Hand-gun License...???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hand-gun License...???

In a few weeks I will be turning 21, and i've been wanting to get a handgun license... Where would i go-about getting one.... and what types of guns do you guys have...??? This is TX everyone has a gun
Old 01-04-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

45 its awesome you have to wait for them to give u the permit and the gun,they make sure u are not a criminal the fun part u dont need a permit to carry it anymore
Old 01-04-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

getting tired of just making big holes with this little one

Old 01-04-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good news for you, my friend! You need to be a US Citizen and have a valid TX driver's license (for a certain amount of time, IIRC). No wait. Yup, no wait.

Go there when you'r 21, pick the gun you want, then fork over the coin.

I own a Springfield Armory XD9 Bitone. I really like it. I do not have my concealed license, yet.

Ryan
Old 01-04-2006, 02:55 PM
FormerVendor

Don't have my conceal/carry license yet, but I normally carry a Sig 9mm or a Sig 45 with me when I travel long distances on my motorcycle. I prefer the 9mm though.

If it wasn't so huge I would carry the Desert Eagle (.50 cal) haha. But it's very heavy and bulky to be carrying on a bike.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
Don't have my conceal/carry license yet, but I normally carry a Sig 9mm or a Sig 45 with me when I travel long distances on my motorcycle. I prefer the 9mm though.

If it wasn't so huge I would carry the Desert Eagle (.50 cal) haha. But it's very heavy and bulky to be carrying on a bike.
How do u like the 9mm i been thinking about getting one i usually shoot a 45 but i want to start carrying it and is hard for me to hide that thing.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96-speed
Good news for you, my friend! You need to be a US Citizen and have a valid TX driver's license (for a certain amount of time, IIRC). No wait. Yup, no wait.

Go there when you'r 21, pick the gun you want, then fork over the coin.

I own a Springfield Armory XD9 Bitone. I really like it. I do not have my concealed license, yet.

Ryan

Uh oh Ryans strapped, what do you need a gun for, last I heard J.V is a prety safe place
Old 01-04-2006, 03:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TAbeba
How do u like the 9mm i been thinking about getting one i usually shoot a 45 but i want to start carrying it and is hard for me to hide that thing.
I love it. I used to have a Ruger 9mm, and while I love my other Ruger guns I just didn't like their 9mm at all. So I got rid of it for the Sig and there's no comparison IMHO, the Sig kicks ***. I don't have that much experience with pistols though (read = newb), rifles and carbines are my thing. Mostly very long range stuff (450yrds. and further).
Old 01-04-2006, 03:34 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you still have to go through the concealed handgun course, take a proficiency test and file the proper paperwork with the local Sheriffs office.

My wife and I had one for 4 years and carried a .45. I found myself never taking it with me because it is very uncomfortable to tote. Make sure you get a lightweight small handgun and hope you never have to use it. On average, if you feel threatened enough to pull the gun, you better use it and better plan on spending $25-40K in lawyer fees to defend yourself even if it is not your fault and you are totally legal. That's just the nature of our society. Either the victim will sue you (if they survive) or the family will. It's a fact and your life will change forever.

The purpose of the concealed handgun permit is to make sure you and your family survive and at that point cost really isn't an issue.

It's really something to think about. I've become such a dangerous indivdual that I just don't feel the need carry anymore I let mine expire and never looked back. That's just me.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=TXCAMSS]I believe you still have to go through the concealed handgun course, take a proficiency test and file the proper paperwork with the local Sheriffs office.

My wife and I had one for 4 years and carried a .45. I found myself never taking it with me because it is very uncomfortable to tote. Make sure you get a lightweight small handgun and hope you never have to use it. On average, if you feel threatened enough to pull the gun, you better use it and better plan on spending $25-40K in lawyer fees to defend yourself even if it is not your fault and you are totally legal. That's just the nature of our society. Either the victim will sue you (if they survive) or the family will. It's a fact and your life will change forever.

The purpose of the concealed handgun permit is to make sure you and your family survive and at that point cost really isn't an issue.

It's really something to think about. I've become such a dangerous indivdual that I just don't feel the need carry anymore I let mine expire and never looked back. That's just me.

I very Much agree with you, i guess being a girl and being alone most of the time i would feel save carrying one sometimes. and if i ever gave to use it knowing me i dont think who ever tries to harm me would stay alive
Old 01-04-2006, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

I very Much agree with you, i guess being a girl and being alone most of the time i would feel save carrying one sometimes. and if i ever gave to use it knowing me i dont think who ever tries to harm me would stay alive
I'm all for females carrying guns, BUT it's a tricky situation IMHO. I've seen a lot of females practice enough to get their license and then they put their gun in the car and rarely if ever practice with it again. My thinking is that if you are going to go to the trouble of getting certified to carry and you are doing so to protect yourself should a worst case scenario arise, then you had better be 110% comfortable with every aspect of your weapon. Because if a situation is to the point that you feel the need to draw your weapon, then you have probably reached the point of needing to fire it, just my opinion. I know I probably sound like I'm preachin', but gun safety is something that I take very seriously for very personal reasons.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well acutally i love going shooting and surprise for my husband im extremly good. But its true if a situation is to the point that i feel the need to draw my weapon, then i need to fire it. lol no your not preaching. Gun safety is very important i know, My uncle kill him self in front of me when i was 8 because he was stupid enough to play with it around kids.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:49 PM
FormerVendor

I know what you mean. I had a somewhat similar situation happen a little over 3yrs. ago with my dad. Now, I guess I could be called borderline obsessive compulsive when it comes to guns and the care that should be taken with them (lol, not really but I'm close).
Old 01-04-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol yeah close is good enough.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Teching In

You can go on google and type in texas ccw and then there should be alink that will has a lot of the places to take the class in texas. That is what I did.

As for firearms, I own a Springfield 1911 customized race gun for competition use, a Sig P226 9mm, and a Glock 27 with some custom mods done to it as well. Then I got the larger toys but no need to get into that.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no wait in purchasing a handgun, just successfull completion of an NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System).

There is a wait in getting your Concealed Handgun License. You will need to take a DPS approved course from a DPS approved instructor, fill out paperwork, pass a shooting proficiency exam, have passport photos taken, fingerprinted, complete background checks, and finally pay your fees. You'll spend in the neighborhood of $250-300 once it's all said and done. It will take 60-90 days to get your license mailed to you.

The state of Texas recently defined traveling pursuant to Texas Penal Code 46.15 allowing a legal resident to carry concealed in a private motor vehicle. HOWEVER, check your local municipalities, because I know that in the Houston area, you will still be arrested for unlawful carry.

I currently have a Springfield Armory XD-9 Service, although I will be purchasing a new Glock 30 .45ACP within the next few weeks. Probably a birthday present to myself
Old 01-04-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

uh oh im not getting on berto's bad side!!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to carry a .45 but conceal it, look at the Glock slimline. I was looking at one last night at Gander Mountain. It's about the size of the subcompact and you could conceal it without much trouble.

I don't ever plan on using my Glock, but If I do, I want something with some knockdown power.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got my CHL last week... where abouts in TX are you? you need to take a safety class before you can apply. many ranges offer the class, and many of them are an all-in-one package that sets you up with all the components of the application process: pictures, forms, fingerprints, etc. the place i went to, even gave you the ammo necessary to do the qualification portion of the class, and they'd let you borrow a gun if you didn't have your own.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just finished my class as well, except I have to send in the paperwork. I have a Glock 17 9mm. I will be buying a Glock 23 for carry.