help with laptops

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with laptops

I dont know a whole lot about them. I need one just for my ole lady to do papers for school and stuff like that, also surf the net. Would any of these be any good, I dont wanna spend a ton because I dont need it to do much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-latitude-CP...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true
Old 11-27-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Of those two, get the IBM. I LOVE their laptops (their keyboard are great) and they're pretty much bulletproof.

-Mike
Old 11-27-2005, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Is that a good buy or no??? Or do you know anyone or anywhere to get a good one?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

It's not a bad deal, but you can probably get more for your money. Ebay is a good place to start, but something you might try is calling up a computer salvage place. On one of my many stops along the corporate ladder, I worked for a company that was getting rid of its old equipment, some of which was not too shabby. They called a company (whose name I can't remember) who came out and picked everything up - for a fee - then re-furbished what could be salvaged and sold it. I don't know what kind of prices the stuff sold for, but it was probably pretty cheap.

If you find something, post up specs and I (or any of the other thousand computer geeks on this site) can help you out.

-Mike
Old 11-28-2005, 02:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Any specific price range your looking to work with.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:12 AM
TECH Regular

unless you really, really need a laptop, for going out of town on a weekly basis, I would just get a desktop. For the money you will spend, it will be 2 times a fast and a whole lot better. Laptops are over rated. You have to plug them in to charge them and after about a year or so of everyday use the battery will be worn out so much you either will buy a new one or keep it pluged in all the time and you pobally wont be able to plug it in at school. But the more ram the better, so the second one is a fastest one and if you going to be on the net you need more than a 233 with 64 megs of ram.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I run a Compaq Armada M700 for my mobile needs, and I love it. I've had it for 5 or so years. Its a 733Mhz w/384MB of RAM, which is the least I'd run on a computer these days on any of the latest and greatest operating systems.

As its been said, unless you need it to be portable, look into a budget Dell, brand new. They can be had for under 500 bucks and are fast as ****. You can even get small form factors that won't take up much room, between that and a flat screen monitor you can't go wrong.

Last edited by cyphur_traq; 11-28-2005 at 11:47 AM.