I'm back - with another Formula hardtop. Life is good again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm back - with another Formula hardtop. Life is good again!

Hello again all!

Not sure if anyone here remembers me, but my 99 silver hardtop Formula burned back in '09 and I've been searching for another silver hardtop Formula ever since. Well, one finally came out of the woodwork and is in my possession.

Here's what happened to the old car, if anyone cares https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...d-weekend.html

The replacement Formula is almost the exact duplicate of my old one: a 1999 silver hardtop Formula with black cloth interior. The "new" one is/was a base model, so it came with a manual driver seat and no keyless entry. However, the power seat from my old car and BCM has been swapped already - so I don't have to be a caveman and actually put a key in the door to unlock it - and I can set my seat exactly where I like it.

It had 67,434 miles on it when I took possession and it is 100% stock (good and bad, I guess). It may only have 300 hp right now...but at least I don't have to recheck someone else work.

The current plan is to enjoy this car stock for a while (which likely won't be long) and then I'll start with the mods. Only 1 thing is for sure right now - I will not be doing another nitrous car. My old Vig 3600 converter will be on its way back to PI in the next week or so for a rebuild.

Here's the current plan for the car:
- First and foremost - bushings/ball joints for the front suspension.
- Blackbird Solutions Bi-xenon HID kit
- 9" rear end from the old Formula
- Viking coilovers
- Huron speed single turbo A/C system or Hawks Third Gen TVS2300 (still up in the air on this)
- Forged pistons/rods at the minimum...unsure if I will go with a 347 LS1, 383 LS1, or 364 ci LS2 - power goal is 650-700 fwhp.
- Built trans - most likely from RPM Transmission in Indiana
- Obligatory fuel system upgrades - thinking a dual in tank setup
- Probably stick with my LS6 intake if I go turbo...or Kooks headers if I go TVS2300
- Wheels - currently really liking the look of the CCW SP540 for street use - not sure if I want 17", 18", or 19". Will probably reuse my 15" Billet Specialties Drag Lites for strip use.
- Up in the air on the exhaust system. I'm older now...and sort of over loud cars. So I probably won't be doing true duals/x-pipe/spiral flow's again.

At this point, I am in the process of gutting the burned Formula to scavenge every single part I could possibly use in the future (rear end, hatch, interior, etc) - then, sadly, the old body will be hauled across the scales.

Good to be back.

...and a pic of the new car (very dirty)

Last edited by FormulaZR; 02-18-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome back especially since you are a fan of one of my favorite F bombs. A friend of mine went by my land yesterday with his F1R 02' Trans Am and I just a thought to myself, there is no way in hell I would go blower over turbo. That thing sounded like a damn freight train at cruise. I no longer care for an obnoxiously loud car myself. If I go FI it will definitely be a Huron AC kit or dual manifold 60mm's, also retaining the AC.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:36 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice, any pics? In officially in my first LS1 car as of last week with what is also my first SS Camaro. Hard top all the way!
Old 02-17-2015, 02:04 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Good to be back.

Nice find! low milers are getting scarce. Nice build plan too, gonna be fun im sure
Old 02-17-2015, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you! Your like me, I would rather find one bone stock then recheck every single thing .
Old 02-17-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome back to the club
Old 02-18-2015, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guy!

Uploaded a picture of it...

Zone, hope you love the new to you SS!

I'm glad I waited...I never dreamed a sub 70k mile 1 owner hardtop would show up!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:14 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm glad I didn't pass this one up. I was just for sure I would regret it.

Quick Reply: I'm back - with another Formula hardtop. Life is good again!