Big Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Problem

I'm in a bit of dilemma, and normally it wouldn't be something I'd worry about, but I don't know what to do and it's frustrating. I'm not normally the type of person to write out actual problems on here, but I just figured that maybe someone who might read this can help me. I'm having some problems with school and I really can't afford to miss out or take a break for a semester in order to straighten them up.
I attended Dallas Baptist University from Fall 04-Spring 05 and liked it, but it was expensive so I left. When I left I had a balance that I owed the school before I could have my transcript transferred to Tarrant County College. Well, TCC has a policy where they can accept me for one semester without a transcript, but I can't apply for the next semester without that transcript. I made it through my Fall 05 semester at TCC with no problem, but now it's time to apply for the Spring 06 semester and I still don't have my transcript to transfer to TCC, because the balance isn't paid off at DBU. My mom, Step-dad, and I agreed that I would just get a loan to pay off the balance, but none of that has gone through yet, and it's now time to apply for classes next semester. I tried applying for the loan myself, but I need a co-signer because I have no credit. Well, my Mom and Step-dad are trying to be approved for a loan consolidation for some of their prior loans, and my step-dad (co-signer) cannot have his credit checked until December 20th due to the consolidated loan process. This puts a big problem on my lap because December 20th is way too late for me to register for classes next semester. So it's pretty much a chain of events that all go back to $2,460 that needs to be paid off before anything else can happen. Not only is this a problem, but there are quite a few other remaining things that can withold me from applying to TCC again, or transferring back to DBU or even UTA; which is where I want to go. DBU would probably accept me back, but I can't enroll in new classes until my balance is paid off. UTA requires a transcript, and that takes me back to DBU witholding it again.
So technically, I cannot go any further with my schooling anywhere until this balance is paid. This is NOT a plea for money assistance at all so please don't take it that way. I'm just asking everyone I know for more available knowledge in this area than I have myself. If you might know something I can do, or have any suggestions....please feel free to tell me or e-mail me at livetoplayball23@hotmail.com
Old 11-29-2005, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

:ttt:
Old 11-29-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like you might have to take a semester off, work and pay that balance off. Otherwise you're going to be behind the curve for a while. If you can't get into classes this semester b/c of the balance anyhow, you may not have a choice.

If the colleges won't grant you an exception(even after talking to the deans), then you don't have many other options. Pay off the balance, or don't attend classes. See if they'll grant you an extension, that may be your only other option.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Ginger Hater

Go talk to Steve Rakoff in Tcc's counseling office. Tell him the story & he'll get you going; he is very understanding and cool.

www.collegeloansite.com
I've used them for all my finances, been great and haven't had any problems.

-jon
Old 11-29-2005, 09:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Taking a semester off to catch up financially isn't that big of a deal, everyone has probably done it. Put the books on the shelf and find a construction or offshore job for 6 months and you could probably pay for the rest of college with that.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Since my parents haven't paid for my last 3 semesters, I have also gone into debt.... Its not a good feeling; I have maxed out a couple of credit cards and have not been able to pay them off completely..... I have a couple of buds that are working shut down in chemical plants working 7/10's and the money they bring home is making me want to take a semester off and work an entire semester in order to catch up on bills and then some.... Good luck with your situation bro
-Robert