Can I Remove Side Markers In TX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can I Remove Side Markers In TX?

Hey guys, I'm going to get my front and rear bumper covers repainted (among other things) and the side markers have always been a problem. I don't like the shape as they don't fit the car. I was considering changing to a different side marker shape from a different car, but it would be a lot easier to just shave them off.

Does anyone know if this is legal in TX?
Would I be getting any tickets for them not being there?
Do you think the cops would even notice?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to have those side markers in the state of texas. you also need them to pass inspection.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

So I guess I'll need to graft new marker lights in, huh? That's a lot more work, but I guess that's the only option.

Anyone seen any oval or rounded side markers?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

On a ford taurus maybe.....
Old 07-09-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cyphur
On a ford taurus maybe.....
Ehhh. Not much into putting Ford parts on my Pontiac. If I had to, I wouldn't tell anybody.

I did however find this. 3rd pic I Googled of vettes turned up this:

I knew the C5 rear markers were a nice shape, but I didn't know of a matching front. Then I see what I guess is Euro amber rear marker. Whoo! Matching.

Anyone know what the material is around that marker? Is that fender steel, fiberglass or ABS plastic?

I figure I can find a destroyed panel in a junkyard, cut out 4 of them and then find those amber markers. Graft those suckers in and be done.

EDIT, found some for $20pr. ! Man, I thought they would be expensive.

Last edited by JasonWW; 07-09-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My sidemarkers are blacked out and no one has noticed yet. I got the car inspected with no problem. I got a ticket a while back for the other illegal things on my car, but the cop didn't notice the sidemarkers. I made some changes and got the judge to dismiss the ticket, still no mention of my sidemarkers being blacked out. At night though, my car looks legal.

Cliffnotes: You'd probably be okay during daylight. But at night you might run into problems.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

I just tinted mine with 20%. Looks black and when the lights are on they glow a small oval. They still reflect if light is shined directly on them, just dimmer. I am going to sand the raised numbers off and redo them when I get time because if you look close you can see a bubble around the raised area. Got pulled over and the cop didn't say anything about them.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just don't like the 90* corners on them. Even when the are blacked out you can see the rectangle seams.

Here's my car:

You can see how I painted them and it was OK, but you still see the rectangle shape. That's what I want to get rid of. I want all the lines of the car to flow like they are supposed to.

I'm still trying to figure out if the vette lights are recessed any. It looks like they are somewhat mounted on the surface. If that's the case. I may be able to just fill in the stock holes and mount the lights onto the surface.

On the other hand, flushing them in would probably look better. Anyone have any pics of the C5 rear marker removed?
Old 07-28-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

OK, I've figured out a way to fill in the holes and then flush mount any shape lens I want as long as it is not larger than the stock markers.

What would a good shape be?
I'm thinking a small circular shape front and rear.

Check these pics. Which do you think better compliments the curves of the car? Keep in mind I will use niteshades to darken the front so it doesn't stand out so much and maybe a little on the back one. So during the day they will blend in well, but at night the shape will be clearly seen.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

i would just take them to Tim Lane and have him smoke em. you wouldnt see them once bolted on. definately a must do.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
i would just take them to Tim Lane and have him smoke em. you wouldnt see them once bolted on. definately a must do.
That's not true. You are going to see the rectangle shape no matter what. That is what I want to get rid of.
Plus at night, the shape of the light will be ill defined.

BTW, I can smoke them myself. No problem there.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Does no one have a preference for the light shape?

Anyway, I was thinking maybe I could move the front amber side markers to the side vent area. Does anyone know if the law requires the front side markers to be in front of the front tires?

I might be able to relocated some type of red side marker in the side of the rear tail light. Then I could shave both markers from the stock locations.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I restored my '70 Camaro, I took them off.... nice and clean look
Old 08-16-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

FWIW, this guy used the Corvette side marker lights. I think they look much better than the rectangles that are used on the Fiero (and our F-bodies).

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/044137-12.html
Old 08-21-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

The fiero looks good with the vette lights, but I don't like how they stick out or how they look at night. The bulb only lights up the center area.

I think I'm going to make some little round lights and have them completely flush and then tint them so they blend in a little better.

If money gets low or I can't figure out how to mod that ABS (fiberglass and metal work is easy) I may just leave them stock and tint them. I know I'll regret doing it though.

I wonder if I can use some LED's behind the lens. Maybe make a circular shape with one in the middle to make the markers look really nice and uniform at night.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

There are probably a million ways to do it...

But one way would be to cut and weld the plastic using plastic strips from another bumper of the same material. That way you know it'll be compatible. Find a junked F-body front or rear bumper somewhere, and cut pieces of it to use as filler material. You can practice first on the junked bumper, and then move on to your good one as well.

(use one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41592 )

and try to use as little filler as possible. Evercoat makes a filler called PolyFlex that's supposed to be good at smoothing surfaces on flexible bumpers, and 3M has their own filler materials and bumper repair systems. But a welded part will be much less prone to popping out than a filler bond.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think I've come up with a good, all round, workable idea for getting rid of the sharp angles on the side markers.

I can carefully cut out the ends of the side marker holes in the front and rear bumper covers to make them rounded. Then find and modify a set of side marker lights that are larger to fit the new openings.

That will make the lights look like they belong on the car and were not tacked on as an afterthought. Then convert them to LED's (don't know what pattern or number to use yet). Then tint the whole thing with Niteshades.

With this idea there are no covers to add over the lights and no complicated urethane work to do.

What do you guys think of this front side marker mod?
First pic is stock (Reznor's car)
then a rounded shape
then getting darker
and darker.
Does the rounded shape flow better with the lines of the car or do you think the square shape is better?
I prefer the rounded, but it does seem a bit too large overall. Hmmm.

I was able to go out and buy a front bumper cover (damaged for 25 bucks) and will be cutting the ends out of one of the side markers and making a new lens to match the new shape. When it's done I'll post a pic so you can actually see it in person.

Quick Reply: Can I Remove Side Markers In TX?