What would you recommend to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would you recommend to do?

I already have all the parts in the same red color (Ram Air hood, front bumper cover and reinforcement, headlight assemblies, RH fender, high rise hatch, rear bumper cover, RH taillight), so it's going to be just body and frame work.

On this one you can see lid and the lower air box are off so the frame is bent about 1 inch to the side.

right

left

I have other high rise hatch but the window is in bad condition, do you think the window is interchangeable?

How much do you think I'm going to spend on it?
Is it worth fixing it?
Old 05-18-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 05-18-2006, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

damn that sux man your in the same boat as me, i just recently wrecked my '68 and i think my frame is f***ed.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

fix that ****. had a car that was bent up worse than that. fixed it you would of never known it had been wrecked. youll spend about 5k fixing it and completely reshooting it in red.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
fix that ****. had a car that was bent up worse than that. fixed it you would of never known it had been wrecked. youll spend about 5k fixing it and completely reshooting it in red.

damn 5k! I thought it would be less than that.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:26 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by ALPHA Q
damn 5k! I thought it would be less than that.
I see you have the parts, but do you have all of them?
Dude, You have ALOT of damage there. Front clip, passenger's fender, headlight assy, hood maybe, rear bumper, rear 1/4 panel, hatch maybe, get the frame straightened, that lid is waaaay offset. I can see who your passenger's side was hit hard. Did the airbags pop? It doesn't look like they did your windsheild is still good. But if so thats some more there you need.
Then like ex-SS-ve had mentioned have the whole car painted, which I think it will be over $5,000, with all of the body work included. Cutting out that rear 1/4 panel and installing a new one is not cheap.

Just shop/ask around and get some quotes.

Good luck budy,
Craig.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CRAGER
I see you have the parts, but do you have all of them?
Dude, You have ALOT of damage there. Front clip, passenger's fender, headlight assy, hood maybe, rear bumper, rear 1/4 panel, hatch maybe, get the frame straightened, that lid is waaaay offset. I can see who your passenger's side was hit hard. Did the airbags pop? It doesn't look like they did your windsheild is still good. But if so thats some more there you need.
Then like ex-SS-ve had mentioned have the whole car painted, which I think it will be over $5,000, with all of the body work included. Cutting out that rear 1/4 panel and installing a new one is not cheap.

Just shop/ask around and get some quotes.

Good luck budy,
Craig.
The only thing I don't have is the quarter panel. I have all the rest of the parts in the same red color. I don't want to paint the whole car so the only thing I would paint is the quarter panel if it's not fixable.

does anyone know a good DFW shop?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

does anyone know a reputable shop (DFW)?
Old 05-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Launching!

My first was bent worse than that, got it pulled for 2,000. That was just to get it on the frame machine and have the 1/4 cut out and a used one welded in, would have been another 2,000+ to get the whole car painted over and minor body work done. If you go to a good shop the lines will prolly match up in the end, mine were close enough for me. The bad news is they started off by telling me that it was not a recommended fix and the chances were that it would probably happen again since it was my first car. They were right . Just be carefull/smart about it.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn
Old 05-22-2006, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
BUY A NEW CAR IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME! Just get a new car with the money it just wont be the same. I would get rid of it if it were mine if there was considerbly less damage.

Thomas
Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Fix it it's paid for the frame is an easy pull and you have the parts. If you are mechanically inclined you can do most of it yourselfI've even seen a few minor bent frame rails straightened with a 4x4 block of wood a torch and a sledge. Who gives a **** if it's been wrecked as long as you are happy with it thats all that counts. My car ranges from a 95-02 on year models and parts installed. It's paid for and looks just like an 02 for way less. cant go wront with the vin sayin it's a six either. but ls1 inside
Old 05-23-2006, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Fix it it's paid for the frame is an easy pull and you have the parts. If you are mechanically inclined you can do most of it yourselfI've even seen a few minor bent frame rails straightened with a 4x4 block of wood a torch and a sledge. Who gives a **** if it's been wrecked as long as you are happy with it thats all that counts. My car ranges from a 95-02 on year models and parts installed. It's paid for and looks just like an 02 for way less. cant go wront with the vin sayin it's a six either. but ls1 inside
Well, there is a margin of safety that I wont cross (referring to the torch/block of wood/hammer).

I can't see the pics (blocked at work) - but why not pick up a non-wrecked donor shell (see them occasionally) or a car with a blown motor, and transfer the goodies from your car over? You might have the added benefit of a V6 vin# for reduced insurance.

Of course, if your car is rare then you've got some thinking to do.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gun4hire
Well, there is a margin of safety that I wont cross (referring to the torch/block of wood/hammer).

I can't see the pics (blocked at work) - but why not pick up a non-wrecked donor shell (see them occasionally) or a car with a blown motor, and transfer the goodies from your car over? You might have the added benefit of a V6 vin# for reduced insurance.

Of course, if your car is rare then you've got some thinking to do.
Is it very expensive to tranfer everything?
How much does the shell sell for?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ALPHA Q
Is it very expensive to tranfer everything?
How much does the shell sell for?
Well, it would probably be expensive unless you were capable of doing it yourself. Problem is that I would not trust any frame to protect me/my family in the event of another wreck if it was bent pretty bad in the first one. You can straighten them, but from what I've heard they are never as strong as the originally were. So how much is your safety worth?

I've seen mostly complete shells sell for $500-$1000. Some still have interior, etc, but you would have to transfer over engine/drivetrain components, etc. Dont get me wrong, its still time consuming, but the resulting car would be muh more trustwothy (I think) in the evnt of another collision.

Check autotrader, sometimes there are f-bodys with blown engines/trans for CHEAP.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:19 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I will tell you this If you want to do it your self take it to a place that has a frame machine and let them pull the front back where it needs to be and then you will be able to bolt on all the front end and as far as the rear goes there is probably not going to ba getting around putting a new quaterpanel on it. I would go with new as there is twice as much work in using a used one cutting off two and putting one on versus just pulling one off and installing a new one with the correct shape etc... The extra money for the new one will offset the install a million times over. IMO I would let a qualified person do this along with painting it for a better overall job and price especially if they have a frame machine etc... As far as the glass a glass co will change out the glass no problem I've done it a million times usually a $45 R&R charge etc... Good luck.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone know an experienced shop dallas-fort worth?

I need to get some quotes
Old 05-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

thats nothing , few scratches. you have all parts already.
Ive seen front bumper with 7 inch deep inside of the frame, and after frame was done you really have to look close to see that it was hit before.. I couldnt beleive my eyes , they have tools and experience.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

interested in selling it minus all the new body parts?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hawgs
interested in selling it minus all the new body parts?
not really but 8000 OBO and I would have second thoughts.

Quick Reply: What would you recommend to do?