To any graduates of Sam Racing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To any graduates of Sam Racing.

I'm 17, a senior in high school, and debating on whether i should..
1. go to college, and get a degree in mechanical engineering ( i dicked around too much so ill be at community for gen-ed for atleast a year), then go to S.A.M.

2. Go to S.A.M right out of high school in the up coming fall.

3. Or go to UTI or wyotech. (also, what are your views on this school compared to S.A.M?)

My main question is how much can i expect to make out of sam in that field, in about 3-5 years. i was thinkin in the ball park of $60k, but i was looking more accurate numbers, so if anyone could give me a more accurate number, i would greatly appreciate it.

I'm on this site alot, and i figure you guys would know what your talking about.
thanks -
Mike

Last edited by ReLs1pect; 10-16-2006 at 09:21 PM. Reason: add in a question
Old 10-17-2006, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

I personally hired over 15 graduates from SAM when I was at LPE, in my opinion, it is one of, if not the best automotive school in the country.

As for your question regarding pay, it's going to depend on a lot of things. No one is going to pay you the big bucks right out of school, no matter where you go. You are going to have to prove yourself to future employers, not only by knowing your craft, but also by being a good worker (attendance, attitude, ability to work well with others) These things will all affect how much an employer is willing to pay. If you are at the top of your game, $60k 3-4 years down the road is not un-reasonable

In short, SAM will provide you with a top of the line education, but it's up to you to use it to the best of your ability.

Hope this helps,
Ed
Old 10-17-2006, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

i have a friend that went to wyotech said it was more of a party school if i were you i would go to s.a.m
Old 10-17-2006, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

oh im a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering so if you have any questions id be happy to help ...good luck man
Old 10-17-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

pm BigBronco,
he works at sam and i believe helps out with people considering going there.

Also, post in the Texas section, there are quite a few sam students and grads in there.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a similar thread that was posted on SSU, same topic.

http://www.seatstaysup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2716
Old 10-17-2006, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by austin21
oh im a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering so if you have any questions id be happy to help ...good luck man
werent we all freshman majoring in mechanical engineering at one time? i even tried to double up with industrial design, didnt work out so good.

so now i'm about to attend ATI (lesser well known school) for half the price of Wyotech and with way better living quarters (fully furnished apartments leased by the school is all they offer). i'm talkin 30k covers all 3 years and housing if you dont get any financial aid. still might go to another school after this though, i'd rather learn now while i still can rather than work until i'm dead...

PS the guy i know that went there is only 22 and is the motor/tranny guy for an IHRA pro-stock cavalier (RWD of course). and it runs 6.40s...
Old 10-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

im 17 too but im pretty set on mechanical engineering at Penn State. what is this S.A.M. school? i have never heard of it. i get comemrcials for Wyotech and UTI all the time but i have never heard of S.A.M. can someone PM me some info i am interested.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Teching In

S.A.M = school of automotive machinists in Houston. its a school where they teach you to build race engines. a school for us true gear heads. ------> its on the right as a sponsor.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mechanical Engineering, much more potential in the future and not just in automotive field.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:43 AM
Teching In

SAM was a great school to attend, tons of knowledge, incredible staff, and good career opportunities afterwards as long as you apply yourself. I knew a couple of other students there, who had already graduated uti, and were not happy with it. If you want to learn how to build kick *** race motors, go to SAM. Anything else automotive, it's not your place.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

moved to TX section.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:30 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by ReLs1pect
I'm 17, a senior in high school, and debating on whether i should..
1. go to college, and get a degree in mechanical engineering ( i dicked around too much so ill be at community for gen-ed for atleast a year), then go to S.A.M.

2. Go to S.A.M right out of high school in the up coming fall.

3. Or go to UTI or wyotech. (also, what are your views on this school compared to S.A.M?)

My main question is how much can i expect to make out of sam in that field, in about 3-5 years. i was thinkin in the ball park of $60k, but i was looking more accurate numbers, so if anyone could give me a more accurate number, i would greatly appreciate it.

I'm on this site alot, and i figure you guys would know what your talking about.
thanks -
Mike
I went to SAM and graduated in April of this year. I showed up to school everyday, stayed late (when I wasn't working), and payed attention. When I graduated, I went to Florida to build engines for an Offshore Powerboat company, started off at $14.00/hr, plus health/dental/life insurance after 90 days. We built Big block chevy engines, up to 1200hp on pump gas. Pretty cool job. They had called the school directly looking for an engine builder, as do many prestigous companies like Reher Morrison and A.J. Foyt.

How much money you make is ENTIRELY up to you and where you work. Work hard, be dependable, and continue learning even after school and anything is possible.

SAM is a school for high performance engines, UTI and Wyotech are more for the mechanics of a vehicle. I went to SAM and then built engines in a clean, air conditioned room all day. A guy from MMI (UTI's marine and motorcycle program) worked outside in the back putting in fuel systems/etc. and installing the engines.

Good luck whatever you decide, pm me if you have any questions about life after SAM.

Kent
Old 10-23-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have worked with several people who attended UTI, wyotech, and lincoln tech, and they all wish they had saved their money. I got a job at a dealership right out of high school, but I had to prove myself. With in a year I passed all of my ASE tests and that really opened alot of doors for me. I wish I would have known about S.A.M when I was still in school. I would have gone in a heart beat, I may still one day.

I've been out of high school a little over two years now and I'm about to start a new job working for Halliburton on their heavy equipment, and I should easilly make over $50k my first year there, and they also have great benefits too. There are plenty of good jobs out there, you just have to apply yourself and soak up every bit of information you can.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

SAM is what you make of it, use it for a good solid foundation and go from there and you will be good, but expect to put the time in as with any school. I know people that have college degrees but never did crap with them and still dick around. I know of a couple folks that used SAM as a spring board, put their dues in and are on their way to good careers.

Quick Reply: To any graduates of Sam Racing.