Came outside to my truck sitting on bricks..

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EdgarB
Wheel locks dont do much unfortunately. I can take the GM locks off with a 19mm socket and the other acorn type with like a 15mm I think. Hope insurance is helping you out man
A good set of wheels locks can't be removed. I've never had a set of wheels stolen in 30+ years for that reason.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
A good set of wheels locks can't be removed. I've never had a set of wheels stolen in 30+ years for that reason.
There isn't a single set of locks that CANT be taken off,

There are some that discourage thieves and those are the ones that are effective, doesn't mean they CAN'T be removed...

Well I'll take that back, there are sets that cannot be removed by amateurs in a parking lot without proper tools, and in a hurry.
But you get good tools and the know how and (i) can remove any lock, worst case scenario you have to drill the the locking nut and use a 1/4 inch easy out. . But 90% of the time you can get them off if you don't mind ruining a couple sockets,

Just like no car is theft proof. Alarms arnt meant to physically stop a car thief it's to discourage them, anything man made can be altered by another man if he understands how it's designed
Old 11-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks to see. They got me for my stock 20in chrome Dodge Ram wheels a few months back, which had wheel locks on. One the good side insurance pays dealership price on wheels so I got a nice little check for 3400 for new wheels and tires so thanks thieves. Went with some fuel off road wheels. Atleast in houston thieves only want stock wheels not aftermarket anymore.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws6turbo
There isn't a single set of locks that CANT be taken off,

There are some that discourage thieves and those are the ones that are effective, doesn't mean they CAN'T be removed...

Well I'll take that back, there are sets that cannot be removed by amateurs in a parking lot without proper tools, and in a hurry.
But you get good tools and the know how and (i) can remove any lock, worst case scenario you have to drill the the locking nut and use a 1/4 inch easy out. . But 90% of the time you can get them off if you don't mind ruining a couple sockets,

Just like no car is theft proof. Alarms arnt meant to physically stop a car thief it's to discourage them, anything man made can be altered by another man if he understands how it's designed
I'm a machinist/tool & die maker and there's no way in hell you can remove a lugnut with a 1/4 easyout. Nice try though! lol
Old 11-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Launching!

I'm a machinist/tool & die maker and there's no way in hell you can remove a lugnut with a 1/4 easyout. Nice try though! lol
If all else fails break the studs.. If you are a thief trying to do it this way you would be caught though lol
Old 11-22-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

obviously you have never had to force remove locks before, I've done lots and have become so familiar with doing it I do it for friends when they can't get it. I used to work at a1 auto(scrap yard) and we got at least a handful of cars a week that came into the yard without nut keys and we ALWYS got them off. Worst case a few times they were rusted on we took a torch to them rite off the bat, this would **** the rim up but of course it wad scrap metal so we didn't need to be careful, btw most people don't torque down locking nut all the way since most of the keys are Kinda weak
Old 11-22-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

A 1/2" or larger easyout will work but not a 1/4" I know this from 35 years of experience.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

A 1/2" or larger easyout will work but not a 1/4" I know this from 35 years of experience.
Not trying to argue I have used both... I've used female and male easy outs. I have a 390 piece specialty tool set and have used every easy out that came in it multiple times and have never broke 1
Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98TA6.0
Holy hell. That takes a sack to do that in a parking lot full of cars. I was fortunate to catch the retard seconds after he breaks my window and hopped in. I held that douche at gunpoint for like half an hour before the police showed up. Glad he didn't look in the console because there would have been a gunfight then.

I am surprised that guy didn't press charges against you for holding him at gunpoint .There was case I worked on that was similar to this situation
Old 11-24-2014, 06:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was fortunate enough to have some witnesses who saw him break my window and then rush at me when I called him out. Only in America can a thief press charges against their victim. Sickening.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:28 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The turds that steal them call them "stocks". Which is referring to the factory 20s and up. Cannot have anything nice these days. That's why I stick with factory 16-17s. Not that I have not had center caps stolen off those.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98TA6.0
I was fortunate enough to have some witnesses who saw him break my window and then rush at me when I called him out. Only in America can a thief press charges against their victim. Sickening.
By pointing a gun you threaten a persons life .
Old 11-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaraderie

By pointing a gun you threaten a persons life .
Understandable that drawing a weapon in a situation that the gun was never fired would be illegal. Since in most situations that legal use of a gun is "fear of ones life". Usually if you are fearing for your life you wouldnt use the gun as a deterrent by pointing and not firing, you would use it for its intended purpose. I personally think thats a bit false. If someone was "charging" me Id fear for my life right up until I had them in my sights. How can you fear for your life holding a hand cannon youre ready to use vs somone, who im assuming was unarmed. On that note vehicles are considered an extention of a mans castle, here in texas, and his castle can be protected by and force necc. So assuming he had broken the guys window of his vehicle and was poking around inside the owner of said car would be within his right to shoot him. But pulling a weapon and not firing... o lordy lordy thats a big no no.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Remember guys here in the great state of Texas all potential charges are decided by a D.A. and convictions are decided by judge and jury. Every situation is different. That is why our laws are written the way they are. I am sure the law enforcement agency that handled the situation did what they thought to be correct. I personally don't know what I would do in this situation unless I thought there was any inkling of danger for my family. In that instance, somebody wouldn't survive the situation.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your wheels, man. I will say, if we're looking for some sort of silver lining, at least they left your truck on bricks. I've seen some thieves just drop the vehicle straight on the ground and screw up the brakes and suspension.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaraderie
I am surprised that guy didn't press charges against you for holding him at gunpoint .There was case I worked on that was similar to this situation
If it was at night, the night time mischief law covers use of deadly force to protect property.

Cops point guns at people all the time, without felony level probable cause. Do they get charged with agg assault as a result?
Old 11-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
If it was at night, the night time mischief law covers use of deadly force to protect property.

Cops point guns at people all the time, without felony level probable cause. Do they get charged with agg assault as a result?
The scope of your argument is invalid we are not talking about officers we are talking about citizens .
Old 11-24-2014, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

You don't pull a weapon if it's not a life or death situation, and you never point a gun unless you plan to shoot. But it can be hard to determine what's right in a emergency and your instincts mite take over. .. this is why they have a judge and jury because each situation is unique and sometimes the law gets in the way of protecting yourself, also why lawyers are needed, to argue your case
Old 11-24-2014, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Here in Texas you can have a weapon drawn and ready if someone is trespassing on your property. You cannot gun them down, but you are within you legal right to have a weapon at the low/patrol ready. This would fall under use of force, if the situation escalates, deadly force can be used, i.e. they attack you, draw a weapon etc.. I personally would not gun someone down for breaking into my car, but I would not engage them unarmed either.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Texas Penal Code 9.42 outlining use of deadly force to protect property.

/argument

OP - Any ideas on replacements?

Quick Reply: Came outside to my truck sitting on bricks..