Anyone had experience with Westwood College or ITT TECH for CAD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had experience with Westwood College or ITT TECH for CAD?

Me and my buddy are considering goin to westwood college in ft worth or itt tech in arlington for CAD but we really cant decide which on both are great schools but im still not sure wheter i would wanna do CAD or not, any input would be great if any one on here has attend one of these schools.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Go to a real college and get your degree. If you look at the ITT commercials, none of their credits transfer to other universities, wonder why that is.

And as for Westwood, I went to their aviation school in Houston (now Redstone). All I can say about that is that quality education was not thier strong suit........ keeping you in class so they could collect the $$$$ seemed to be their priority.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

From what I have gathered, ITT is a good school, but they don't teach Microstation. I am a CAD designer and knowing Microstation is a big plus. So if westwood offers the course I would lean toward there, but remember ITT on your resume looks good too.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Launching!

I would not recommend choosing ITT or any technical school if you are unsure about what you want to do. My experience with ITT was not a good one and like was stated before, credits do not transfer.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Launching!

good question, also what about for learning automap and autocad stuff? we use ArcGIS and some of our clients use CAD. knowing both would be a plus. ive looked at distnace learning, but taking a night class that the company pays for would be ok with me too.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Launching!

i know nothing about autocad. is it hard to learn? is it Automap similar to Arcmap? if so that would be cool Arcmap is the ****, except when it randomly ends program on you, that kinda sucks.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definatly go to a school where you can transfer your credits.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
definatly go to a school where you can transfer your credits.
or to a school where the degree is worth more than used toliet paper.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hawgs
or to a school where the degree is worth more than used toliet paper.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Launching!

which means dont go to texas tech!!

(it was too easy to throw that one in, i had to)
Old 11-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by A&M drty brd
i know nothing about autocad. is it hard to learn? is it Automap similar to Arcmap? if so that would be cool Arcmap is the ****, except when it randomly ends program on you, that kinda sucks.

I have not used Automap of Arcmap. Autocad is not hard to learn. It is very userfriendly unlike some other programs I have used (Micro Station). Guess it all depends what you learn first. They have their own short cuts and key commands. I found myself trying to use Auto Cad 2-key commands while trying to figure out Micro Station. Now if you can get into PDMS you're talking $$$$.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want to do CAD, go to a community/junior college and get a certificate in CAD. It's a couple of semesters and it gets you pretty proficient in AutoCAD.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think most of our CAD guys are from Tarleton or TSTC. We use MicroStation here (though I use AutoCAD with custom runtime extensions, I'm the only one in the company that does).
Old 11-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Launching!

I went to just look at ITT in September and 2 days after the visit I told them iam not interested. Since then they have sent me a letter telling me I am signed up for classes beginning after thanksgiving, called me numerous times, and sent me an email telling me I needed to come in and finish my financial aid and everything. I have told the same lady 3 times I am not interested. The next time I hear from them I will pursue a lawyer and report them to the BBB. I say screw them!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Texas State technical college (tstc) up in waco has some good CAD programs. They offer a few 2 year degress, and all of the credits will tranfer to other colleges.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm the senior drafter at a crane manufacturer in Houston, and we've gone through about 10 rookie drafters in the last year. All I can say about ITT is that for the money, you do NOT get what you pay for.

Community college is WAY cheaper and WAY better. I did my learning at a community college (in Iowa) and finished in 2001, and my program was a 9 month program - two semesters and a summer session. It wasn't even a degree program, it was a diploma (certificate) program. And within 5 years I'm a senior drafter with two employees working under me. I'm not saying anyone can do that, though - unique circumstances led me to where I am now.

At ITT you learn a tiny bit about a whole bunch of stuff, which means you can't do any of it well when you graduate. And it costs a ton of money. At community college you will (typically) not only learn the software, you learn real DRAFTING skills, and I guarantee that you will need them.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Banned

thanks guys this is alot of help to me bc im goin in the dark here with my future and im still not quite sure on what to do

Quick Reply: Anyone had experience with Westwood College or ITT TECH for CAD?