good carb/nitrous tuner in East Texas

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good carb/nitrous tuner in East Texas

My wife and I picked up a "new" ride over the Christmas holidays.

The car has a 383 with 4340 components, roller cam, Dart heads, single plane, Holley 750, built 350 with brake, 12-bolt with 4.10 gears, full chromoly cage, NOS Big Shot.

I'd like to find someone to tune it on a dyno NA by adjusting timing and the carb to get it dialed in. Then I'd like to put 200 jets in the plate and adjust it on nitrous to a safe tune. The ignition is all MSD including a Digital 6AL box. Our plan is to mainly show it but I'd like to run some Super Chevy events throughout the year in True Street since it has mufflers, lights, etc. and is DOT legal.

Any suggestions? I know it's not an LS engine but thought someone on here would know a reputable tuner.

Thanks.

Scott
Old 01-10-2017, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That car is absolutely gorgeous. The thing about a carburetor is a dyno just isn't necessary to get it dialed in. A carburetor doesn't adjust itself on the fly like fuel injection with VE tables. A cheap book and some time at the drag strip is the way to go. Holley 4150 manual secondary carburetors with four corner idle are super easy to tune. Just make sure you tune it for short times first.(60', 330', 660', etc.) I am not saying a dyno is a waste of time but the track is where it needs finished up anyway.

Last edited by codyvette; 01-10-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for the compliment as well as for the advice. I never really thought about investing a day at a test and tune but that's a cheap and fun way to tackle it. The last several cars that I've built were fuel injected computer cars so I've been away from carbs and distributors for about 20 years. The car has very nice gauges but not an AFR. Maybe find a dyno and do a couple nitrous pulls to adjust jets to get a safe number? Then finish everything at a track?

The previous owner said the car went 11.70s NA and 10.70s on 150 jets. If that is what it truly runs in street trim I'll be happy with it and call it a day.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a plan. Good luck. Drag racing season is fast approaching. I am excited.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a carb guy by any means, but if it was my car I would probably throw a wideband on it straight away. Compared to the motor, the wideband will be a cheap investment. Obviously you are no stranger to nitrous so you know the potential risks. Then again, if you melt a couple of pistons you could always swap in an LS motor an efi Very nice car, hope to see it around town some time.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zachm89
Not a carb guy by any means, but if it was my car I would probably throw a wideband on it straight away. Compared to the motor, the wideband will be a cheap investment. Obviously you are no stranger to nitrous so you know the potential risks. Then again, if you melt a couple of pistons you could always swap in an LS motor an efi Very nice car, hope to see it around town some time.
Hey, another Longview resident. Cool!

We'll be out and about as soon as I get plates and the weather gets sunny. Looking forward to local car shows as soon as they get going.

Scott
Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
Hey, another Longview resident. Cool!

We'll be out and about as soon as I get plates and the weather gets sunny. Looking forward to local car shows as soon as they get going.

Scott
Yes sir, born and raised here. Moved to Dallas for about 4 years but Longview called me back home. Id like to get out to some car shows when the weather gets nice and stays nice for a while but for now my car just sits awaiting an engine transplant. I just dont have the time or place to work on the damn thing.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the Chevelle. Try this: http://www.4secondsflat.com/Demon_Tuning_Guide.html

Quick Reply: good carb/nitrous tuner in East Texas