Need Lawyer References...not for moving violations

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Lawyer References...not for moving violations

I know we're all delinquents here, so I figured I'd ask what everyone has to offer.

I got charged with Criminal Trespass up at Cyfair College. I know its a class C but I take **** like this seriously. Not allowed to come back to campus until all this gets fixed, so I'll miss graduation, not that I really care about that. Don't know what effect this would have on transfers to other schools and stuff. Plus its a shitty thing to have on your record.

So then I'm fighting it, its in late march, and I need suggestions for lawyers to bring. Note my friend also go charged too, so it would be cool if we could go in together. Anyone we could talk to up at school to get things dropped, I was a pretty upstanding student there as in I could probably get a reference from one of the deans.

...also, the guy searched my vehicle and marked on the ticket that he had consent. Well I never gave it.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

are you sure it's a class c? most C.T's are class B for 1st offense. Who told you to leave? Or is it posted anywhere on the property. Without 1 of these 2 things being present, it would be pretty easy to get thrown out.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Without knowing the details, it sounds like your temper got away from you about something and you had a meltdown. Usually those things are best handled personally. You might start with the dean of men or somebody similar. Telephone them and explain the situation, express deep remorse, aplogise profusely, beg forgiveness, and swear it will never happen again. Say you have learned from your mistake and it has made you a better man. If you sound genuine and it is indeed your first offense then you should have no trouble getting the charges dropped and allowed back on campus. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZLEEPER
are you sure it's a class c? most C.T's are class B for 1st offense. Who told you to leave? Or is it posted anywhere on the property. Without 1 of these 2 things being present, it would be pretty easy to get thrown out.
I looked it up in the Texas Penal code and I had asked the officer, they both said it was a class C:
(d) An offense under Subsection (e) is a Class C misdemeanor unless it is committed in a habitation or unless the actor carries a deadly weapon on or about the actor's person during the commission of the offense, in which event it is a Class A misdemeanor. An offense under Subsection (a) is a Class B misdemeanor,
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu....000030.00.htm

It was the Campus Police, but he's a peace officer just like any other. He just wrote me a ticket.

There was a sign on the chains going across the road, but I didn't even read it until he asked if I saw the sign. From what I remember I believe it just says, "Campus closed." Some of the chains didn't have signs...one of them fell off the chain while we were standing there. I'll get someone to go by it and take a picture.

No one told me to leave, I just got a ticket. So far as I know there was no sign saying that we were trespassing.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gold Z
Without knowing the details, it sounds like your temper got away from you about something and you had a meltdown. Usually those things are best handled personally. You might start with the dean of men or somebody similar. Telephone them and explain the situation, express deep remorse, aplogise profusely, beg forgiveness, and swear it will never happen again. Say you have learned from your mistake and it has made you a better man. If you sound genuine and it is indeed your first offense then you should have no trouble getting the charges dropped and allowed back on campus. Good luck.
I really didn't, there was zero attitude involved. And if I would of known it was this serious, or considered trespassing, I wouldn't of been there, so I really am sorry. On that note I'm not sure who would actually be responsible for handing things like this up at the school.

If they don't drop it and we go to court I'll tell y'all the whole story afterwards. I'll just say that there was absolutely nothing malicious or devious about it. I was in the right place at the wrong time.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Once your under arrest, the police do not need consent to search your car, bags, ect....
Old 01-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Michael Millican. He's in the DFW area, but he handled my street racing case, and both the accident investigator AND the prosecuting attorney said he did a great job. I thought so too. I only spent about 6 hours in jail, got 24 hours of community service, and 1 year of probation (Note: I pled no contest, I didn't try and fight it) and a small fine. So you can take what you will from that. His number is 972 235 5248
Old 01-23-2006, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

After 20 years as a cop I always assume the worse. I'm glad it is a much more minor thing than I had envisioned. The ticket you recieved should have an address on it that you are to report to to pay the fine or enter a plea. Go there and ask to talk to the prosecuting attorney. Explain everything to him, including missing graduation, and ask if he would please dismiss the citation. I suspect he will work something out with you.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 70&00CAMARO
Once your under arrest, the police do not need consent to search your car, bags, ect....
I dont think he was arrested.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 70&00CAMARO
I was never arrested.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gold Z
After 20 years as a cop I always assume the worse. I'm glad it is a much more minor thing than I had envisioned. The ticket you recieved should have an address on it that you are to report to to pay the fine or enter a plea. Go there and ask to talk to the prosecuting attorney. Explain everything to him, including missing graduation, and ask if he would please dismiss the citation. I suspect he will work something out with you.
lol, yeah, Judge Yeoman. Its been about 5 years since I had to see him last. Is there any way I can setup something with the prosecutor before hand, maybe something along the lines of an offer or else I go to court later? Graduation is before the court date. I sent an email to one of the deans I know so maybe I can plead with the school to drop it first, might get lucky.

Also, I won't leave my friend hanging here. I need to help get him off the hook too.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what courts is this in. If it is Yoman that isn't criminal court, or at least not that I am aware of.

Here is a name for you, to take care of this problem. The best criminal defense attorney in houston, Robert Fickman 713 655 7400. Tell him Jet sent you.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Hey guys, thanks for everyone's help here. JETG, I'll hang onto that name just incase

I got in touch with one of the deans I was on a committee with last semester, all she said was, "Thanks for letting me know, I'll see what I can find." I asked her who I should get in contact with that could get it dropped.

That was last night, so fast forward to today I'm working on my car and I get a call from the school PD saying that they're changing it to a warning. I asked about my friend, they changed his too.

Now then, here's what happened:
About 1.5 weeks ago my friends got this gokart running again, they took it up to Labay but some cop told them to go elsewhere. So they decided to take it up to cyfair college. I joined them up there and we had a blast, only one of the campus cops cared. The other two actually were pretty cool, let us borrow their flash light and stuff. Well saturday night I get off work and my friend wants to go riding up there again, seems like the place to go to drive it around and not bother anyone right? Hell no, I was pretty tired and didn't feel like driving it so I let Chris take it out. I was sitting on the public road just off campus. We had an understanding that you'd come back by and check in every few minutes so that we knew no one had crashed that kart (we did plenty of crashing the week before). Well he hadn't showed up for about 10 minutes so I started to get worried. I drove up to the edge of the road (where they have it chained off), parked, and walked about 50 feet out to the top of this hill. I looked for a second and didn't see him, when I turned around there was a cop stopping next to my car. So I walked around the base of the hill and started back torwards him, I had a flashlight in my hand so I dropped that off. Finally got his attention and had to do the whole hands in the air/lift your shirt/do a 360 deal. Asked a bunch of questions, all the usual stuff. I still didn't think it was a big deal, like he was just making sure everything was in order. Then like 20 minutes later my friend finally comes back by and they stop him. He busts out his pad and writes Chris a ticket, then comes back and writes me one. And I already explained everything else above.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's great that it worked itself out without any action on your part. So much for your life of crime...........