San antonio raceway closed!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San antonio raceway closed!!!!!!!

Just found out that the track is closed and is for sale! Where the hell are we supposed to race now ?????
Old 01-31-2015, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wtf?!?
Old 01-31-2015, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Saw that on Facebook about a month ago
Old 01-31-2015, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Well this sucks.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

you are a bit late on that one lol Went up for auction at city hall and nobody bid....
Old 02-01-2015, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dam. I ran a pb w the car i had at the time at sar back in the day.
Rip
Old 02-01-2015, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Saw this a month ago on Facebook.

You guys can always drive to Houston, wait 2 hours to make a pass on basically an unprepped surface after 150 trucks drive through the water and sling mud down the track.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's sad.

The IHRA was the owner or part owner.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Saw this a month ago on Facebook.

You guys can always drive to Houston, wait 2 hours to make a pass on basically an unprepped surface after 150 trucks drive through the water and sling mud down the track.
Lol this is so true
Old 02-01-2015, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ihra didn't own the track. One if there primary investment companies is trying to buy the track but they are having to wait on the ch 7 bankruptcy case to close. Yellowbullet has a 13 page thread in the racing section called another track bites the dust.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by boss79z
Ihra didn't own the track. One if there primary investment companies is trying to buy the track but they are having to wait on the ch 7 bankruptcy case to close. Yellowbullet has a 13 page thread in the racing section called another track bites the dust.
I'm not on yellow bullet, so I don't know what's being said there. But I agree, IHRA never owned this track. From what I've heard from family and friends that live San Antonio, guys in IHRA were trying to get investors lined up over the last year. How credible that is, I don't know, but as you corrected the guy above, it wasn't an IHRA owned track, just licensed.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Here's a really old run. I ran my first Vette there just on coincidence one night many years ago. I was driving to my family river house outside of SA. I saw the track and told my buddy we were turning around and wanted to see how fast this stock C5z was with doing the home made flip tie mod on the air box on Firestone street tires. We watched for 30 or so minutes, and saw a C6 auto with spray running. Went to the pits, asked him to run me with no seat time in the car and on street tires vs his auto C6 on spray and with drag radials.. He agreed and was cool, but his friends were snickering/laughing. Cut a good light and a 1.72 60ft on Firestones and edged him out before he ran me down.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

WTF?? Their FB page makes it seem like they are opened?? I need to go racing to see what my girl will do!!

https://www.facebook.com/SanAntonioRaceway
Old 02-02-2015, 01:12 AM
Teching In

I really hope they don't shut down for good. I remember spending a lot of time there when I was younger. Hell here is a picture of me standing next to my dad's car back when it was River City Raceway years ago. Broken arm and all, lol.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:03 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IHRA is in the process of buying the track. Legal issues have to be settled 1st.

IHRA has said that they are trying to have a fall national event.

Coach
Old 02-11-2015, 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Dang you young'uns anyone I grew up at Alamo dragway that was where it was at when I was growing up and in highschool. Wish I could find some of the pics of my dads chevy II and 57 gasser from 80's and 90's going out there. Marion was alway's just to far and a hassle to go to for us. Alamo closing meant more fun runs in mexico minus a tree and timer.

Please save Marion if anyone is reading this that's making a decision on it's fate.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Smokin Alamo Dragway

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Dang you young'uns anyone I grew up at Alamo dragway that was where it was at when I was growing up and in highschool. Wish I could find some of the pics of my dads chevy II and 57 gasser from 80's and 90's going out there. Marion was alway's just to far and a hassle to go to for us. Alamo closing meant more fun runs in mexico minus a tree and timer.

Please save Marion if anyone is reading this that's making a decision on it's fate.
That was when I was there too. These spoiled ones don't know what it is like to have to put back up the return road or you might drag stuff. Old Fuzzy pairing cars up with his deck of cards. I knew it was bs. He played games up there to the max.

He did tell a guy with a real fast looking street car one time in front of me that was running 14's who told him it was running 10's last night on the street. Fuzzy told him "They are always faster on the street, out here is just the cold truth.

I was there in the days when Mike Murrillo drove his little black mustang to the track with a buddy in a s10 bringing the slicks and a floor jack.

Marion closing would really suck. I remember when Todd first told us at a high dollar bracket race he was building it. Time flies.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:57 AM
Teching In

Oh I have heard many stories about Alamo Drag. My dad told me the return road was so bad, that he would just drive in the grass beside it.

I lived/grew up in Marion. The track was less than 10 minutes away from my house.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I know Todd and my buddys are very close friends with Todd, the original owner of the track. Freddy Cruz that bought the track from Todd couldn't afford the bills and taxes, "supposedly" So the county put it up for auction. Freddy had an investor that had 1.8m into it from Dallas. He is a doctor. IHRA went to " I cant remember his first name, but I think its Robert Farmer, maybe Pete", a long time racer and he owns a track that's doing very well. Hes moving back to New Braunfels. IHRA asked him if he would run the track for them if they purchased it from Freddy. IHRA offered Freddy over 4m for the track. Freddy turned it down as did his investor. So that deal fell through and the auction happened. We really thought and hoped that the IHRA would show up and get it cheaper than they were willing to pay. And NOPE. IHRA didn't show up. There were 2 people at the auction. Todd Zampese and the investing doctor from Dallas. The doctor bought it.

So now its owned by a doctor that lives in Dallas that knows crap about racing and really doesn't give a crap about it. We do know that Walt Disney has been looking for property in that area. And I personally think that the doctor knew about this and may have already made a deal with Disney or some other company that wants land there. He could make out like a bandit selling the property to the right people.

As for the track opening again, we don't know. We do know that Todds original contract with the county states that if the track fails to operate as a race facility for a period of 6 months then the contract is void and the county will never allow it to be reopened as a race track. The county really never wanted it to be built in the first place.

So this track has been around the block so to speak. For years its played like a soap opera. I would love to see it reopen. IHRA was willing to buy it and they were going to invest in new parking and pit pavement as well as repaving the strip. So my fingers are sill crossed for a couple more months. It can happen, but it doesn't look good.

I started my S10 build with the intent to get back out there. I haven't been to the track since I sold my Top dragster. But now it looks like I am ending up with a fast street truck. And no, I refuse to go run at Little River. LOL.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read on Facebook that ihra had bought the track. Some guy on Facebook had spoke to Murillo I believe.

Quick Reply: San antonio raceway closed!!!!!!!