North Dallas folks come inside plz

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question North Dallas folks come inside plz

Hey guys,

I was thinking of relocating to the north Dallas area with my family some time soon. We were looking at the area east of I-35E and north of I-635, ( Farmers Branch, Lewisville, Carrollton, Addison, etc) and was wondering what the area is like. Is it family friendly area? Are the property taxes out of control? Crime? Areas to avoid? Job opportunities? I know the car scene is good, and I'm fairly familiar with the area layout so that is a plus. It also looks like the housing is affordable in most of these areas. There also seems to be a lot more to do in the area as well. I need to get out of the "Peoples Republic of New Mexico" soon, I've been here for about 30 years and it's time for a change. Any and all help and constructive comments would be welcome!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Flower Mound, and it is pretty much your a typical suburban town. But they are just finishing up a highway extension so the most annoying part living in FM, driving 10 min to the freeway, will be solved. Plus you are literally 20 minutes from DFW, and 35 min from TWS. If you like Lewisville, you will like FM better, Carrollton would be my second choice. The schools in all areas are really good, and as far as jobs go it isnt that bad of a commute to FW or Dallas, unless you work 9-5.

Hope that helps.

Josh
Old 06-01-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

I live in flower mound. Its my second time to live here. Very good schools and was voted the best place to live in the United States. If you dont like flowermound then try out highland Village. Just moved from there. Its a pretty expensive city but very nice and on the lake.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Flower Mound, Highland Village, Trophy Club. All nice areas
Old 06-02-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lived in Lewisville for over a year @ Corporate and I-35E. Once the road destruction is done, i'm sure it will be a better area. Everything you need is right on I-35 between Garden Ridge and Frankfurt Rd. The only reason why we moved is we built a brand new house in South Fort Worth for $200 less a month than we were paying in rent....smart choice huh? While working in Grand Prairie, the traffic is good if you workin in Tarrant County. Not sure of the traffic situation going south on I-35E, luckly I never had to go THAT nasty route!

We would have stayed. The kids elementary school was excellent and only 2 miles away. Lewisville ISD is a good system.

Splitz
Old 06-02-2006, 06:37 AM
TECH Regular

North of George Bush and 75 is nice to. I am buying a house in Allen and the area is really nice.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Cool thanks for the comments guys. I haven't been to Flower Mound yet, i think i'll check that area out next time i'm down there. I hear there is no state income tax in TX, correct? I'm glad to hear the schools are good.

DesertFox, sorry but whats "TWS"?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah the schools are great. The elemntary school i went to was the blue ribbon school of the year in united states a couple of years ago. Meaning that they had the highest grades on the taks test.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry I meant TMS, Texas Motor Speedway, where they have all the nascar, and IRL races. I always relate things to how close they are to racing venues. I live about 15 minutes from TWS, Texas World Speedway, which was built for Nascar, but never got a race.

Alot of the road construction has been finished, or is in the final stages, so I really like flower mound for getting to other places quickly. And you still don't feel like you live close the the city. But that is driving up the cost of housing so that might be kinda bad.
Josh
Old 06-02-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

all nice areas.
just look around as alot of places are going insane as far as realestate prices when somewhere 20minutes away isn't grown as fast and fairly "set"

Good area to pick, just stay away from 635, that is hell on blacktop.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brandon Boomhauer
... just stay away from 635, that is hell on blacktop.
Yes, I noticed that. When I was down there about a month and a half ago, I was doing about 80 in my SS and still getting passed on 635!

BTW How's the property taxes in the area?

Last edited by Tall Guy; 06-02-2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 06-02-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

you were doing 80 on 635?
badass
ive only done that in weird hours
rush hour times its a crawl.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brandon Boomhauer
you were doing 80 on 635?
badass
ive only done that in weird hours
rush hour times its a crawl.
Yeah, it was a thursday afternoon at about 2:30 near Skillman St. Just enough traffic to make it 'interesting'. However I did get caught in the 35E traffic at rush hour headed toward Denton on the following day (Friday). That was fun.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitz
Lived in Lewisville for over a year @ Corporate and I-35E.

Splitz
That's where i'm staying right now, i'm right behind the Chili's. I'm only here for the summer and working in Denton. I luckily am going the opposite direction of all traffic. If you have to go towards Dallas on I35E in the morning, plan to leave very early.

William
Old 06-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tall Guy
Yeah, it was a thursday afternoon at about 2:30 near Skillman St. Just enough traffic to make it 'interesting'. However I did get caught in the 35E traffic at rush hour headed toward Denton on the following day (Friday). That was fun.
Yeah it gets terrible on 35E. In the evenings, where it goes from 3 lanes to 2 on the north side of Lake Lewisville is a nightmare. Everybody thinks they can pass everybody else before the lane ends.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:12 AM
BDP
Teching In

Funny... my wife has been trying to get be to move to Albuquerque from Dallas... she is from there. No doing...

We are moving next month to Coppell and I have a 2600 sq/ft house for sale/lease in Las Colinas/Valley RAnch area (Macarthur and 635). It is a couple of miles west of 35 and 635 but let me know if you want more info. 2142130891

James
Old 06-05-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Coppel is very very family and religion oriented (nice too!!), but you pay the price....high taxes . Valley Ranch is also very nice (you have every restaurant and wal-mart near by). both of the areas are just west of I-35 and a hair above Loop-635. alot of areas mentioned here are nice to live in, question is how far you want to live from work. the I-35 northbound traffic just as you get to Loop-635 and above is a nightmare between 4-6 pm. Eastbound traffic on Loop-635 past I-35 in the morning also sucks. Like I say, depends where you plan to work, how much your willing to drive (and put up with traffic), and the lifestyle you want. there are lots of nice areas to live, you just gotta know where they are.

Hope that helps, if you need more help, thats why we're here for
Old 06-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Thanks again for the additional info guys! Looks like a bunch of cool guys in the area too.

BDP- cool thanks, PM me on some the details on that house if you could.

As far as driving far thats no biggie, traffic would probably be my biggest pet peeve though. Can't have one with out the other though right?
Old 06-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Plano is a really nice area if you are West of 75. I live about a half mile from work and love not having to spend the time to commute. Have been looking to buy in Wylie since you can get alot of house for the money but it's about 10 minutes east of work.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Teching In

I live in Carrollton. Its just a little one bedroom apt., but the area is so nice. As far as crime goes. I leave 3 grand worth of tools just sitting in plain sight in my car everynight. And my brother who lives just right down the street leaves about 7 grand worth of tools out everynight.

As far as getting anywhere, just hop on the PGB and cruise. Easy to get anywhere just about.

And finally, what kind of work are you in.