Idle Issues?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Issues?!

Anyone else have this issue?

I started my car after leaving it off for about 3.5 hours. I noticed that it would not stay on at low RPM (it kept dying). Every light I came to the car would shut down and I would have to restart. Finally I pulled over and made a phone call to a friend (5 min. max phone call w/ no solution) restarted and it was fine!? What is up with that? Anyone else come across this issue?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Wow?! no one else?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Ginger Hater

have you done anything with the throttle body lately?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

No. I havnt touched the engine in months.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Ginger Hater

Originally Posted by Blackfly
No. I havnt touched the engine in months.
it could be your IAC, you can take it out and clean it with some carb cleaner.
you can also spray some of that into the TB while it's running to clean out the intake and TB.

if that doesn't help, post back up.

Last edited by Spazdout; 03-29-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Launching!

this sounds like a thing to do with a nintendo but for 2 years I could solve my idle issue till I pulled over one day unhooked my computer harness and almost smashed my computer on the ground. Luckily I didn't cuz I would of been stranded. I blew into the harness and the computer and made sure nothing was obstructing it. Never had an idle issue since then.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:48 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VsGonzo
this sounds like a thing to do with a nintendo but for 2 years I could solve my idle issue till I pulled over one day unhooked my computer harness and almost smashed my computer on the ground. Luckily I didn't cuz I would of been stranded. I blew into the harness and the computer and made sure nothing was obstructing it. Never had an idle issue since then.
Heh...I have always been a supporter of the,"If you have tried everything else already,KICK IT!" mentality....

But yeah,try cleaning out the T-Body and looking for anything that could possibly be a cause for a vacuum leak....All the normal tune up stuff couldn't hurt either...especially a new fuel filter??
Old 03-30-2006, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

I just broke 40,300 miles, Is it time for a new fuel filter? I have put premium gas in it since I bought it with 6 miles on the odometer. I have spent many hours rubbing her down, washing her, waxing her and hugging her. I guess the tune up in in order.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Ginger Hater

its worth a shot, and it's not an arm and a leg for it.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:52 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackfly
I just broke 40,300 miles, Is it time for a new fuel filter? I have put premium gas in it since I bought it with 6 miles on the odometer. I have spent many hours rubbing her down, washing her, waxing her and hugging her. I guess the tune up in in order.
I would...Change the filter that is..I wouldn't hug another man's car..

Well maybe if she was askin' for it....uhh not implying anything...shhhh...don't tell my car about what I said!

But really,considering that its cheap and fairly easy..I would change it out.I change my fuel filters out on our cars yearly along with plugs gapped correctly,coolant (don't believe the 5yr hype),tranny fluid and differential...

Another thing I have seen happen is when somebody decides to use some sort of fuel injector cleaner in their tank (you or previous owner) and I guess it loosens up junk build up in the tank and clogs the filter...I have seen this happen to 2 F-bodies and one Mustang...so it does happen.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

You might check the connection to the computer, I have seen it many times. Bad design right near the cowl. You might have gotten some bad gas. Has the problem happened since that time