got a call from Shell Oil

Old 03-22-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a call from Shell Oil

and was offered a summer internship that i applied for. it's offshore work, but it's easy and i've been around the offshore rigs most of my life. it's just over $15/ hr, 14 days on 14 days off, 12 hour shifts. i dunno about overtime or anything else, but i'm not too worried about it.

it's called the fast track program and they are looking to hire you after you finish up your degree if everything works out so hopefully i'll already have a foot in the door.

i wasn't sure what i was going to do with my engineering at A&M (started out with electrical then was switching to mechanical). i am just doing a process tech associates that i can finish in two semesters so that i can make some good money while i figure out what it is that i really want to do.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

go for it.
i did one for Hanover Compressor's before.
awsome exp.

Vince
Old 03-22-2006, 10:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go for it, I work for Mi Swaco, oil and gas is an awesome field with lots of benefits.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, i'm excited. it'll be nice to make some money and i can be happy doing most any type of work from all the design stuff i've done engineering wise down to maintenance.

mostly i'm ready to get in on some helicopter action
Old 03-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bizzzatch350
Go for it, I work for Mi Swaco, oil and gas is an awesome field with lots of benefits.

Hey I was curious about that company - Mi Swaco. Where are they located? How many people work there? You like it there? Tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly...
Old 03-22-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 408WS6
Hey I was curious about that company - Mi Swaco. Where are they located? How many people work there? You like it there? Tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly...

AFTER YOU CONGRATULATE ME!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoAdRaGe912
and was offered a summer internship that i applied for. it's offshore work, but it's easy and i've been around the offshore rigs most of my life. it's just over $15/ hr, 14 days on 14 days off, 12 hour shifts. i dunno about overtime or anything else, but i'm not too worried about it.

it's called the fast track program and they are looking to hire you after you finish up your degree if everything works out so hopefully i'll already have a foot in the door.

i wasn't sure what i was going to do with my engineering at A&M (started out with electrical then was switching to mechanical). i am just doing a process tech associates that i can finish in two semesters so that i can make some good money while i figure out what it is that i really want to do.

You definitely want to do your internship, especially with Shell. Not for the money, but for the experience. It's very good experience and you will know more about what you want to do before you graduate.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Banned

AFTER YOU CONGRATULATE ME!!!

Not to put you down, but you and I will be at different levels. I've got 15 years as an ME under my belt and knocking down close to six digits. I'll probably end up being your boss
Old 03-22-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how are you putting me down?? i already have part of my engineering degree finished i just was not sure what i really want to do in the end and didn't feel like burning up all my money at A&M. my passion is mechanical, but i might find the best opportunity now in something like chemical or petroleum. just testing the waters before i dive in

i was kidding about the hijack anyway.......
Old 03-22-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

good luck that should be good for you
Old 03-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

how are you putting me down?? i already have part of my engineering degree finished i just was not sure what i really want to do in the end and didn't feel like burning up all my money at A&M. my passion is mechanical, but i might find the best opportunity now in something like chemical or petroleum. just testing the waters before i dive in

i was kidding about the hijack anyway.......

Thats funny about you switching from EE to ME because I did the exact same thing. I took about 30 hours of EE and hated every minute of it. EE was not for me. ME was for me

Seriously, ME is a great degree with many options unlike CE or AE where your limited on the number of industries you can work in. It's been good to me, but definitely not a bed of roses like some people tend to believe...

Oh yeah.....congratulations!!!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

exactly. i CANNOT stand EE, well getting the degree at least.

i'm just happy to be getting something done right now. and thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

wow dude congrats. that's a pretty sweet deal, I'd do it in a heart beat. you got ur future on lock down...

Search this Thread