Houston C5 help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Houston C5 help

I've posted this over on corvette forum but have had no luck (everyone lives too far away). I need to replace the couplers in my torque tube but have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing in terms of taking it out and dropping the assembly (the rebuild seems easy enough with big *** snap ring pliers). Is there anyone local who has done this before? It's vibrating bad now after any sort of run and I'm pretty sure its destroying all my pilot bearings I'd be willing to pay or pay with a big *** fridge of beer at your disposal the whole time and whatever kind of pizza you want, would rather not pay out the *** for this IF possible.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:34 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going to be hard to find someone to work for pizza and beer.. Learn to fix it yourself or pay someone to do it. What are the shops trying to charge you?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hi,

I done that before. Check http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...with-pics.html this out
Old 12-08-2015, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oscs
Going to be hard to find someone to work for pizza and beer.. Learn to fix it yourself or pay someone to do it. What are the shops trying to charge you?
So far only $800, doing it myself doesn't seem bad, I WISH I had a lift in this garage but it doesn't.
Originally Posted by regorih383
Hi,

I done that before. Check http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...with-pics.html this out
I've read your thread more times I can count, where did you find the big snap ring pliers?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Order snap ring pliers on line. This is not an easy job, $800 is not all that bad. A lift makes it much easier but still quite a chore. Give Chad a shout. I'm sure you already know, he will probably beat that price.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codyvette
Order snap ring pliers on line. This is not an easy job, $800 is not all that bad. A lift makes it much easier but still quite a chore. Give Chad a shout. I'm sure you already know, he will probably beat that price.
Chad and I talked about it when he did the clutch, no snap ring pliers, didn't wanna mess with it. Fixing to buy an 01-04 manual torque tube and just go to local Chevy dealer and ask someone to take off the snap rings and do it that way and just take it to chad and change them out and sell the original one. It'll be a lot less than $800. That way we can just drop it and change them out and bolt them up, might as well put in a new pilot bearing or bushing since this one is starting to go out already.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chevrolet dealers will work on the whole car, they have franchise regulations that tell them that, and for liability reasons they can't touch just a part.

I only say this to save you time, and so you aren't that guy who thinks the dealership is only there to serve your unique, once in 10 calendar year request, while you blindly disregard what their structured operations are, which if you ranted about it would make everyone think you're a goon.

Quick Reply: Houston C5 help