Apartment mgmt

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Apartment mgmt

[rant]

I'm so sick of apartment complexes trying to get every last cent out of me. Its bad enough I pay overinflated rent for a place that is only worth maybe 60% of what I pay for rent each month, but then on top of that when I move out and leave the place spotless ... I get hit w/ another $226.24 bill.

Upon signing the lease the girl of the week (I say this b/c apartment complexes go through office girls like a fat kid goes thru a box of candy) told me and my room mates, it was ok to hang pictures on the wall as long as there was no damage worse than a little hole, etc. We could even repaint the walls a diff color if we painted them back to a 'white' before move out. Well the largest hole size we left in a wall was from a nail that probably measured to be about 1/16" in diameter.
Then, midway through my stay at the place ... the complex got new furniture for the apartments. However, they were only replacing the old furniture w/ the new when a new kid moved in, or the residents specifically asked for it.

So anyways, w/o further ado ... here's the bill I got:

Cleaning: Trash In common area ..........3.75 bullshit, there wasn't a spec of dust in the entire apt
Cleaning: Trash in bedroom ..............15.00 refer to same point above
Damages: Replace common area carpet ...... 153.32 our 3rd roommate had to pay a fee to have the carpet cleaned when he moved out in may ... we didn't do anything else to the carpet b/w may and aug
Damages: Common area touch up paint .... 5.00 lol ... nail/staple holes
Damages: Bedroom full paint - one wall .....30.00 ?????
Damages: Replace TV stand ................12.50 (this is credible, we fucked up the TV stand and threw it away)
Damages: Replace drip pans ....................1.25 they replaced them in may when the 3rd room mate moved out, did they think we weren't going to use the stove till we moved out?
Damages: Replace one sofa throw pillow ...........3.75 how can they charge us for a throw pillow they were going to replace anyways?

Anyways ... i realize they can't let ppl trash their place for free, but we saved them money in not having to go thru and clean the year that we didn't move out .. and our apt was in damn good condition for a 4yr old apt.

[/rant]
oh yea ... its the exchange
Old 09-20-2006, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

feel better jp? haha....i know what you mean though man. I am going through something similar to that right now with the house i am in.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats why im at the villas!!!!!! screw the exchange and every other place, im happy here
Old 09-20-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

i work for a management company right now, although im about to quit and sue the **** out of them..my old apartments are managed my the same ****** company that i work for and they are still trying to rape me for damages they have no proof of and that total over $500

in houston we have the HAA (houston apartment assosiation) I dunno about where u live but u can file complaints about the apartments to them and they make the apts show proof for any damages. if the apartments dont have proof of the damages then u can fight it and it will get dropped

Get the apartments to show you pictures of ALL the damages. This is like their life line, without pictures nothing will hold up.

then again i lived at the exchange in san marcos..apt got trashed by my old roomate during the week after i moved out...i never saw one bill from them
Old 09-20-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
feel better jp? haha....i know what you mean though man. I am going through something similar to that right now with the house i am in.
Oh i'm gonna be feeling alot better after I go in there tom and give them hell and call them out on this ****. There's no way in hell I'm going to put up w/ the **** i did while I lived there and then have to pay money to move out of there. Its not like they don't make enough money off people there already. Only good thing about living at the exchange is the summer pool parties on fridays ... WHICH you don't have to live there to attend!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

That is why I don't bother to clean in great detail. They are going to **** you anyway, at least make them work for the money
Old 09-20-2006, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

I took pictures of everything and made a video and sent it to the apts with a letter saying lets go to court. They havent tried to go to the creditors @ all yet. Because they know dam well I can screw them over if they try that crap. Oh and my bill was some ungodly BS amount like 550 or some **** like that. And I mean my photos were detailed because I have got fucked before! Every room,wall,door,carpet etc. LOL Im sure they were like um I guess we can just drop this one This is why I am so glad I bought a HOUSE!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I had thought to take pictures and what not ... what pisses me off more is that we had waited for 2 and a half hrs for them to come do the walk thru so that we would be there in person when they went through. But they never showed up and when we called they were like, Oh maintenence is doing there last walk through for the day today. They'll get you tom ...
Old 09-20-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
thats why im at the villas!!!!!! screw the exchange and every other place, im happy here
Im not too impressed with the villas. Theyre nice, but not 600 a month nice for the build quality of the place.

Anyways, that sux, I now know what to look over at the end of the spring semester when I move out of the zone.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Im not too impressed with the villas. Theyre nice, but not 600 a month nice for the build quality of the place.

Anyways, that sux, I now know what to look over at the end of the spring semester when I move out of the zone.
your difnitely right about that, but its better than the house, as long as im happy, the rent doesnt matter
Old 09-20-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
your difnitely right about that, but its better than the house, as long as im happy, the rent doesnt matter
Speaking of, we need to get a house next year. Im tired of this apartment bull ****.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I stayed two years at the "courtyard apartments" near the park on Harvey and i really liked it there. I would have stayed but i went in on a house. They didn't screw us at all when we left, they were really cool. I'd definitely recommend them to anyone coming here. Rent started at 510 first year (two years ago) and second year was 440 and that included all bills but electricity and extended cable.

William
Old 09-21-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i moved out of my first apartment me and my room mate left it IN BETTER CONDITION than it was in when we got it, and we got a bill for a couple hundred dollars. they charged 30/hr to clean for a few hours in an apartment that was SPOTLESS. they also charged us like 9 bucks each for a few lightbulbs that were apparently burned out, and they charged us for painting. we cleaned the walls and one was repainted anyway(knocked a hole in it that his dad, who is a carpenter, left better than new.) there were also a few other BS charges. we told them to **** off and didnt pay. they threatened to put it on our renters record and to sue, but nothing ever happened.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

sad to hear all of these horror stories. I have been fortunate with a great apartment staff here at signature park just east of 6 on university. they have fixed the couple of problems we have had without blinkin an eye. now if they could only find me a better roommate *cringe* (i live with my sis...she doesn't like to clean...and o yea, she drives a mustang)
Old 09-21-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Speaking of, we need to get a house next year. Im tired of this apartment bull ****.
im not buying a house in penn state jackass make up your damn mind im still convincing my mom to buy, if worse comes to worse i'll rent a house in Miramont
Old 09-21-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

the exchange sucks *****. the exchange up in lubbock will charge you for everything. and they dont let you put banners up on your patio

wanted to charge $40 for leaving a cheap *** kitchen stool on the porch.

tried to say that the pet deposit wasnt paid for (WHEN IT WAS) and tried to charge $100 per day.

I hate places that try to charge you for every little thing. its rediculous, especially when they try to charge you for bullshit.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep I would tell them that you want a full deposite back and that you have pics and if they want you will be more than happy to take them to court. Call there bluff, and I bet they do this to everyone there that leaves. The apt complex would also have to have pics and proof and which I doubt they do, so tell them that you want your money.. I do apt locating or use to and I hear this stuff all the time, you just have to put your foot up there A$$ like there trying to do to you. I am sure there is some kind of apt board up there like houston has, so contact them also. OR threaten to contact them if this is not taken care of in a timely fashion, ie 2 weeks max...

J
Old 09-21-2006, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

I bet money this is in College Staion. I had a guy charge me $160 for cleaning after I left the place cleaner then when I moved in.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea its in College station ... the good thing is that my "move in special" was that there was no deposit. So they're trying to get money from me. I figure they do this to everyone, on average if only half the people dispute it ... then they still are making thousands of dollars with how many apt's they turn over each year.

I realize they're in business and need to make money, and that they are not trying to build lifelong customer relationships, but abusing **** like this is just ******* rediculous. I went and talked to the fine girl in the front office today, and she says "well you need to submit the dispute in writing, i'd be more than happy to let you talk to a manager, but she'll most likely tell you the same thing. Just dispute everything in detail when you write us"

So ... I'm gettin started on what will probably be, the finest peice of literature I have written in my 4.5 years of college ...
Old 09-21-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

In Austin, we have the Austin Tennants Council. Go to them (or your local Tennants Council) with your grievance because it is illegal for them to charge you for clean up or anything else considered "wear and tear". If you left elephant **** in the hall closet, you would be liable for any charges incurred for cleanup but I don't think that happened here. Read over your lease agreement and see if they have any clauses that make those charges known. Also contact Texas Apartment Association which makes those lease forms legal and standardized so that the apartment owners do not break the law.