Traveling with firearm

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Traveling with firearm

I am about to go from Houston, TX to Dallas, TX to look at a vehicle, which I'm paying CASH for.

Someone told me that the law (recently changed) in Texas is that you can TRAVEL with a firearm, as long as you are TRAVELING, and you do not need a CHL.

Anyone know if this is true? Do I need to have it in a bag? Or can I have it out in the open? If it's true... I pretty much want to know what is the legal way to transport it...

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question, I've been looking to get my CHL but as of yet have not. I always travel with a loaded clip but out of the gun in my center console.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:07 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I was under the impression that you could open carry in your vehicle even without a chl in Texas. This is as of 2014 as far as I'm aware. Not sure if this is 100% or not, or if this has changed since 2015.

In for more info.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant tell ya. I was under the impression that you can carry a firearm in your vehicle. People obviously buy firearms and transport them home, to the range and to their property for hunting and so on.

Although if i were driving around without a CHL and had a firearm i would have the firearm put up and away. No cop will appreciate walking up to your window and seeing a hand cannon.

CHL just allows you to carry on your person.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Your gun, in your vehicle, conseled= legal

I traveled to San Benito to purchase my Firehawk from a US customs agent. I asked about to make sure sitting in his kitchen. I was reasured what I already new to be true. I asked him because I noticed I would have to come through a check point on the way home. He even went on to explain that I didn't even need to disclose that I was carrying my weapon to the agents at the check point.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the deal. There is a lot of misconception on this. Yes, you can carry it in your vehicle at anytime in Texas as long as it "is not in plain view". As long as you are legal to own a firearm you can carry it in your home, a vehicle YOU ARE IN CONTROL OF, a hotel or your work if they allow it. You can also carry it on your person to and from each place, ie from house to car, as long as you do not detour. In your car it doesn't have to be locked up and it can be loaded. It just can not be seen in plain view looking in the vehicle.

When in my car I just keep mine in the passenger seat with a shirt or something over it. Also there is no definition plainly stated for "traveling". Texas is pretty good on gun laws. Anytime your in your car you can have it, except within so many feet of schools and those kinda things.

These rules do not change regardless of whether you have a chl or not. A chl comes into play once you step out of your vehicle. Also this is all regarding a handgun. Long guns do not have to be hidden, but why would you risk them laying out getting stolen anyways..

Your good to go, no worries.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to see plenty of Texans excersising the 2nd amendment.

Gotta love it!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GarrettM
Here's the deal. There is a lot of misconception on this. Yes, you can carry it in your vehicle at anytime in Texas as long as it "is not in plain view". As long as you are legal to own a firearm you can carry it in your home, a vehicle YOU ARE IN CONTROL OF, a hotel or your work if they allow it. You can also carry it on your person to and from each place, ie from house to car, as long as you do not detour. In your car it doesn't have to be locked up and it can be loaded. It just can not be seen in plain view looking in the vehicle.

When in my car I just keep mine in the passenger seat with a shirt or something over it. Also there is no definition plainly stated for "traveling". Texas is pretty good on gun laws. Anytime your in your car you can have it, except within so many feet of schools and those kinda things.

These rules do not change regardless of whether you have a chl or not. A chl comes into play once you step out of your vehicle. Also this is all regarding a handgun. Long guns do not have to be hidden, but why would you risk them laying out getting stolen anyways..

Your good to go, no worries.
Spot on. If you happen to ever get your CHL they cover this topic quite extensively in the course.

I highly recommend getting your CHL, joining the NRA, and possibly even look into getting pre-paid legal services if you plan on carrying a firearm. All you need is some sniveling, hot **** prosecutor to get wind of a shooting to nail your butt to the wall. Having these items I mentioned will offer layers of protection for you. This kind of thing happens weekly, even in Texas. There's always someone out there willing to make the victim into a criminal for profit.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:06 AM
L?1
Teching In

Are you doing the deal in your car? LOL jj.

Point being....

Hopefully you won't need it, but...

If you don't have a CHL, it seems like a catch 22 if you were to use it other than a case where someone car jacks you in your car, or does something while you are in your car.

According to what I can understand the CHL is for when you are not in your car or not in/on your home/land etc.

So if you actually used it in a justified situation, without a CHL , unless you were in your car, house, it would be seen as self defense, but you would likely still be charged with unlawful possession of a firearm.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I doubt if you were near your car and "got into trouble" that you wouldn't be able to legally use your firearm. Having a CHL only allows you to legally carry the firearm concealed with you. Unless a business has a posted sign on the door stating that they do not allow the Licensed carry of a firearm. Most businesses have the 'Unlicensed Possession of a Firearm is Illegal' sign, in which case if you have a CHL, you're good.

I've had my CHL since 2012. Been serving the Military since 2002. I will continue to have a CHL the rest of my life.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Yup, you guys have it correct. A weapon sitting in your passenger seat with a towel over it is ethnically legal since it is concealed.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
I am about to go from Houston, TX to Dallas, TX to look at a vehicle, which I'm paying CASH for.

Someone told me that the law (recently changed) in Texas is that you can TRAVEL with a firearm, as long as you are TRAVELING, and you do not need a CHL.

Anyone know if this is true? Do I need to have it in a bag? Or can I have it out in the open? If it's true... I pretty much want to know what is the legal way to transport it...

Thanks!
Interesting thing is...'traveling' has not been assigned a magical distance. I 'travel' to and from work everyday. Get it?

You need a CHL to carry concealed on your person (you - outside of your home/vehicle that is under your control), or unless a business has posted either the TX PC 30.06 signage, in proper sizing, contrasting colors, and in English/Spanish, or a 51% sign (meaning a business does 51% or more of their business off alcohol), at which point you need to disarm.

In the state of TX, you can have a loaded firearm in your car, out of sight (under the seat, center console, glove box), even on your person without a CHL. It is an extension of the castle doctrine, since your vehicle is an extension of your home, which is under your control. So, putting it up on the dash is not a good idea.

If you have it on your person and you exited said vehicle without removing it prior, you would in effect be breaking the law by carrying concealed without a CHL. Not good.

However, before exiting said vehicle and going out into public, you must remove it off your person and place in the car, case or bag if you are transporting it (to say a hotel room).

This is covered in depth when taking a CHL course.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Yup, you guys have it correct. A weapon sitting in your passenger seat with a towel over it is ethnically legal since it is concealed.
So does it vary depending on what race you are?

And Garrett up there answered the OP's question pretty thoroughly, so I just popped in to be a smartass.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:18 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Damn, autocorrect made a funny there.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

You can carry a loaded gun in your vehicle, it MUST BE OUT OF SIGHT. If you get pulled over and officer sees a gun, he's gonna show you the business end of his as well his backup coming in hot.

This law also covers you, CHL or not, while walking to/from vehicle to home. It must be concealed to prevent bystander panic or freaking out a cop passing by. It does not allow you to carry into your workplace, restaurant, stand in a parking lot, etc.

OP, if your intention is to carry your firearm for protection while you make this deal, I am not aware of any law (Castle doctrine included) that will protect you unless you stay INSIDE your vehicle AND your LIFE is in immediate danger. Meaning, if someone tries to rob you with a pocket knife, pulling your gun will land you in jail. If they kick you square in the nuts, pulling your gun will land you in jail. If they pull out a gun, you will probably still go to jail or morgue.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:11 AM
ppp
Launching!

Castle Doctrine....
Old 01-24-2015, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know it's a technicality, but technicalities matter with this. All I saw mentioned were generic terms like firearm, weapon, gun, etc. You need to break up these laws into the classifications of firearms. The laws as described are for a pistol.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Weird! I thought Texas you can open carry. So I live in Missouri and can open carry in my truck. I have been pulled over with a rifle on the seat. But I do give the respect to the officer and put my hands out the window and when he approaches I tell him it's there.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting topic. I believe Florida laws are similar to Texans. Here if you have a CWP and weapon , it must stay concealed no matter how you do it. Even though you carry a license and it's in plain view, you are now "brandishing" a weapon if not transporting from home to car, car to range, store to car. That's the "open" carry debate right now. Here and there I do believe.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 382 Posts

If I travel anywhere period my 357 snug is near me no matter what state I'm in. I just try not to get stopped by police/highway patrol. reason I carry a snug cause it literally fits in any console and by it being a revolver she'll never get jammed up.

Quick Reply: Traveling with firearm