Houston emissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston emissions

I am getting ready to move to Houston and want to delete my egr/air systems I have a 99 camaro with vrx4 cam,243 heads and Magna flow cat back. I have stock intake and exhaust manifold with cats. Will I be able to pass ?
Old 03-24-2016, 07:27 AM
Launching!

As long as the CE light is tuned out you should be fine. They don't do a visual inspection. They just hook up to the ECU. As long as the computer is telling them everything is OK you are good to go. I pass emissions with no air,EGR, or cats. It hasn't been a problem in 5 years.

Note: I am in Montgomery County just North of Houston. If may be different in Harris County.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not any different in Harris Co, though its not fair to say they dont do a visual inspection. Its just rare that someone does a visual inspection.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

OBD test only allows 1 NOT READY. The rest need to report READY or N/A.

Actually in the market for a blind inspector in NW Houston. Old contact closed shop during the recession. Trying to get this car registered again to appease the HOA's "recreational vehicle" restrictions.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Launching!

All I can say is that I have been to 5-6 inspection stations over the years and not once has anyone checked for cats or any other emissions equipment. This last time I brought my car to the mechanic who does some of the maintenance when I am to tied up at work to mess with it. He is well aware of the fact that the car completely lacks emissions equipment. Passed inspection with no problems. As he said, " If the computer says its fine, it's good to go."
Old 03-24-2016, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Emissions codes are a tune away. However the non-computer stuff.....

What is the bare minimum to qualify as a windshield wiper?

What are the rules about air bags?

Do I really need a true emergency brake or do they only check for parking brake? E-brake is gone but I have parking brake covered.

Dash lights and such?
Old 03-26-2016, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe some of the shops you guys go to don't check in Harris County, but my cars get checked every time. However, I still have all of my emissions stuff (high flow cats, other stuff disabled but still there).

Just read all the requirements straight off the DMV site for your answers.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi...nCriteria.aspx
Old 03-29-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Emissions are the same like anywhere else in the state of Texas. Houston is a Non-Attainment Area. If you want more information look at the TCEQ website
Old 03-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
OBD test only allows 1 NOT READY. The rest need to report READY or N/A.

Actually in the market for a blind inspector in NW Houston. Old contact closed shop during the recession. Trying to get this car registered again to appease the HOA's "recreational vehicle" restrictions.
I don't have a hook up or "blind inspector". I literally go to whatever inspection station is convenient at the time. My tune kicks out all of the appropriate info to pass and the car will pass a safety inspection. I have never had an issue. Luck maybe, IDK. One of the other cars I owned (since sold) would not pass but I got a low mileage exemption on it. You have to follow a few basic steps every year and you can't drive it over 5K a year but that wasn't an issue for me as these cars arn't my dd.

Quick Reply: Houston emissions