Question about LCAs

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about LCAs

Hi,

OK, so everyone wants aftermarket LCAs. Is this for drag racing or for road racing?

I don't drag race myself (love to watch), but I adore a good road course. I've had my SS around several courses in the Pacific Northwest, but I'm not too sure the LCAs are intended for cornering.

I DID put on Stainless Steel Brake Company brakes (slotted but not cross drilled ... cross drilled are the pits on a road course since they crack along the holes in 3 or 4 laps, assuming they are HOT laps with corners), but am really wondering about the LCAs for a car intended for cornering.

Any advice there?

Also, anyone have a good suggestion for an IRS rear end for a 4th-gen Camaro? This solid axle has got to go ....
Old 12-22-2005, 09:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

you can make a solid axle handle just fine. Funny, last week Scott Settlemire posted a little known fact. Back in '99, the 1LE Camaro SS ran quicker lap times at their test track than a '99 Corvette. Imagine the uproar from the Corvette community had that fact gotten out.

LCA's reduce wheelhop, and also reduce side to side flex. The stock ones have mushy rubber bushings, the aftermarket ones either have poly or metal (heim joint) ends. This helps keep the rear suspension planted, even on curves.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Nine Ball.

Which LCA manufacturer uses heim joints? To me, that's better than poly, assuming there are zerks for lubrication.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

LG Motorsports sells them with heim-heim on both ends. Some people prefer poly on the body, heim on the axle. I've had sets of both, and they all seem to work about the same. Since you are into road racing more than drag, LG would be your best bet since that is what they specialize in.