Passing Emissions in Denton

Old 02-17-2017, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by JC316
Yes, it's bullshit and no it's not just on my personal car. Of course I've seen aftermarket cats fail, just like I've seen stock ones fail. You're acting like every high flow cat is going to die in 6 months and you're dead wrong.

Yes it is macho bullshit because the high flows don't kill that much power, it's negligible. You're no different from the idiots that run stacks on a diesel and tune it to roll coal, or the ricers with the fart cannon. It's not a power thing, it's an image thing. I can and do have just as much power as running catless and still maintain legality.

As for the smell, I don't like getting out of my car smelling like exhaust, but that is just personal opinion.
I agree, stock cats do fail. I never said they didn't, the evidence is in everything I've written.

When my service writer decides to send cars out for aftermarket cats rather than OEM they come back almost every time, and I've seen that since 1998. When we use OE they don't. Call that bullshit all you want, doesn't change the truth in it. Call some shops, not your friends that work on their cars, but shops that do MANY cars a day and ask them if what I am saying is bullshit, if you're interested in being open minded and learning that is. Call a repair shop. Exhaust shops have reason to steer you toward aftermarket. Repair shops make money on either one.

It's not macho to not run cats, it's just pointless if they aren't needed. Have you never smelled the strong odor of sulfur after pounding on a car? That's the cat. I've never had a car that stunk that didn't have cats, and i've removed them from many of my cars. You don't like getting out of your car smelling like exhaust? How the hell does not having a cat make you smell like exhaust inside your car? Did you route the pipes into the car?

"I'm just like those idiots".... Weren't you the one that said it's not wise to make assumptions?

I didn't mean to get you all in your feelings man, no reason to name call. Maybe you can come back with something when you've calmed down.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

00, I have definitely seen what you are talking about on stock, OEM cars. My point is simply that there are a **** ton of ways to skin a cat.

My racecar has open headers and doesn't smell. A well tune car has minimal stank. I sure don't understand calling someone an idiot over such a thing, that's for sure. As far as diesel trucks, those coal rollers sure out pull the clean burners a lot. I would never do such a thing but they sure haul it.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I agree, stock cats do fail. I never said they didn't, the evidence is in everything I've written.

When my service writer decides to send cars out for aftermarket cats rather than OEM they come back almost every time, and I've seen that since 1998. When we use OE they don't. Call that bullshit all you want, doesn't change the truth in it. Call some shops, not your friends that work on their cars, but shops that do MANY cars a day and ask them if what I am saying is bullshit, if you're interested in being open minded and learning that is. Call a repair shop. Exhaust shops have reason to steer you toward aftermarket. Repair shops make money on either one.

It's not macho to not run cats, it's just pointless if they aren't needed. Have you never smelled the strong odor of sulfur after pounding on a car? That's the cat. I've never had a car that stunk that didn't have cats, and i've removed them from many of my cars. You don't like getting out of your car smelling like exhaust? How the hell does not having a cat make you smell like exhaust inside your car? Did you route the pipes into the car?

"I'm just like those idiots".... Weren't you the one that said it's not wise to make assumptions?

I didn't mean to get you all in your feelings man, no reason to name call. Maybe you can come back with something when you've calmed down.
I do work on multiple cars daily and you're greatly exaggerating the failure rate of aftermarket cats. More than likely there is something else wrong with the car, which is causing the failures.

But they are needed to pass inspection. My firebird had dumps on it, that ****** reeked of exhaust, I promptly fixed that.

Don't take it personally, I call everyone an idiot. I always LOL when perfect strangers on the internet think they hurt my feelings.

We are never going to agree on this point, you think catless is great and I don't. You think that aftermarket cats die easily, and I don't. It's a free country, we can both do as we please.

Originally Posted by codyvette
00, I have definitely seen what you are talking about on stock, OEM cars. My point is simply that there are a **** ton of ways to skin a cat.

My racecar has open headers and doesn't smell. A well tune car has minimal stank. I sure don't understand calling someone an idiot over such a thing, that's for sure. As far as diesel trucks, those coal rollers sure out pull the clean burners a lot. I would never do such a thing but they sure haul it.
The coal rollers are wasting fuel and potential power.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette

I agree man.

Originally Posted by JC316
I do work on multiple cars daily and you're greatly exaggerating the failure rate of aftermarket cats. More than likely there is something else wrong with the car, which is causing the failures.

But they are needed to pass inspection. My firebird had dumps on it, that ****** reeked of exhaust, I promptly fixed that.

Don't take it personally, I call everyone an idiot. I always LOL when perfect strangers on the internet think they hurt my feelings.

We are never going to agree on this point, you think catless is great and I don't. You think that aftermarket cats die easily, and I don't. It's a free country, we can both do as we please.

The coal rollers are wasting fuel and potential power.
I data stream cars and watch the functionality level of the cats before condemning them and they come in with cat codes already. When they come in with cat code(s) I monitor oxygen sensor speed/functionality to confirm it is the converter itself. I first watch for 02 performance since you can't accurately view a converters performance without proper 02 performance. While in the data stream I look at MAP KPA, MAF readings, BARO, STFT, and LTFT. I'll also watch ECT and IAT to make sure nothing is contributing. I'll also look into the misfire monitor or cylinder contribution tables to verify a weak cylinder isn't a contributor. These cars are cat only problems, i'm not throwing cars in the mix that have failures of the cat due to outside influence. And I'm not exaggerating the failure rate.

Needed to pass inspection? For some people I guess, my SS passed 5 years straight with no cats and not having a hookup or paying anyone. I just pulled up, they plugged into it and it passed. They are supposed to be there but they don't have to be in some situations and that's what I am referencing. Some don't care about the law and the OP didn't. I had two different Acura Integras and a Honda Accord that didn't have cats and those cars would pass the sniffer up the tail pipe, all I had to do was set the timing just right ( a hair advanced ) to keep the HC's down since they raise with no cat but not advanced to far to keep the NOx down. They passed no problem. Knowing what you're doing and how to manipulate the measured emmisions goes a long way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passing Emissions in Denton