Possible bad tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

still could be your maf. a buddy of mine cleaned his k and n filter a long time ago and some of the oil got on the maf. the car ran fine but at high speeds when he pressed in the clutch the car would die. cleaned the maf and it fixed the prob.

also if you keep getting o2 codes I would start by switching the two up streams sensors and see if the codes switch sides. if sides switch then chances are you have a bad o2 sensor which will cause a lot of weird things to happen with your car.

if that is not the issue then I would make sure that all the spark plugs are in good condition and the wires also. when you say the car hiccups does it feel like it is misfiring? a misfire that last a long time or is really bad can trash a cat in a hurry.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
still could be your maf. a buddy of mine cleaned his k and n filter a long time ago and some of the oil got on the maf. the car ran fine but at high speeds when he pressed in the clutch the car would die. cleaned the maf and it fixed the prob.

also if you keep getting o2 codes I would start by switching the two up streams sensors and see if the codes switch sides. if sides switch then chances are you have a bad o2 sensor which will cause a lot of weird things to happen with your car.

if that is not the issue then I would make sure that all the spark plugs are in good condition and the wires also. when you say the car hiccups does it feel like it is misfiring? a misfire that last a long time or is really bad can trash a cat in a hurry.
The only code that it's actually thrown is the ECT one. I don't trust the other information from the Torque app. I had the spark plugs replaced recently but not the wires. Sometime it feels like a misfire but mainly a bad MAF sensation. That's why that was the first thing that I replaced. I guess I could take each of the wires off and check them.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shackleford
The only code that it's actually thrown is the ECT one. I don't trust the other information from the Torque app. I had the spark plugs replaced recently but not the wires. Sometime it feels like a misfire but mainly a bad MAF sensation. That's why that was the first thing that I replaced. I guess I could take each of the wires off and check them.

Does it ever die without the ac on? My car is really stubborn and the ac will make it idle higher and run better but when I turn the power steering zaps power and the car wants to die.

no clue on resistance
Old 07-05-2015, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Does it ever die without the ac on? My car is really stubborn and the ac will make it idle higher and run better but when I turn the power steering zaps power and the car wants to die.

no clue on resistance
Yes, on the way home, it acted up and the compressor turned off. After I refueled, it died as I was trying to leave the gas station. The AC was switched off. After I restart it, it idles oddly and surges but eventually starts acting right. I have yet to do a pressure check on the fuel pump. However, I may get a chance to let the aforementioned shop have the car for a week while I'm on vacation. I also put an AC Delco ECT sensor in this morning, but the trouble code is still there.

I'm actually working on getting a new car. I went to a Chevy dealership today and looked at the SS Sedan. I was approved for zero percent financing, but I decided earlier tonight that it's simply too much: $44K plus TTL. I didn't realize how affordable the Mustang GTs are. I feel like an apostate. LOL.

I don't think that I'll have a tough sell on my GTO, but I'd like to get this problem squared away first.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What happens if you wiggle the wires on the ECT while the car is having the issue?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Had a Sierra in the shop today that wouldn't even start due to the ECT being left unplugged by the customer.

A few things

BCM = Body Control Module. Only has to do with windows, doors, lights, horn, radio etc.. Nothing to do with the engine.

ECM = Engine Control Module. Self explanatory.

Then there is a TCM (transmission), and multiple other modules for Airbags, ABS, suspension, etc..

Your coolant temp sensor is for the gauge and the computer (two functions). That is if I recall correctly when it comes to your car. Some cars have two ECT sensors, one for the gauge and one for the computer, the one for the gauge is called a temperature sensor, the one for the computer is called a temperature sending unit. The gauge working properly means nothing if the computer does not know the engine temp. If you have a bad temp sensor or wiring to it you will be able to tell by looking in the data stream, typically it will show -40*. The Sierra today reported -38*. But sounds like you are having an intermittent problem which sounds like a wiring or connection problem (refer to last sentence in this post).

If the temp sensor is going bad or the wiring going bad it will cause the car to run horrible. Several manufacturers disable A/C and traction control when a trouble code comes in that affects engine performance. So it sounds like ALL of your concerns are due to the coolant temp code/issue.

Replace the pigtail if you haven't already (sensor wiring with plug).
Old 07-10-2015, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the coolant temp sensor is bad Or the pig tail, my formula would do the same thing until it recognized the sensor as defective

Does the fan stay running after you turn off the vehicle?

Quick Reply: Possible bad tune