Advice upon being stiffed

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Advice upon being stiffed

A guy -not on LS1Tech (no trader ratings, low post count, shame on me)- stiffed me for a couple hundred bucks worth of parts - one part specifically.

Did it on paypal, but I am way past the 45 day statute of limitations, mostly because he geve me lots of excuses, I didn't need it right then, and I am a nice guy. But now I am an extremely pissed guy, and I want my money back, since I don't think he even has the part I want. In our most recent phone convo (2 weeks ago) he said he sent it, but would not provide tracking information, and did not even remember what address he sent it to.

He doesn't go to that site anymore, in fact, I found most of the forums he used to be on, and he's not posted on any of them in a month, but the one in his hometown has more or less blackballed him too, as everyone decided he was a chump there as well. I signed up for that one, and someone who knew him said "kick him in the face." Amusing, but less than practical.

I do have: his cell number, his AIM name, two of his email addresses, and the phone number to his local sherriff's department, as well as where he works, and every PM to and from him about this xaction - somewhere around 70 I think.

I leave vms, since last week he stopped taking my calls. I email sometimes. I AIMed him today. He did not immediately log off or block me.

But I am at a loss. Any ideas besides bodily harm/threat of bodily harm?

Old 08-15-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Email everything you have to the FBI. If he lied about having parts and took your money, its internet fraud and highly illegal.

Once you do that, let him know what you've done and maybe it'll scare some sense into him and you'll get some cash back.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had the same thing happen to me a while back i did everything i could think of and the only practical answer i go from anyone was to sue him but that would have cost me over $200 out of pocket it just was not worth the hassel. how much did you get screwed out of?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Unless it is for alot of money your pretty much **** out of luck as far as law enforcement is concerned, they don't really give a ****. Just beat his *** and take whatever money he has on him and call it a day.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:15 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Chalk it up to a learning lesson. Sorry to hear that you got taken.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Beat him up
Old 08-15-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have his number to his work? Call there and tell his manager that you hate to bring things from his personal life into his work, but you've exhausted every other route. If that doesn't work, I'd then try the Sheriff's office and see what advice they have for you Brian.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hawgs
You have his number to his work? Call there and tell his manager that you hate to bring things from his personal life into his work, but you've exhausted every other route. If that doesn't work, I'd then try the Sheriff's office and see what advice they have for you Brian.
Exactly what I would do
Old 08-15-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Where exactly does he live?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

West Virginia - one of the few states I have no friends in and never go to...ever.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by lo_jack
West Virginia - one of the few states I have no friends in and never go to...ever.

Country roads, John Denver?
Old 08-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

There is really not much you can do

That is why I don't buy used parts anymore unless its local and in-person. When I sell parts, same thing except I demand cash only.

I feel your pain though. We've all been burned at one time or another...
Old 08-15-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Unfortunately, it may be a situation of your word against his. Can you prove he didn't mail it? It doesn't matter if he can't prove he did because you can't prove he didn't. Without solid evidence of a crime, FBI won't investigate. I reported a mail fraud incident to the FBI before, and they pretty much told me the same thing. Crap gets lost all the time. This is why I always insist on delivery confirmation and insurance on any and all shipments coming to me (that, or pay extra and insist on UPS to get tracking information). I've been burned more than once with E-Bay to the point where I will go there only as a last resort.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can see that side of it, Cy, and it does make sense, were I on the other side.

I have investigated the paypal and I put in a claim, just for funzzies. So, we shall see. In the meantime some folks in his town are giving me all his contact detail that they have, just in case I have to try more extreme measures.

I have done so much good biz with 'tech and a couple other forums, I guess it was only a matter of time before I crossed paths with doucherocket.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

I can see that side of it, Cy, and it does make sense, were I on the other side.

I have investigated the paypal and I put in a claim, just for funzzies. So, we shall see. In the meantime some folks in his town are giving me all his contact detail that they have, just in case I have to try more extreme measures.

I have done so much good biz with 'tech and a couple other forums, I guess it was only a matter of time before I crossed paths with doucherocket.
It sucks for sure. Just be careful with your "extreme measures" because you not only run the risk of destroying any case you may have had, you could be the one ending up in jail.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:16 AM

I know what will solve this, drunk waffle house, I'll let you eat my rasin toast.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

booo! thieves only need one thing, a good *** beating.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
I know what will solve this, drunk waffle house, I'll let you eat my rasin toast.
Sweet! Waffles sure are tasty.

On a side note, after roaming the internet for a few days, I foudn a few forums this clown is still on. Also found another guy he sold another turbo to, didn't send it either. We are getting organized...I think that guy found the scammers address and home phone, and once I confirm that I will plan my next steps.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

sleep with his girl and then let her make you tastey waffles!

You win TWICE!