Silver C5Z at Kemah car show Saturday night.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Silver C5Z at Kemah car show Saturday night.

Had a CCW drag pack, Procharged. Damn car sounds good. What all is done to it, if you happen to be on here and are willing to share?

Jason
Old 03-29-2016, 12:47 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

That sounds like Alan's car. Very clean 402 with a F1C or R I think. Its been a while since I got to see him and talk about his car because of work schedule etc...
Old 03-29-2016, 08:11 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks Jeff. I drove my GTO up there that night with my son. It was one of the cars that caught my eye since it was so clean. Then he started it. The car sounds great!

Jason
Old 03-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was Alan's car
Old 03-30-2016, 05:52 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Kingsize
Thanks Jeff. I drove my GTO up there that night with my son. It was one of the cars that caught my eye since it was so clean. Then he started it. The car sounds great!

Jason
Yeah he's had some issues the past couple of years as a few of us have lol. But he did a 4L60 conversion and I think he has most of the bugs worked out. His car is very clean and sounds awesome as always.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Yeah he's had some issues the past couple of years as a few of us have lol. But he did a 4L60 conversion and I think he has most of the bugs worked out. His car is very clean and sounds awesome as always.
It was very clean and well put together it seemed.

And I can can understand that. Mine was down for a year and a half due to transmission issues. I finally resolved it with a Powerglide and Gear Vendors swap along with a 4:11 rear differential and CF driveshaft. I hope my transmission issue days are over. Lol

Old 04-02-2016, 07:46 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Looks great man. Can't wait to see it run.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that was me... I was trying to hit the show once more before I started this 40 day Turn Around on nights...

Thanks for the compliments... Yeah it's been a rough year and a half, two engine failures etc... Hopefully it's coming around now.. I'm still not rushing it to the track until winter time tho.. I'd like it to run for 6 months at a time, that would be a record..

It's a 404", F1R, RPM 4l60E....
Old 04-05-2016, 04:17 AM
9 Second Club

I hear ya'. Been working a ton myself. 7 and 2 or 8 and 1. Back to back for a while now. I'm actually on my night set, 1st of 7. Where you work?

The car was beautiful, and sounded great. Love me a good cammed Procharger large CI setup. Yours didn't disappoint!

I was in the black GTO on the same lane as you, down the lot a bit further. Hope to see you out again, I'll stop and say hello.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Silver C5Z at Kemah car show Saturday night.-20160311_131628.jpg  
Old 04-05-2016, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Yes that was me... I was trying to hit the show once more before I started this 40 day Turn Around on nights...

Thanks for the compliments... Yeah it's been a rough year and a half, two engine failures etc... Hopefully it's coming around now.. I'm still not rushing it to the track until winter time tho.. I'd like it to run for 6 months at a time, that would be a record..

It's a 404", F1R, RPM 4l60E....
sorry to hear about your engine failures. what caused the failures?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kingsize
I hear ya'. Been working a ton myself. 7 and 2 or 8 and 1. Back to back for a while now. I'm actually on my night set, 1st of 7. Where you work?

The car was beautiful, and sounded great. Love me a good cammed Procharger large CI setup. Yours didn't disappoint!

I was in the black GTO on the same lane as you, down the lot a bit further. Hope to see you out again, I'll stop and say hello.

Jason

Thanks!

I work at OXY Vinyls (OXY Chem). We are in the beginning of our 5 year total plant outage.. Pretty much sucks ***...

I'll be down and out until mid May probably. Definitely hit me up next time you plan to come out to Kemah or the Pearland meet on Friday night.

I'm just gonna cruise my car for the summer/fall, then maybe get it to the track in the winter.. Every time it goes to the track, it breaks something so I'm not in a real big hurry to put it up on jack stands again.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdoyle
sorry to hear about your engine failures. what caused the failures?

Well... The original LS6 motor popped back in 2012 after 6k miles of boost.....(622rwhp..

Then I built a 402, it made 901rwhp and I had it for a year and a half, put 8k miles on it, then it ate the #4 main bearing due to the Compstar crank flexing like a liquorish stick...

I rebuilt the 402 and replaced the Compstar crank/rods with a Dragonslayer and Ultra HD billet rods... Went to a custom BTR cam. That one made it 2 months and 2k miles before it managed to detonate and melt some pistons/rings..

This year I rebuilt it again, a slight over bore to true up the cylinders and go to a .010" over piston.. Now it's a 404", with the Dragonslayer/billet rods.

So far, so good, but I have it turned way down on power.. Pig rich afr and 13* timing, cold plugs etc.. Just trying to keep it alive...tired of working on it etc.... It's probably about 800-850 rwhp through the auto right now...
Old 04-06-2016, 07:03 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks!

I work at OXY Vinyls (OXY Chem). We are in the beginning of our 5 year total plant outage.. Pretty much sucks ***...

I'll be down and out until mid May probably. Definitely hit me up next time you plan to come out to Kemah or the Pearland meet on Friday night.

I'm just gonna cruise my car for the summer/fall, then maybe get it to the track in the winter.. Every time it goes to the track, it breaks something so I'm not in a real big hurry to put it up on jack stands again.
Sounds like a plan, and I will do. It's few and far between, but I like to show up there on occasion.

Good luck with the outage!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well... The original LS6 motor popped back in 2012 after 6k miles of boost.....(622rwhp..

Then I built a 402, it made 901rwhp and I had it for a year and a half, put 8k miles on it, then it ate the #4 main bearing due to the Compstar crank flexing like a liquorish stick...

I rebuilt the 402 and replaced the Compstar crank/rods with a Dragonslayer and Ultra HD billet rods... Went to a custom BTR cam. That one made it 2 months and 2k miles before it managed to detonate and melt some pistons/rings..

This year I rebuilt it again, a slight over bore to true up the cylinders and go to a .010" over piston.. Now it's a 404", with the Dragonslayer/billet rods.

So far, so good, but I have it turned way down on power.. Pig rich afr and 13* timing, cold plugs etc.. Just trying to keep it alive...tired of working on it etc.... It's probably about 800-850 rwhp through the auto right now...
dang man. those setbacks sound discouraging.

i hear you loud and clear on the tired of working on it.

do you know what caused the detonation in the rebuilt 402?

do you do your own tuning or do you have someone else tune the car? If someone else tunes it, who?

I am unhappy with the tune in my car and need to figure out my next move. I am having trouble reaching the guy and am trying to figure out the best way to get my money back.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdoyle
dang man. those setbacks sound discouraging.

i hear you loud and clear on the tired of working on it.

do you know what caused the detonation in the rebuilt 402?

do you do your own tuning or do you have someone else tune the car? If someone else tunes it, who?

I am unhappy with the tune in my car and need to figure out my next move. I am having trouble reaching the guy and am trying to figure out the best way to get my money back.
Well.... Initially, BlownBlueZ06 in Forney tuned it a few years ago... It always had some bugs in it and he worked on it on and off but never got it 100%... After I rebuilt it from the Compstar crank failure, I went to a much larger cam, BlownBlueZ06 remote tuned it and couldn't get the bugs out of it remotely, then it melted the 4 pistons before I could take it up to Forney for him to road tune it... After that, I started working on the driveability tuning...( I had always done the wot tuning).

I have gotten input from a lot of locals, we are making progress etc but it still has some bugs... We force it to run in open loop full time and it drives much better then in closed loop...

As for the detonation, no idea... I had 10 logs on it and only on ONE log did something appear to have happened, midway in 3rd, it seems the duty cycle dropped like the injectors pulsewidth reduced itself....The engine leaned out for .9 sec in 3rd to 14.4 afr at 20 psi... It never did it again after that, however we never determined what caused it. It showed 1.5* KR. I THINK that was the kill shot, however for less then 1 second, I couldn't see it hurting 4 pistons. It had BR7EF plugs and only 15* of timing in it, with dual M15 nozzles of meth.. It "shouldn't" have detonated but......

Now I have it set really conservative at 13* timing, 10.7 afr, BR8ES plugs...probably giving up 100hp but....I'm just trying to keep it alive.

Quick Reply: Silver C5Z at Kemah car show Saturday night.