Need Help - Throwing Codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Curveball TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Need Help - Throwing Codes

Here's the deal:

I have gutted cats. The rear 02 sensors have been deleted(at a shop). I just replaced the front two 02 sensors.

The new 02's have been on the car for about 4 days and I still had an SES light on. Yesterday I reset the computer and now today the light came back on. It's giving me P0430 and P0420. Autozones description:

"The PCM has determined that the catalyst system efficiency for bank 2(and 1 for the other code) is below threshhold for the current engine operating conditions."

Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions for fixing it???
Old 11-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Get a tune done. PM ESR
Old 11-10-2006, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Agreed, if you really want to solve this issue and not re-visit it, you need to get it tuned. Getting the codes deleted is like a temporary bandage for your issue. Best of luck.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRANSdAMn 2k
Here's the deal:

I have gutted cats. The rear 02 sensors have been deleted(at a shop). I just replaced the front two 02 sensors.

The new 02's have been on the car for about 4 days and I still had an SES light on. Yesterday I reset the computer and now today the light came back on. It's giving me P0430 and P0420. Autozones description:

"The PCM has determined that the catalyst system efficiency for bank 2(and 1 for the other code) is below threshhold for the current engine operating conditions."

Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions for fixing it???
When you say you got the rear O2s "deleted" are you referring to that they physically removed them, or removed them AND turned off catalyst codes for the rear sensors? If it's the latter, they obviously did not do a thorough enough job. There are a total of 8 catalyst codes to set inactive, the P0420 and PO430 are further down the list. I'd go back and tell them to make the adjustments. Now, if you've had no programming at all, then sims or tuning would be necessary, for the price of sims, most shops will program the codes out for you and the issue will no longer be of any concern.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:47 PM
LS7 Member

Thanks horns. I did not just "temporarily" reset them, I had the codes DELETED from the computer by MTI. I guess maybe he missed or forgot some. It looks like I'll have to take another trip back.

BTW I got a f'n inspection ticket about 45min ago, Luck sure is pouring my way!!

-Matthew(TRANSdAMn)

Last edited by UTzo6; 11-10-2006 at 06:56 PM.