickle me. Things changed from personal property to self defense when he turned his attention to me. At that point even a screwdriver is considered a deadly weapon. Unless his hands are up palm out, running away, or on the deck arms out then he is a threat.

AMEN! Start running or catch a ******* bullet.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

I agree 100% I was just saying if somebody is breaking into your car and you pull a gun you should be prepared to use it just as you would if they were entering your home, and not just point it at them (assuming they will scare off) just saying be ready to use it, you never know what they may pull out( were talking about criminals here)

I know I said you should only pull out a weapon of its life or death but I know I would pull a gun if they didn't scare away by the alarm,dog etc or had my car jacked up.but I wouldn't be pulling it to scare them off I'd be pulling it with the intentions of using it,,, if it was just for scare there would be no point to have it loaded.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

I'll share a bizarre story where I caught a thief, didn't have a gun tho, as I was being paid over time to do this at work

The junkyard I worked at would get burglarized nightly... for gas (we would get numerous cars full and use the gas in the tow trucks)...scrap metal, random car parts copper...

It wasn't untill they actually broke into the shop and got ALL of the Chilton books, money,and tools.

So me and the owners son (big mother ******) stayed in the yard the next night and waited.. sure enough they came back... the owners son immediately jumps on the back of the "getaway car" and after memorizing the plate number he took the metal pole he had in hand and started smashing the Windows out(at this point he's standing on the roof of the car)the driver peeled off and picked up the other guys down the road.

While I'm watching all this happen I call the police and they caught the car of people.. . Weird enough it was kids me and the owners son went to school with, the one running it and selling the **** was a 100lbs girl we went to school with... needless to say when she got out of jail her car (souped up little Honda she was in love with) was randomly vandalized beyond repair that it had to be towed to a junk yard... what a coincidence she was steeling parts from the yard for her Honda and now it's at a junk yard and people are picking parts off it lol,

People still kept steeling tho we took all the good parts off cars over a year or so and put them all in semi trailers on shelves . ..towed them to his house and shut down the yard, now when people call for parts he walks in the semi trailers and get people's parts,...

****** thieves will find any way to get what they need,except work for it
Old 11-24-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaraderie
The scope of your argument is invalid we are not talking about officers we are talking about citizens .
Show me the difference in statutes.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree 100% I was just saying if somebody is breaking into your car and you pull a gun you should be prepared to use it just as you would if they were entering your home, and not just point it at them (assuming they will scare off) just saying be ready to use it, you never know what they may pull out( were talking about criminals here)

I know I said you should only pull out a weapon of its life or death but I know I would pull a gun if they didn't scare away by the alarm,dog etc or had my car jacked up.but I wouldn't be pulling it to scare them off I'd be pulling it with the intentions of using it,,, if it was just for scare there would be no point to have it loaded.

I have two deployments under my belt. I can say without a doubt that I have no concern for the well being of the delinquent that decided to put his life in danger for some ashtray change and a CD player. If he **** his pants, raised his hands,and started crying then the weapon would be down and he would be waiting for his ride (cops). If he wants to run then I won't pursue. I don't have that authority. However a step in my direction presents a challenge and I'm all for deadly force. The world will spin just a little better after being lightened of a thief.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll share a bizarre story where I caught a thief, didn't have a gun tho, as I was being paid over time to do this at work

The junkyard I worked at would get burglarized nightly... for gas (we would get numerous cars full and use the gas in the tow trucks)...scrap metal, random car parts copper...

It wasn't untill they actually broke into the shop and got ALL of the Chilton books, money,and tools.

So me and the owners son (big mother ******) stayed in the yard the next night and waited.. sure enough they came back... the owners son immediately jumps on the back of the "getaway car" and after memorizing the plate number he took the metal pole he had in hand and started smashing the Windows out(at this point he's standing on the roof of the car)the driver peeled off and picked up the other guys down the road.

While I'm watching all this happen I call the police and they caught the car of people.. . Weird enough it was kids me and the owners son went to school with, the one running it and selling the **** was a 100lbs girl we went to school with... needless to say when she got out of jail her car (souped up little Honda she was in love with) was randomly vandalized beyond repair that it had to be towed to a junk yard... what a coincidence she was steeling parts from the yard for her Honda and now it's at a junk yard and people are picking parts off it lol,

People still kept steeling tho we took all the good parts off cars over a year or so and put them all in semi trailers on shelves . ..towed them to his house and shut down the yard, now when people call for parts he walks in the semi trailers and get people's parts,...

****** thieves will find any way to get what they need,except work for it

Man sounds like it would be cheaper to hire a night watch. Doesn't have to be an armed guard, just someone to get pics and call the police. Eventually thieves will leave a yard alone that gets you put in jail
Old 11-24-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

I have two deployments under my belt. I can say without a doubt that I have no concern for the well being of the delinquent that decided to put his life in danger for some ashtray change and a CD player. If he **** his pants, raised his hands,and started crying then the weapon would be down and he would be waiting for his ride (cops). If he wants to run then I won't pursue. I don't have that authority. However a step in my direction presents a challenge and I'm all for deadly force. The world will spin just a little better after being lightened of a thief.
Lol true, it's hard to say how the situation is going to turn but your right either way they put themselves there, your just protecting what's yours... if they go to jail our tax dollars pay for There meals and shelter. .. either way there it costs us. Better locked up but the prisons are so crowded now that even a armed robber can walk back on the streets with probation after his court date. I uses to live in Madison wi.. now I live in southern Colorado so the crime rate here is pretty dam low compared to Madison.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Man sounds like it would be cheaper to hire a night watch. Doesn't have to be an armed guard, just someone to get pics and call the police. Eventually thieves will leave a yard alone that gets you put in jail
This was in Madison wi, and after hurricane Katrina all the nice folks from Louisiana came up to wi/Ill.... I'm sure Illinois didn't even notice lol..but Madison did

Also a river running through the yard was (at risk of contamination) so he was gona need to pay to have the small river routes around his property. .. so he was like **** it and sold the yard and put everything he had in semi trailers
Old 11-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Buddy of mine is letting me use his factory set until I buy new wheels but I haven't ordered any yet. I'm considering a set of 20 or 22 inch Fuel Mavericks with some Nitto Terra Grapplers and a leveling kit or a possible lift. Any recommendations?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Why not just buy the ones your buddy is "lending" you?

Sounds all to strange to me. All those cars and no one calls the cops. Now there is an available set you can use that are factory take offs just like you had. Now opting for 20 or 22 inch off road tire wheel package that you didnt want to come out of pocket for.

Explain why you feel safe putting on the new tire wheel package you now want to buy for $3-4k? I think most people would opt not top have another set stolen. Especially ones that expensive that will attract more attention.

Last edited by Quick; 11-25-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Quick

Sounds all to strange to me. All those cars and no one calls the cops. Now there is an available set you can use that are factory take offs just like you had. Now opting for 20 or 22 inch off road tire wheel package that you didnt want to come out of pocket for.

Explain why you feel safe putting on the new tire wheel package you now want to buy for $3-4k? I think most people would opt not top have another set stolen. Especially ones that expensive that will attract more attention.
Calling the cops is a waste of time, they simply don't care about this type of crime against private citizens. They would come out, take a few pictures and write up a report. Depending on your insurance company, you may or may not need that report to file a claim.

Had it been a big dealership, sure they would be all over it.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Build a Brodozer and put on some Rockstars. No one will try to steal those, haha!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Launching!

You're an idiot. Stay out of my thread.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not telling you that it is a smart idea to pursue a criminal who just tried stealing your *fill in the blank* but you can if you want. all law enforcement agencies say not to because it is too dangerous and no article is worth your life if the criminal has a weapon that can kill you. but you are allowed to make a citizens arrest and you are allowed to use the necessary amount of force to affect the arrest until police get there. while reading laws can be very confusing, common sense will go a long way. of course this is my own view and I am in no way giving you legal counseling as I am not a lawyer just stating my opinion.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I regret even bringing this up. I was sharing a funny story about Julio Rodriguez who cried like a broken hearted bitch when confronted for his actions. If he wasn't holding a screwdriver and acting like he was gonna hurt someone it would have gone much differently. I probably would have let him walk away with his tail up his *** if he hadn't broken my window. I never said I'd pursue. I would probably follow and get a 20 on him. You have to be alive to read those laws and the very last thing in my mind in a situation like that is how a cop will interpret my actions. I'd rather be tried by twelve then carried by six. On another note, sorry about hijacking the hell out of your thread. I was just sharing a similar story and I kinda regret it.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

I regret even bringing this up. I was sharing a funny story about Julio Rodriguez who cried like a broken hearted bitch when confronted for his actions. If he wasn't holding a screwdriver and acting like he was gonna hurt someone it would have gone much differently. I probably would have let him walk away with his tail up his *** if he hadn't broken my window. I never said I'd pursue. I would probably follow and get a 20 on him. You have to be alive to read those laws and the very last thing in my mind in a situation like that is how a cop will interpret my actions. I'd rather be tried by twelve then carried by six. On another note, sorry about hijacking the hell out of your thread. I was just sharing a similar story and I kinda regret it.
I enjoyed your story, no monday morning QB'ng here....
Old 11-26-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also enjoyed and appreciate the story.

Good luck OP.

Quick Reply: Came outside to my truck sitting on bricks..