south Austin-can anyone recommend a mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default south Austin-can anyone recommend a mechanic

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a specific shop in South Austin around Slaughter and Brodie. I'm a broke college kid and was hoping to find a cheap shop that will do a good job and not screw me over. Please let me know of bad experiences as well as any good ones. PLEEEEEEEEEASE help if you can. THANKS!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:55 AM
Mustang Moderator

What kind of work are you looking at getting done?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:15 AM
Teching In

not really sure. Somehow I ran over a concrete median and banged up the underneath side of my car pretty bad. Now it's overheating, running kinda rough and picking up pretty slow. I recently replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap, and the temp has been fine. When it overheated this afternoon, the fluid that was bubbling out was pretty brown. I'm afraid there might be oil in the radiator, which wouldn't be good. I will have to get it checked out, and may need quite a bit of work done.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:27 AM
Mustang Moderator

I'm not really fluent with Austin and where everything is located, but there is a shop off of N. Lamar called Texas Motorsports. They deal with a lot of different types of cars, and the owner, Mike, is a really good guy.

The site isn't finished yet, but there is contact information as well as the address: http://www.texas-motorsports.com

Good luck with getting your problems worked out!

Arron
Old 09-26-2005, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

also, American Racing Tech is a shop in Buda, south of Austin... they're geared more toward Vipers and LS1 Vettes and f-bodies but they can help you out... they have a sponsor link somewhere on LS1Tech here...

but, before all that, I suggest you join the Austin F-body site and post up in the F-body discussion section... www.afbforums.com ... you'll have to register to post in or start a thread but there is a vast LT1 knowledge base there and several LT1ers that live south or live in San Marcos...
Old 09-26-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Robert's Automotive
5804 S Congress Ave
443-8774

or

Murphy's Garage
3801 Wadford
442-1030

Robert's would be cheaper but it depends on the work you need whether or not he could do it. I would just suggest driving over there and letting him check it out, if he can't help you out he is honest enough to admit that. Talk to Robert directly.
Otherwise, Murphy's is a great garage but a little more expensive. He can do it all however, so talk with John Murphy and let check it out on the lift too. Tell both of them that Robert Nixon sent ya and good luck!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

see, look at that... LS1s and LT1s living in harmony... the end of the world can't possibly be too far off :rofl:

I didn't know you were on LS1Tech, Bob
Old 09-26-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah, just not that much. AFB is sooooo much more friendly man! LOL