PROBLEM with Tranmission (PLEASE HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:43 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PROBLEM with Tranmission (PLEASE HELP)

I am new to LS1's & just got my car back two days ago & was doing a little testing on the service road here where I live in Kaufman since I have never owned a automatic.

While trying to find the sweet spot on the RPMS from a dead stop to launch the car at & what PSI on my ET Streets to get it to hook, The transmisson at a WOT hit from a dead stop would not shift in to 2nd gear, It sounded like it was banging on the Rev limiter, So I tried it from a 50 punch & the same thing again that time I was in 3rd gear at 50 mph & punched it & right away when it tried to kick down to 2nd gear, DA DA DA DA DA DA DA, It sounded like it was just bouncing off the Rev Limiter. (WHICH IT WAS BOUNCING OF THE REV LIMITER BECAUSE IT WAS NOT SHIFTING IN TO ANY GEAR FROM A WOT HIT)

So I took the car home, On the way home I just drove the car normal. Well from a dead stop the car went in to second gear but it was shifting in to 2nd gear at 5000 rpms, The same on the 2nd to 3rd gear shift!

Any Idea's what is wrong with the trans?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its probably the tune, not the trans. The transmission is shifted by the PCM.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

check the fluid level as well
Old 06-22-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Testing on the service road on a 100 degree day will probably overheat your tranny after a couple of times... Were you spinning the tires or hooking? If you were spinning that could also be a reason that it hit the limiter. Is this the tranny out of Scott's car? I rode in that thing right before he parked it and it shifted perfect. I even was going to buy it from him after I rode in it but I couldnt come up with the cash fast enough
Old 06-23-2006, 08:21 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

No, I was testing it at night around 10:00 p.m. when it was cool on the service road. The car did not hook it just spun.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Take the car to the track where it wont spin and see what it does... Come to kennedale tonight and I will help you with it.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:54 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowredz
Take the car to the track where it wont spin and see what it does... Come to kennedale tonight and I will help you with it.
The car is broke, The trans seems to only have 1st gear & 3rd gear, Considering that I haven't even had my car back for 2 days before the trans started giving me problems, I am understandably aggravated, I sold a 18 ft Diamond plate trailer to buy this transmisson & it broke, So I don't want to cause any more further damage by driving it

The trans is suppossed to be a Stage 2 trans by Phonex Transmission, But after reading on here & doing searchs. It sounds like from my symtoms with this trans that my Clutch bands are burned up & the trans needs to be rebuilt. I just hope the shop I bought it from will take care of me & help me out since I just got the car back & have not had a chance to even enjoy it let alone go to the track with it!

I am going to keep my fingers crossed & hope for the best!

Thanks for being helpful & look foward to meeting you in the future with a working Tranmission

Seb
Old 06-23-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you lost 2nd and 4th, that means most likely you broke the band. Fiancee did that to her 4L60e way back when, right after it was built. I had the builder put in a fancy *** kevlar band, and it was just TOO sticky -- snapped the band right at the rivets. He installed a regular ol' Borg Warner band and its been fine ever since (even behind the 370cid, T76 turbocharged motor).

The nice thing, is the band is right at the front of the transmission, and relatively easy to replace (with it out of the car, of course)
Old 06-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Launching!

I don't know if I am reading this correctly but, it almost sounds as if you are hinting that maybe you were misled on what you bought. Whatever Scott said the trans and converter was is exactly what it is. I would assume that you drove or at least rode in his car B4 you bought the trans. All someone can tell you about a used part is how it is acting at the time of the sell. If you didn't get some sort of promise or warranty on how long it would last I don't see how the shop is responsible. Maybe I am getting the wrong idea about your post and if that is the case I'm sorry. The situation sucks if I were in the same boat my car would probably be in the garage for 6 months before I had the money to fix it. I don't know you and am not judging you, however I do know the other party in this transaction and can tell that he is the last person that would intentionaly screw someone.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:50 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kruthes1
I don't know if I am reading this correctly but, it almost sounds as if you are hinting that maybe you were misled on what you bought. Whatever Scott said the trans and converter was is exactly what it is. I would assume that you drove or at least rode in his car B4 you bought the trans. All someone can tell you about a used part is how it is acting at the time of the sell. If you didn't get some sort of promise or warranty on how long it would last I don't see how the shop is responsible. Maybe I am getting the wrong idea about your post and if that is the case I'm sorry. The situation sucks if I were in the same boat my car would probably be in the garage for 6 months before I had the money to fix it. I don't know you and am not judging you, however I do know the other party in this transaction and can tell that he is the last person that would intentionaly screw someone.
Where in my posts do you see anything about Scott, Do I even know you! Who are you anyways, All I am asking is does it sound like that my trans is broke. I am not on here to point fingers. I am on here to figure out why my trans is broke & fix the problem, the reply's I am looking for are ones like (BRAINS) posted,

Yes I bought the trans from someone private & from a shop. But this thread has nothing to do with the shop or the person I bought it from. This thread is to give my symtoms of my problem & get some idea's of what it might be so I can fix my car & enjoy it.

So the point of your post is? & yes you do have the wrong idea of me & my post, It almost sounds like you are being a Cheerleader for this guy Scott, But maybe I have the wrong idea of you & your post. I am a simple guy who loves cars & who is car crazy & wants to enjoy my new car. That is who I am.

Back to my thread. I drove the car again today to see if it would make the trip from my house back to the shop & it only has 1st gear & 3rd gear. It runs about 2500 rpms @ 50 mph on the highway in 3rd gear. Do you think if I drive it about 80 miles in 3rd gear in the condition it is currently in. Will it do further damage to my trans?

Thanks guys, & look foward to going to some future F-Body events here in the DFW Metroplex & meeting some of you & making some new friends!

Seb
Old 06-25-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Generally with a broken band, there's not much worry of further damage. Just don't try letting it shift from 1st to 3rd at WOT, or you'll risk smoking the high gear clutch pack. Be gentle and get her where it needs to be.

Or - call the shop and ask them what they want to you do, if they're the ones fixing it.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:06 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brains
Generally with a broken band, there's not much worry of further damage. Just don't try letting it shift from 1st to 3rd at WOT, or you'll risk smoking the high gear clutch pack. Be gentle and get her where it needs to be.

Or - call the shop and ask them what they want to you do, if they're the ones fixing it.
Thanks Brain, I took your advice & she is there & the shop is being really cool about it all. I am sure I will be back in no time. The car made the trip with no problems