Pro-Modified Racing in '06!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pro-Modified Racing in '06!!!!

I have been given the opportunity to go IHRA Pro-Modified racing in 2006. If anybody here follows Pro-Modified racing then you've probably heard that nitrous racers Dennis Radford and Billy Harper have joined up for the 06 Season. They've formed an official 2-car team to increase the odds of winning a Pro-Modified championship.

I will be crewing officially for Dennis Radford, but with a 2-car team you never know what you'll be doing.

Here are some pics of the two cars. Dennis Radford's car is the Corvette and Billy Harper's car is the Viper:

They've got 738 Cubic-Inch BBC's with tons of nitrous....
Old 01-03-2006, 10:05 PM
FormerVendor

wow, nice! never heard of the guys though. Maybe that's why they are teaming up. They ever win any races in '05?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Radford won one of the IHRA races in '05. Harper had a rough season, but finished alright. Radford finished 10th in points and Harper finished 11th. The goals are to at least finish in the top 5, and of course make a run for the points!
Old 01-03-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Outlaw is what I know best, LOL, and of course I'll still be racing with Ernie in COTT this season in Outlaw 10.5, but this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

damn i wish i had money to burn like that! i dont really follow pro-mod, but am sure to start following it since i now know someone in there! i usually follow outlaw lol
Old 01-03-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Here are some photo's from the event that Dennis Radford won. Not bad for his first year racing the full IHRA circuit.

Notice he's got the wrong scoop on it...LOL. He blew the scoop off in the first round of eliminations and had to borrow somebody elses for the rest of the event. Whoops!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Regular

Ben, ? for you?

Out of curiousity, how did you get this job? Were do you kn ow these guys from besides off of the boards "promodifieds.com, promodsource?" Are they going to be flying you out to every race? Also you say you know Outlaw, but you guys have not raced one race? "not nocking Ernie, understand his situation" but what have you did in Outlaw?

Im not trying to nock you, but what have you did or experince do you have to be qualified for a position like that.

I hope you the best with it, and not trying to nock you, just curious?

Rob
Old 01-04-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

Ben,

Congrats on the opportunity. A good customer and friend of mine Frankie Taylor decided that he's only contesting the Outlaw Promod class this upcoming year. Promod is a pretty cool class with tight racing and I know that the class in general is making great strides in time and speed; I think there were a few cars that got into the high fives this past year? Good luck;sometimes it pays to be in the right place at the right time!!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by robv910
Ben, ? for you?

Out of curiousity, how did you get this job? Were do you kn ow these guys from besides off of the boards "promodifieds.com, promodsource?" Are they going to be flying you out to every race? Also you say you know Outlaw, but you guys have not raced one race? "not nocking Ernie, understand his situation" but what have you did in Outlaw?

Im not trying to nock you, but what have you did or experince do you have to be qualified for a position like that.

I hope you the best with it, and not trying to nock you, just curious?

Rob
I've never met these guys personally, but it's one of those deals where I know somebody who knows somebody and I had some good words put in for me. Well, I met Billy Harper in Bradenton last year, but I don't think that counts. At first it didn't look like I was going to be able to help because they needed somebody with a CDL to drive the truck, but then they ended up finding a truck driver, so he said he'll give me a shot.

When I said I 'know' Outlaw, I mean it's the racing class I follow. I know a lot about it. I didn't mean I had experience racing in the class. I am still fairly familiar with the Pro-Modified stuff, but it sucks to see so many blower cars in the qualifying ladders. LOL.

They didn't hire me to go out there and tune the thing. They hired me to do the bitch-work. Pull plugs, run compression/leakdown tests, change tires, change bottles, and when necessary, pull heads and engines. It's not exactly rocket science.

I am definately excited about this year in Outlaw 10.5. I think we have a killer combination. We fully expect to jump into the game and make a run at the points championship. With all of the twin-turbo cars and car like Naiser's and Pizzino's car coming out we're going to have to be more consistant than a backet-car, but we've got some very good people on our side, and I'm 100% confident that we'll find a way to get the job done.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 95zpro
Ben,

Congrats on the opportunity. A good customer and friend of mine Frankie Taylor decided that he's only contesting the Outlaw Promod class this upcoming year. Promod is a pretty cool class with tight racing and I know that the class in general is making great strides in time and speed; I think there were a few cars that got into the high fives this past year? Good luck;sometimes it pays to be in the right place at the right time!!
Yeah Ernie is good friends with Frankie. He's a super nice guy, and he'll do well in the Outlaw ProMod stuff. And yes there were 2 or 3 5 second Pro-Modified passes this last year, as well as a handfull of 3.9x passes in the 1/8th mile. Right place right time is definately right. I'm just glad to be able to get my foot in the door somewhere. I'm anxious to get out there and prove myself to go those guys.

First test session is in St. Louis in March!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:43 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Congrads Ben.. And yes you can have time off when the racing begins.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Without pay.

-Mike
Old 01-04-2006, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like a fun opportunity. Do they pay you to be a crew member, or are you basically a slave?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Crew members get a percentage of any money won. Hopefully we can have a successfull season and I can make some money at the same time!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ben R
I've never met these guys personally, but it's one of those deals where I know somebody who knows somebody and I had some good words put in for me. Well, I met Billy Harper in Bradenton last year, but I don't think that counts. At first it didn't look like I was going to be able to help because they needed somebody with a CDL to drive the truck, but then they ended up finding a truck driver, so he said he'll give me a shot.

When I said I 'know' Outlaw, I mean it's the racing class I follow. I know a lot about it. I didn't mean I had experience racing in the class. I am still fairly familiar with the Pro-Modified stuff, but it sucks to see so many blower cars in the qualifying ladders. LOL.

They didn't hire me to go out there and tune the thing. They hired me to do the bitch-work. Pull plugs, run compression/leakdown tests, change tires, change bottles, and when necessary, pull heads and engines. It's not exactly rocket science.

I am definately excited about this year in Outlaw 10.5. I think we have a killer combination. We fully expect to jump into the game and make a run at the points championship. With all of the twin-turbo cars and car like Naiser's and Pizzino's car coming out we're going to have to be more consistant than a backet-car, but we've got some very good people on our side, and I'm 100% confident that we'll find a way to get the job done.
Sounds awesome man, have alot of fun with it, and learn as much as you can. Free knowledge is the best thing you can have in racing. I also look forward to seeing you guys run with the outlaw car. It gsoing to be really hard to compete, with Nasier, Pizzino, Stocklin, and a few others this year. You guys better be double barrelled "twins" to fight the outlaw war these days! Hook me up with some races to come watch! ADRL events rock. And there are talks of 10.5 racing happeneing this year with it`

See ya around
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Without pay.

-Mike
Hopefully I'll only miss a few days of work per event once we get going.
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speaking of makeing money why arnt you working Ben?

thomas
Old 01-04-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by robv910
Sounds awesome man, have alot of fun with it, and learn as much as you can. Free knowledge is the best thing you can have in racing. I also look forward to seeing you guys run with the outlaw car. It gsoing to be really hard to compete, with Nasier, Pizzino, Stocklin, and a few others this year. You guys better be double barrelled "twins" to fight the outlaw war these days! Hook me up with some races to come watch! ADRL events rock. And there are talks of 10.5 racing happeneing this year with it`

See ya around
Getting to learn all about the tune-ups and clutches and all of the other in's and out's is what I'm most excited about.

Outlaw is going to be a very exciting class. We're trying to be as prepared as possible, and I guess that's all we can do.

Dennis doesn't race in the ADRL because the Pro Nitrous class has half of the pay-out as the Pro Extreme class. I wish it wasn't like that because I've always wanted to go to the ADRL events. They're supposed to be some of the best. A lot of the Pro-Modified guys didn't seem to like the idea of Outlaw cars and Pro-Mods racing in the same event, but I can't think of a better show than to go see those two groups of cars at the same event.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1LSWON
speaking of makeing money why arnt you working Ben?

thomas
I'm at work right now....
Old 01-04-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ben, I just caught wind of this from Pat. I just wanted to say congrats and that I am happy for you on that. Hope all works out well for you and I know you are going to enjoy it! Good luck!