Police Jurisdiction Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Police Jurisdiction Questions

Is there anyway to determine a police department's jurisdiction? Is it legal for an officer to write a citation for an act that occurs outside of his jurisdiction?

I got a ticket for expired registration from Oak Ridge North Police Department on 45 north in Conroe. I've never heard of a city called Oak Ridge North so I did a little research on them and turns out their a small community (3,000 people) that didn't want to be annexed by Houston or The Woodlands... so they have a small little town across 45 from the Woodlands mall. How could their jurisdiction reach all the way to Conroe?

Small towns and their chicken **** fundraising tickets really **** me off.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

yes they can write tickets out of their jurisdiction..but they arent supposed to..they get a little slap on the wirst..thats what my friend whose cop told me when i asked him..
Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That sucks man, maybe Kevin can post in here and shed some light. Man you get more tickets than a colored. I keep all my **** current so I dont get beat downs from the officer man. Should take this to 20/20, say its DWR, driving while Ross.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Curveball TECH

A cop from El Paso can write you a ticket here in houston. The out of jurisdiction crap is a myth. But, if something like that happened you could keep moving back the court date hoping to catch him on a day where he isn't going to drive that far.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANSdAMn 2k
A cop from El Paso can write you a ticket here in houston. The out of jurisdiction crap is a myth. But, if something like that happened you could keep moving back the court date hoping to catch him on a day where he isn't going to drive that far.

so where do you go to court? El paso? Not attacking you or any thing but that seems really messed up, espically if you didnt commit a crime in El Paso. Would be like a cop from a dry county giving you a boot leging ticket in a wet county.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I just looked at the ticket again and he said he wrote it at 27000 I45 North (Oak Ridge North) when it actually was closer Willis.

They won't let me send paperwork showing the registration was renewed in a timely manner and won't let me reschedule the court day via the phone... I guess I have to drive 50+ miles there and hope it can be dismissed or rescheduled.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Curveball TECH

You go to court in the city you got the ticket in. I was using that as an extreme example.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a lawyer...pay him the $$
Old 08-16-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TRANSdAMn 2k
Exatcly. Jurisdictions are more of a courtesy consideration. Police officers are licensed in the state of Texas, not just the community in which they work. They can arrest anywhere in the state. Most choose not to because it's too much of a hassle, especially if it ends up going to court. Also, we are police officers 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. Therefore, the "He was off duty, etc." doesn't apply. That's another myth.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
get a lawyer...pay him the $$
I would but it's just an expired registration. They're just being ****** about me mailing them proof versus making me drive all the way up there.

Thanks for the info LS69TA
Old 08-16-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Kinda sounds like a pric if ya ask me. If you were'nt doing anything crazy and he went out of his was for a regestration ticket, then that's weak. we have a few like that where I work too.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

oak ridge cops will pull you over for any and everything...they patrol the whole woodlands area like its theirs...dont waste the money on a lawyer just take the info in...the courts around here are pretty chill if they see that you got it taken care of
Old 08-17-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so the issue is he changed the location to his city? did you even drive thru that area?

i have a ******** always doing that to me, DWG writitng tickets in Arlington, but changing the location to DWG city limits.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pSSycotic
oak ridge cops will pull you over for any and everything...they patrol the whole woodlands area like its theirs...dont waste the money on a lawyer just take the info in...the courts around here are pretty chill if they see that you got it taken care of
I took all my stuff in there and they dismissed it. Just pissed me off that they wouldn't let me submit proof via mail, and instead had to drive 55 miles up there in the middle of the day. It took her 2 minutes to look at my ticket and renewed registration and dismiss it... why I couldn't have mailed that stuff is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Josh McGrath
so the issue is he changed the location to his city? did you even drive thru that area?

i have a ******** always doing that to me, DWG writitng tickets in Arlington, but changing the location to DWG city limits.
Yeah I drove through their "area" of I45, but was far away from what I would think is their area when they pulled me over. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Police Jurisdiction Questions