good engine rebuilders in houston tx

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

2k is short block pricing. 1200 is long block reman pricing. I am sure if you were close enough to TM they would give you core money for your junkyard motor if it is reman material. People buy junkyard motors with the idea that they will run fine without a reman. That is why you pay more than core price. There is quite a few hours involved with a reman. $1200 is not a bad price. I wouldn't do the long block assembly for that. Plus most reman shops test run the motors.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think HKE is in Houston any more. Last time I talked to Erik he had moved and wasn't building any motors at that time. That was probably about a year ago.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
I don't think HKE is in Houston any more. Last time I talked to Erik he had moved and wasn't building any motors at that time. That was probably about a year ago.
He's in la grange now. He is taking on new motors but if you don't have his number or stop by shop the chances of you getting one are slim to none.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

Anybody ever heard of scroggins machine inc. in Houston?
Old 04-17-2015, 07:05 PM
Teching In

G&G is the last place to take an LSX or anything else to....the list of failures is long. Tons of machine shops have been around forever....Pecos at LME was in my class at SAM going on 20 years ago and builds some nice stuff....but they aren't cheap. Erik and I both taught at SAM and he knows his stuff...but its not cheap or fast in terms of turnaround. USA and Houston Engine are the old dogs in town and are more geared toward BBC and such....as is Faerman, Conrad, Westside, etc. Tim at Griggs off the Hardy does great work and his quick...but the last 6.2 shortblock he built for me was $3500 with him supplying pistons and rods.

Cheap is not good and good is not cheap.....
Old 04-17-2015, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseofSpeed
G&G is the last place to take an LSX or anything else to....the list of failures is long. Tons of machine shops have been around forever....Pecos at LME was in my class at SAM going on 20 years ago and builds some nice stuff....but they aren't cheap. Erik and I both taught at SAM and he knows his stuff...but its not cheap or fast in terms of turnaround. USA and Houston Engine are the old dogs in town and are more geared toward BBC and such....as is Faerman, Conrad, Westside, etc. Tim at Griggs off the Hardy does great work and his quick...but the last 6.2 shortblock he built for me was $3500 with him supplying pistons and rods.

I will 110% agree unless you have been in the game and know your ****. If you can do your own assembly and machine checkout you're good to go. Tell the machine shop the clearances and what not you want and roll.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Launching!

HKE is in LaGrange and u will die of old age waiting.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Personally, my machinist moved to oklahomo.
Dennis???
Old 04-18-2015, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was at TRE the other day picking up a motor and will be dropping another motor off this week. His LS motor package with all pro heads are making 950. He has several dart blocks in stock and has some VERY nice LSX motors on the stands waiting to go out.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Give us a call. I moved my chassis shop to TRE and now we can build you a motor or a complete car.

281-593-1440 or 281-432-0393

225-343-9029
Old 04-18-2015, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

H squared Racing Engines does nice work. He's associated with Erik at HKE but easier to get in touch with.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:52 PM
8 Second Club

Who does the best balancing in Houston?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:28 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Footlead
Dennis???
Yup... Sucks, the guy was bullet proof for me in the trust department. And they had no problem calling me for any questions about other customers LS engines for details they needed.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

I had a bad experience with Tim at Griggs a few years back and ended up picking my 434 up and taking it else where to be built. He was pretty much already paid and I supplied all of the parts. I have used Erik with HKe on several Occasions and have nothing but good to say about his work. He is now working in La grange building motors. I talked with him last week.
I seen a built LSA short block that came from TRE that looked awesome also.
Any of the descent builder in Houston if they are good they will be busy and there will be a little wait because they usually keep a little back log of work.
Sometime pistons, rods , etc are on back order also. Not the builders fault. I will say that some one that builds a lot of LS based stuff will know when get ready to do a build if its not specialty they should know how stock is on the pistons they normally use.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:11 PM
Teching In

John Swatloski of CPE on the north side is who I use & he taught at SAM years ago as well. Does excellent work.

Originally Posted by oscs
Who does the best balancing in Houston?
I only use John at CPE (Custom Performance Engineering) or his neighbor, Scott at RED (Race Engine Development) now. Both have great reputations backing them & knowing them personally doesn't hurt.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:24 AM
8 Second Club

Erik is the man. Very personable and KNOWS these motors like no one I've ever talked to.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

conrad, been the dude forever.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Way back when...the go to on balancing was either Flanakin or Tommy Costales ....they were also about the only crank shops in town that weren't fly by night. Have no doubt there are several newer shops in town that I just don't have any contact with, but my short list covers the known quantities. No doubt Erik knows his stuff and the same can be said for a handful of others...can't go wrong there.

Quick Reply: good engine rebuilders in houston tx