Looking to move to Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I'm aware of no income tax, that's a nice perk.

I looked into state inspections and emissions as well. Once I sell my G8, I doubt I'll mod anything younger than 25 years again. I want to restomod a muscle car from the 60's or 70's. I'll still have my truck as a daily, which I'm told a lot of people daily truck down there anyways.

How much of a PITA is a state inspection? CT never had one, so I'm not sure what it entails. I went online to Texas dmv, and it seems like a basic safety inspection. Do they fail you for rust or a missing ebrake assembly? My truck bed is starting to bubble, and my e brake cable setup is MIA.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Rusty is OK. Must have e brake or a nice guy.

Last edited by codyvette; 03-06-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Teching In

I live in southern Massachusetts, and my wife and I have been talking about moving to texas for a long time. In 2014 I got a job with a big construction company, and while my office is in Warwick, RI - We also have an office in Austin TX as well as 3 other locations across the country. We went to Austin for a week back in October and fell in love. We also looked at some real estate while we were there. We can sell our house and get a 5 bed dream house for what we paid in MA and my salary won't go down.

I can't wait to get the hell out of here. I am so sick of winter and social justice warriors all around me. I want a year long motorcycle riding season and rust free projects.

Good luck, and I'll be right behind you come 2018!!
Old 03-06-2017, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by K10Turbo
Yes I'm aware of no income tax, that's a nice perk.

I looked into state inspections and emissions as well. Once I sell my G8, I doubt I'll mod anything younger than 25 years again. I want to restomod a muscle car from the 60's or 70's. I'll still have my truck as a daily, which I'm told a lot of people daily truck down there anyways.

How much of a PITA is a state inspection? CT never had one, so I'm not sure what it entails. I went online to Texas dmv, and it seems like a basic safety inspection. Do they fail you for rust or a missing ebrake assembly? My truck bed is starting to bubble, and my e brake cable setup is MIA.

The safety inspection is easy. Lights, wipers, seatbelts, brakes, Ebrake, tires, horn, etc.

The emissions inspection is a little trickier. 96+ hooks up to the computer and if you don't have a check engine light, it should pass. Pre 96 it's the dyno and sniffer. If the car is over 25 years old, it's safety inspection only.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:39 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Racing and car scene in Houston is bad ***. Always something going on. No snow like dalla gets some times. Dallas is cluttered as F and Houston is payed out much bigger. Kingwood and woodlands are north side places that are preferred by many. I'm in porter where we have nice sized lots and I don't have any complaints. Some years the heat can get crazy, but last year never got out of the 90s in the hottest part of the day.

TX2k17 is upon us in a week. Which is the super bowl of street craving that happens every year. Should be a blast as usual. 5)3 dog racing scene is taking over from the usual roll racing that was a big deal for a while.

Tons of shops to do work, I started my own shop last year and if you were in to the business, there is plenty of work out there to be had.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

I really appreciate all the responses and information guys. Thank you.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Seriously. If you visit, give us a heads up and maybe one or some of us can show you around or at least have a burger or drink with you.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 007FJ
Texas is full.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Too damn funny!!!
Old 03-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks 007.

I probably won't fly down for a least a month or two, but I'll let you guys know when I come down, and if anyone wants to get a meet together of any size, I'd be down. Or even if I fly down and if something else is happening for a car meet or get together, I'd be inclined to go. Thanks
Old 03-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Hey guys,

quick question I forgot to ask. How does the State tax work? I notice it can range from 6%-8.25 I think. Does it vary from county to county? Where is it higher? In CT it's just a "flat tax" across the state of 6.35%.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everywhere I have been in the state has always been 8.25% unless I just wasn't paying attention and it was different somewhere. Chances are you'll never notice it's different in different areas unless you look at every receipt you ever get haha.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

And if I got a job in the DFW or Houston area, which areas should I look for temporary housing? I'd want to live in a quieter area, and hopefully avoid any Armageddon traffic. My thoughts are, if I decide to stay, I'd live in a temporary place for about a year, then look into getting a house.
Look for high ground. Don't rent or buy at the bottom of a hill. The flooding can get real serious real quick, especially in the Houston area.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Zach. Dang that's a bump from CT tax, I guess that's how the state makes up for no income tax.

Sixpak: Yeah I'm a fan of SRV, I've heeded his warnings haha.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Hey guys,

quick question I forgot to ask. How does the State tax work? I notice it can range from 6%-8.25 I think. Does it vary from county to county? Where is it higher? In CT it's just a "flat tax" across the state of 6.35%.
Counties that host Major Metro areas like Houston, Ft.Worth-Dallas, San Antonio and the like often have city and/or county sales taxes added to the State Sales Tax rate. State sales tax rate is 6.25%. The added sales tax does not apply to some major purchases like automobiles, boats, and the like. (At least here in the Dallas area they don't.)
Old 03-16-2017, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SixPak
Counties that host Major Metro areas like Houston, Ft.Worth-Dallas, San Antonio and the like often have city and/or county sales taxes added to the State Sales Tax rate. State sales tax rate is 6.25%. The added sales tax does not apply to some major purchases like automobiles, boats, and the like. (At least here in the Dallas area they don't.)
No sales tax on cars? I've paid sales tax on every used car and motorcycle I've ever bought. When you register the title, you pay sales tax based on what you paid, or 80% of what the state says it is worth (which ever is higher).
Old 03-17-2017, 05:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mojave
No sales tax on cars? I've paid sales tax on every used car and motorcycle I've ever bought. When you register the title, you pay sales tax based on what you paid, or 80% of what the state says it is worth (which ever is higher).
Read what I posted again.........look for the word added.

Some counties add to the state sales tax their own sales tax. That portion of sales tax is not applied to the purchase of automobiles, meaning in Dallas for instance, that you pay 6.25% sales tax on an automobile, not 8.25% like you would on a six pack of beer.
Clear as mud?

Last edited by SixPak; 03-17-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SixPak
Read what I posted again.........look for the word added.

Some counties add to the state sales tax their own sales tax. That portion of sales tax is not applied to the purchase of automobiles, meaning in Dallas for instance, that you pay 6.25% sales tax on an automobile, not 8.25% like you would on a six pack of beer.
Clear as mud?
Ooops, my bad, you are correct. My apologies, what is what I get for reading in a hurry.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Ahh good to know, thank you for mentioning that.

Quick Reply: Looking to move to Texas.