fun Saturday in Gtown

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up fun Saturday in Gtown

So i was out at the "meet" saturday in Gtown, alot of good action: bikes, mustangs, f-bodys, gto, imports and a lightning. I was standing there with my buddies watching the races. Saw an M3 beat the hell out of an 2004 A4 gto, rumored to be stock. The guy driving the M3 launched his car like it was on slicks....it was unreal...pulled like a car out of the hole on the gto and a modded mustang gt. The M3 was actually on 19in rims with stock rubber lol . So a few minutes later the guy driving the M3 comes up and asks us whos T/A that was, I said it was mine. He asked if i wanted to run it and i said not now for a variety of reasons . 1st the road is kinda bumpy in spots and isnt too safe for fast cars. 2nd im a ***** and fear the police factor. 3rd im on stock tires and nearly stock suspension. So I sit around and talk to the guy for a few minutes and i finally give in and decide to run from a roll at my request.... . First run was from 20mph, and after three honks i just got on it .....no traction, scares the M3 into shutting down, i pull ahead a little after it was already over. We went again from 20mph i took it easy on the throttle, got safely into second, spun a little into third, by that time I had a 1 1/2 car lead. So its Ws6=2 M3 =0, now he asks me to run from a stop , I figured since he was kind enough to go from a roll like a wanted, the least i could do is a REAL race from a stop at his request. So after 3 honks he jumps a good 1 1/2 cars on me out of the hole . I took off like normal driving so not to melt the tires, as soon as i feel i have suffecient traction im already about 2 cars behind. I get on my car and start to reel him in, passing him pretty hard at 80ish mph. We both pull over and talk, i compliment his launch and he was amazed with my top end and how fast i caught up. I find out his car is bone stock, and he is one hell of a driver .

So, after a fun night of watching and participating everyone goes home without an incident.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed the story. Next weekend ill try to get some videos.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

suprised you went anywhere . that place is like racing in a litterbox! foughedaboutit.. raced a lt1 s10 out there a while back. from a stop. he had at least 6 cars on me before i could even move. would suck to lose it and go off the seawall. would be sleeping with the fishes!
Old 10-17-2005, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

theres an early 90s s10 blazer out there sometimes, on slicks and skinnies. He beat the living **** out of my car when it was just bolt ons; id proabaly still lose now.

and you really cant fall off seawall where we were, racing down seawall through traffic is a very bad idea.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Teching In

I lived in G-town for about 5 years till I moved to houston. I went to the hill on saturdays alot an if your car has any kind of power you wont get traction.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by F8LVNM
I lived in G-town for about 5 years till I moved to houston. I went to the hill on saturdays alot an if your car has any kind of power you wont get traction.
exactly.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

was there a meet out there?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Did you go out there at night or day.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The road you are talking about is decent if you run high 12s, ive had a few of my cars out there and not been to happy with the road conditions. I actually looped my RX7 out due to the huge *** bumps in the road. There is one section that is decent for running 1/8 mile but that is about it. Its still fun anyways, but there is a much better road over by where i reside. Sounds like fun, i should have come out but i was too busy studdying...... BLAH
Old 10-17-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
was there a meet out there?
yes, its more of a weekly thing on saturday. nothing organized
Old 10-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Hey VerySloWs6 have you seen the blue neon srt out there its pritty fast he has stg 3 turbo an a 75 shot an runs 12.1s in the 1/4.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

yeah ive seen a blue one, didnt really know the exact mods. There used to be alot out there and they ran in a pack . I raced 2 black ones and a red one last year when i had just full exhaust and lid. I won most of the races, except for one that i missed 3rd , and the dude in the black SRT-4 wouldnt run again saying : "thats enough for tonight". I got pretty flamed .
Old 10-17-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BBADWS6
The road you are talking about is decent if you run high 12s, ive had a few of my cars out there and not been to happy with the road conditions. I actually looped my RX7 out due to the huge *** bumps in the road. There is one section that is decent for running 1/8 mile but that is about it. Its still fun anyways, but there is a much better road over by where i reside. Sounds like fun, i should have come out but i was too busy studdying...... BLAH
Call me if you decide to go out this saturday, ill be out there and the people i know with their slow *** ridez . Just come out and watch, dont bring out the monster.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

I bet that M3 had the SMG (Semi Manual Gearbox) trans. They have a shift program that is called "Launch Control" It basicly does an F1 style launch with no work by the driver. Select shift program, pull stick to left (Or hold right Paddle) Put foot on floorboard. It will bring the car up to a few hundred under Red line and hold. As soon as you want to go let go of the stick (Or paddle) and it will slip the clutch and haul through the gears with no other input from the driver. It shifts at WOT and 300-400 rpms into the redline. As soon as you lift, it returns to normal mode. If you do it more than 7 times while you own the car, it voids the warranty.

Hooks up like a sum-a-bitch.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2002B4CCamaro
I bet that M3 had the SMG (Semi Manual Gearbox) trans. They have a shift program that is called "Launch Control" It basicly does an F1 style launch with no work by the driver. Select shift program, pull stick to left (Or hold right Paddle) Put foot on floorboard. It will bring the car up to a few hundred under Red line and hold. As soon as you want to go let go of the stick (Or paddle) and it will slip the clutch and haul through the gears with no other input from the driver. It shifts at WOT and 300-400 rpms into the redline. As soon as you lift, it returns to normal mode. If you do it more than 7 times while you own the car, it voids the warranty.

Hooks up like a sum-a-bitch.
How do they keep track of the 7 times? recorded in the cars computer? Never heard of that, I knew bimmers had some gadgets but not that
Old 10-18-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was gonna say it probably had some kickass traction control, but don't know anything else about them. The 7 times thing sounds like an urban legend.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Teching In

I might be out there this saturday night I havent been for a long time. Hope to see so people out there.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

It is logged in the computer. The 7 times thing is honestly in the warranty booklet, let me see if I can dig it up.....

The traction control, clutch, ECU all work well together........ But I would still rather have a 9 inch with some slicks.

edit: Just found that it is up to the dealer, based on wear up to 15. After that, your on your own. But, if you put your BDay in the iDrive when you buy the car, you get 3 Unlogged launches that month. Kinda a Easter Egg from BMW.

Crazy Germans!

Last edited by 2002B4CCamaro; 10-18-2005 at 11:43 PM.