Corvette Driver Stereotype?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Corvette Driver Stereotype?

OK, I'm going to try to be careful how I ask this question. Not a "bash Corvette owners" thread, just a question. Read it carefully. Note that most if not all of our Corvette owners in this forum would not fit this image as they do at least some of their own wrenching, take an active interest in tech, and actually know how to really drive their cars. Anyway, this is a stereotype that I have felt to have an element of truth in it for a long time, and I am curious how widely known/felt it is.

Question: "Are you aware of a stereotype of Corvette owners that they are just arrogent, pompous, self-important people who just happen to have a fat wallet, couldn't even change a spark plug themselves, and look down on anything that costs less than a Vette" (even if it could hand their *** to them)

OK, not looking for people to see this as a signal to trash Corvette owners, just want to see if you have heard/know about/feel that there is some truth to the stereotype.

Some of you may say I'm an idiot and master of the obvious, because they "knew" this before they even had a license. Some may say they have never heard of this ( ). I just want to see how widespread this image is. Thanks.

*note* Again, if you are a Corvette owner, but also an LS1tech member, you probably don't fit this stereotype.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup I have noticed that sterotype with many vette owners on the streets. Wont run or even give props because my car isnt a corvette. Eh sucks for them because I know I can drag many of them.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, for a perfect example see 96-speed
Old 07-21-2006, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

That stereotype has been around forever, and its definitely a fitting one that has been earned. There are reasons for this though. Figure most Corvette owners are in their 40's and later, maybe they waited their entire life for that car. Most of them are "Corvette enthusiasts", not "gearhead carguys". The Corvette has always been viewed as a status symbol in America, a sign of success. So, as such, it attracts more of the people that you described.

Not every Corvette owner is like this, but I'd easily agree that the majority of them fit the description of "snobby ego-centric that never get their hands dirty".

Oh well, doesn't bother me. The Porsche and Viper guys are worse
Old 07-21-2006, 09:05 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

I know lots of Corvette owners, some have that same attitude and little mechanical ability, but I've also met Camaro owners, Mustang owners, Porsche owners with that same attitude and lack of ability. Nothing funnier than listening to a F-body owner or Mustang owner that acts like they are driving some sort of high-end exotic sports car. People who are not "car-people", tend to look at these pompous owners like they are mildly retarded but extremely entertaining.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, Tony has it. The Vette owners that think it is just the fastest most expensive thing on four wheels make me laugh. But hey you know what they say the Vette gets em Wet. They dont have a cool saying like that for my M3 though :sad:

Thomas
Old 07-21-2006, 09:08 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I think a lot of Corvette guys buy them for prestige and the sportiness, because most of them never beat on them and most of them never race anywhere. I can't really understand anyone who would get a car that makes a lot of power who just putzes it around.

PSJ
Crazy red Z06 ready for all comers
Old 07-21-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Neilish!

My opinion about C5s, after owning one? I thought it was nicer than it really is. The electrical demons that plague most C5s are pathetic. The car is nothing special. Its fun to drive, looks ok, and that's it. I'd give the same description of my Fbody .

I find the same number of cocky-Crovette/any car owners as people with an anti-corvette attitude. Its a toss up. Who cares...I bought the car because its fun to drive. I spent less on my C5 than I did on a new pickup truck or Civic Si .

But to answer the question, yeah, its definitely out there for good reason.

Ryan
Old 07-21-2006, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

In Laredo Wwe Have A Corvette Association Down Here And Half Of Them Do Fit The Stero Type And The Other Half Do Their Own Work And Know Their Car From Top To Bottom And Will Not Assume That Their Cars Are Faster Than F-bodys Just Because They Have Vettes
Old 07-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Banned

sometimes I wish I'd never bought a vette.

It really aggravates me to be considered as the 'typical vette owner'

yes the car is badass, but its ONLY a freakn car!
Nothing more nothing less.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Just so everyone knows my **** don't stink so there ya go.. no just kidding.. but I live in the Colleyville Grapevine Southlake Area of DFdub and all there are around here are 17yr olds with Z06s thinkn they are hot **** cause daddy bought them a bad car and old farts with Porches and Lambos and I have to say they are the worse especially if you roll up on them and rev to say hi they freak and slam on the brakes. then there are some that will let you sit in there car and tell you all about it and those are the nice ones that are few and far between. But someday I hope to have a Brand Spankn new Vette so my **** wont stink anymore.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1LSWON
Yeah, Tony has it. The Vette owners that think it is just the fastest most expensive thing on four wheels make me laugh. But hey you know what they say the Vette gets em Wet. They dont have a cool saying like that for my M3 though :sad:

Thomas
M3 makes 'em pee?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:49 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Lets not forget the Corvette owner that has Chrome tail light covers as his only mod.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:53 AM
POC
Staging Lane

I've only met one like that. Happens to be a guy that I work with.

Story...

My car isnt stock alot of people at work know it. H/C, longtubes, offroad Y, pullies, FTRA. . . .blah blah blah 420 rwhp daily driven TA. One day at work this guy is talking all this mess about my car and that his stock C5 would mop the floor with my car. Now I have never told anyone that my car is fast or that i could beat this or that person. Im not like that because it just draws haters and haters key cars.

Just so happens that one night we (me and the C5 owner) left at the same time. We ended up at a red light together. This guy was too busy mad ******* me to realize that a cop just turned out in front of us. The light turns green, he burns his tires, and the cop lights him up. I just stayed at the green not even moving.

Of course now I get the "He's a chicken shhhhh to race me. He had his chance."

My response...Learn to lauch your car and well meet at the track.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

being a new vette owner myself, and coming from the F-Body world, I have to say that the stereotype is well defined. Vette owners are typically very good at repeating what they've been told (by GM's best, or some other excuse of a tech...) and get very grumbly when asked to consider another perspective. It's an elitist/egotistic mentality that most likely exists before the vehicle comes into the picture. The car itself is what physically conceptualizes the "doucheness" Ha!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by crsmetal
Just so everyone knows my **** don't stink so there ya go.. no just kidding.. but I live in the Colleyville Grapevine Southlake Area of DFdub and all there are around here are 17yr olds with Z06s thinkn they are hot **** cause daddy bought them a bad car and old farts with Porches and Lambos and I have to say they are the worse especially if you roll up on them and rev to say hi they freak and slam on the brakes. then there are some that will let you sit in there car and tell you all about it and those are the nice ones that are few and far between. But someday I hope to have a Brand Spankn new Vette so my **** wont stink anymore.

Not all young kids are like that.

Ive owned a Z06 for a year and a half now (21 y/o) and my **** smells just as bad as anyone elses. Yes, I know there is a stereotype for Corvette owners, but I don't feel like I fit under that category. I agree with what Tony said, alot of the older guys that drive these cars are established and don't feel the need to work on their cars when they could get someone else to do it. Well some of us aren't as well off and we have to do stuff on our own! But I do my part to try and prove that stereotype wrong!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

most old vette owners look at my camaro like its a joke if i pull up to them at a light...like oh my god your ss could never take my 50k vette
Old 07-21-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a tangent off of the stereotype of being stuck up, but I feel it is pertinant to address: corvette drivers/owners are rich.

Most consider the term "rich" to be an insult, I feel its a fair description. It isn't the term "rich," but the undertones that come along with its expression. People say rich and they really mean someone is overpaid/silver spoon/bank of mommy and daddy sponsored, and the person feels a little insecure and defends themselves/disregards the other person. I feel that most anyone driving a latemodel corvette, mustang, fbody, sportscar, etc around isn't exactly scraping by.

Example:

Young person works hard to afford a vette by themselves, but either a) lives with parents in order to be able to afford vette or b) gets hooked up with a $$$-job from someone "in the loop."

This person might work hard at their job, but in reality, yes, they are being paid way more than what they're worth and have toys because they have no expenses besides movies and going out. Is it their fault? Does it make them "rich?" I'll let someone else judge them, but I'll say yeah, they are rich. At the same time, I'll put myself in that category of "lucky to be in the position I'm in." I don't say "Rich" with malicious intent. I say "rich" and I mean they make good money. Simple and no offense intended.

Most people on this site are doing very well for themselves, when you consider the amount of people living paycheck to paycheck. I consider myself very fortunate, and hopefully I'll be able to afford a C5 for a while.

Ryan
Old 07-21-2006, 02:26 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks to all for the input and thanks for keeping it civil. I really was curious.

(I'd love to have a C6, but the " Corvete owner image" is one of the reasons I don't. Besides the obvious requirement to sell half the fleet to come up with that kind of cheese.)
Old 07-21-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 12ohhhhLS1
most old vette owners look at my camaro like its a joke if i pull up to them at a light...like oh my god your ss could never take my 50k vette
Yup that is happened to me alot of times. They take off all fast burnning out or on the highway they just downshift and think they have me beat. Then they just smile when i pass their ***. And sometimes they ask what is in it. I just smile and say i have exhaust work and headers and K&N filter.

I also raced a 2005-2006 viper They guy could not shift that thing for the life of him. He took off and I was at his tail light comming up as I was comming up i could hear that rev limiter Praaa tat tat tat.... In 2 gears I got all they way up to his mirror and he let off. Then he looked at me raised his finger and shook it and said NO. I was like WTF you took off before i did. Dumb *** racing like a ricer. Taking off when i thought he didnt wanna race.

Quick Reply: Corvette Driver Stereotype?