Insurance Question / Gun Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Insurance Question / Gun Question

Does having full coverage insurance cover getting your car keyed? My car got keyed pretty bad but I don't know if I should claim now to fix 1 side or what. Also, I have a CHL and can I shoot to protect my property?? If someone is vandalizing my property, can I use deadly force? I really cannot remember and don't feel like looking it up.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a CHL you should really study up on this stuff. The short answer is YES-IF AT NIGHT TIME you can. But would you really want to? It wouldnt be worth it, and you can quote me on that. Shooting someone is not something you just do and go on about your business like you ran over a squirrel. There will be a criminal investigation, you will probably be charged with homicide(if they die, otherwise it'll be a different charge), have to get a lawyer, have to go before a grand jury hearing before you can have the charges dropped and it ruled "justifiable homicide". You are also open to the possibility of being sued in civil court-which means you have to hire another lawyer. And just because you shoot someone does not mean they are guaranteed to die(unless you execute them, which will land you in prison), so that person may be around after the shooting to lie about what happened and make it seem like he was just minding his own business and happened to be next to your car when you shot him for no reason.

You really need to consider these things when you carry a gun.

If it were me, I would buy a non-lethal means of self defense, like FOX labs pepper spray, which is one of the hottest you can buy(makes your face feel like its being cut off with a torch, swells your eyes shut-makes it hard to breath), and use that stuff for situations like that.

FYI-the website for this stuff is http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/pe.toc.htm

Chapter 9 is what your looking for, and this is what it says:

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

i vote for shoot now ask questions later.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

....note to self...... u luz is my friend........
Old 10-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Teching In

definately check into the gun thing. i took the chl class, but decided not to get the permit because of the possible legal repercushions if i ever had to use it. for stolen property/vanelism i'd say a big no. if someone is threatening you/your family then you're got a lot more to stand on. remember that you may get off in a criminal case, but lose your *** in civil court. sometimes the legal systems really sucks.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, full coverage insurance does cover your car getting vandalized. Your premium should not go up because i believe it would be under your comprehensive coverage.

Something you may want to consider before claiming is that if you decide to change ins. co. they will see that you had a claim on that car and you will not get the cheapest rate. This may not really matter to you, just something to think about ahead of time.

IMO i would claim it, and get it fixed.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you're carrying a gun just to cap someone...put the gun in a safe....and don't ever take it back out.

For the matter of vandelism.....no. You'd lose your *** in court. MAYBE, if they were stealing your car in the middle of the night on your property, I could see you getting away with killing someone. Otherwise, you need to be threatened by the individual.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Your full coverage insurance will cover it- someone keyed my moms truck- all the way around- and her insurance covered repainting.