New engine after driving through water??

Old 12-15-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine after driving through water??

My co-worker has an RX-8 and drove through water yesterday....it died - no noise, no nothing, it just died.

The dealers says "new engine" for somewhere around $6k

What's up with that??
Old 12-15-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Insurance, if they have full coverage, may cover something like that, if its not intentional. Not sure why you would want to hydrolock a new motor in an RX-8, but some people do stupid ****.

Others will chime in, but I've heard stories of people having the insurance step up and shell out 4-6k for motors being hydrolocked.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I accidentally did that to my car when i first got it and insurance shelled out about that much for it. Lubbock doenst have a drainage system so when it rains it turns all the roads into rivers.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

someone I knew drove threw a big puddle once and the engine died... then he had the smart idea to try to start it back up and thats when it broke.

if it just died you should be able to clean it out but bent rods are not fixable
Old 12-15-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My neighborhood streets were all flooded yesterday and I still saw 1980's Corollas trying to make it thru with water halfway up their doors. I saw about 5 of them just on my street alone broken down.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

rx-8's are rotaries right?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
My neighborhood streets were all flooded yesterday and I still saw 1980's Corollas trying to make it thru with water halfway up their doors. I saw about 5 of them just on my street alone broken down.

Last year one of our brilliant neighbors drove through our yard because the intersection was flooded....the joys of a corner house. When the moron got around the "corner" they discovered that the side street was flooded too - so they parked their damn truck in our lawn and walked home. The other half went out in the rain just to make sure the idiot realized that they were indeed parked on our lawn. Of course the idiot's reaction was predictable - the lady actually said "What did you expect me to do? The intersection was flooded!"

I won't repeat what the other half's response was

AND while the damn truck was sitting there an 18 wheeler cut the corner because of a stalled car that was actually in the street, ripped out the stop sign, and left a nice pair of ruts about a foot deep around 40' long. Obviously the truck didn't stop, but the deputies tracked it down and we got that part of the lawn fixed
Old 12-15-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

The RX-8 is a rotary...the Renesis is the latest engine.

How stupid can people be? (silly question, I know)

I saw two yesterday just around the corner from the office. I was on my way to have lunch and I simply found another route.

I am positive full coverage will cover hydrolock. Heck I even thought about it yesterday..."boy it sure would be nice to get a new engine"

Brian
Old 12-16-2005, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ArcticSS
Last year one of our brilliant neighbors drove through our yard because the intersection was flooded....the joys of a corner house. When the moron got around the "corner" they discovered that the side street was flooded too - so they parked their damn truck in our lawn and walked home. The other half went out in the rain just to make sure the idiot realized that they were indeed parked on our lawn. Of course the idiot's reaction was predictable - the lady actually said "What did you expect me to do? The intersection was flooded!"

I won't repeat what the other half's response was

AND while the damn truck was sitting there an 18 wheeler cut the corner because of a stalled car that was actually in the street, ripped out the stop sign, and left a nice pair of ruts about a foot deep around 40' long. Obviously the truck didn't stop, but the deputies tracked it down and we got that part of the lawn fixed
Idiots. Where is the common sense now a days?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:08 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't see a rotary engine getting damaged from a flood. There are no rods to bend.

Just drain it
Old 12-16-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sucked up water and broke #7 rod and my insurance claimed my motor as a accident of a natural disaster and paid for my new LS6 to be put in my car. I covered the $300 difference from the LS1 to the LS6. I still have my OEM motor on a stand and repaired.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I can't see a rotary engine getting damaged from a flood. There are no rods to bend.

Just drain it
Kinda what I was thinking, not like there's a compression stroke.

And yes, if your motor dies, DON'T restart it. Pull the plugs, and crank it. this will shoot the water out. Once you get the water out, then change the oil ASAP.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I hyperlocked my engine on Wednesday. I took out all of my plugs yesterday, turned it over a few times and it shot all the water out. Then when I put them all back in, I started it and some more came out of the exhaust. It runs fine now, but I hope he didn't try to turn it over too many times with water inside. Water doesn't compress like air.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

rotary engines aren't that simple, it probably broke the apex seals like i would a rod in a normal eninge. sure draining it will free it up but will have no or little compression anyway better off calling the insurance in on this one.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Am i the only one who doesnt drive their car in the rain???
Old 12-17-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Venkman
Am i the only one who doesnt drive their car in the rain???
A little water won't hurt a car.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Haha, I guess a better question is "are we the only people that dont drive through large bodies of standing water...?" I will admit that rain alone and small puddles won't hurt anything, but if you ever have a doubt... go around or check first! Id rather have wet shoes than a hydrolocked car.

Sorry... just my 2 cents.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Good point!

Search this Thread