Recognize this car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recognize this car?

I recently bought this 2000 Z-28 from Plano, TX. It lived its life in and around the Dallas area. Based on some of the mods, I am guessing that it frequented the local tracks (probably more road courses). I picked it up through a dealer that bought it wholesale. I have tracked down the dealership where it was traded in by the original owner, and I have the owner's name, but his address has changed from what is on the title. I would like to know what engine mods have been done. I was told that the cam has been swapped and the heads ported, but I would like to know for certain without a teardown to inspect. The car was cheap enough for the gamble. Does anybody recognize this car? If so, please help me get in touch with the owner. There were two names on the title, David and Robert (I won't post last names, I am guessing father and son). I have contacted the dealership where it was traded in to see if they would have the owner call me, but nothing yet.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:28 PM
SSU Moderator

Why yes, I recognize that car. I saw 7 of them on the way to work this morning (Allen to Plano). Perhaps a different method is needed.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good looking car
Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RyanJ
Why yes, I recognize that car. I saw 7 of them on the way to work this morning (Allen to Plano). Perhaps a different method is needed.
I wasn't expecting everybody to know the car, but for a modified car that lived 6 years in northern Dallas, and looks to have been focussed towards track improvements, it would seem very possible that the owner could have been a member, or a friend of one of the members in the Dallas area. Thanks again for all the help that you have been. I look forward to seeking your wisdom in the future.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MESS
Good looking car
Thanks, needs some work, which is why I felt it was a good price. Looks better from 20ft.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RyanJ

smart ***. he is just seeing if the previous owner was on here.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

nice car, how much did you pick her up for if you don't mind the question.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

I didn't know that they made Z's with non-black roofs for the ls1's other than the anniversary. anyone more knowledgeable know?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mikey-Z-28
I didn't know that they made Z's with non-black roofs for the ls1's other than the anniversary. anyone more knowledgeable know?
The roof has been painted, poorly I might add, there are some bubbles there and on the rear spoiler.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crsmetal
nice car, how much did you pick her up for if you don't mind the question.
Lets just say less that $8000. As I mentioned I couldn't speak to the original owner, so I am having to spend time figuring out the mods so far. It has a lid (but it's cracked, so it needs to be replaced), a K&N filter, long tube headers(haven't figured out the brand), ORY & Catback of unknown origin, lowering springs front and rear along with lower trailing arms and adjustable panhard bar (also unknown brand so far, but powdercoated red, might help in figuring it out), and BMR subframe connectors. It idles like there is a bigger cam, but I have no details on it, and I was told that the heads were ported, also no proof or details yet. Plus there are the 17 & 18" Vette wheels.

Interior is all stock, system is all stock with some problems, rear seatbelts were missing, rear seat wasn't bolted in, most of the rear interior panels are loose like they were quickly thrown in, and it looks like there might have been a loop welded in for shoulder harnesses at one time.

The front was damaged at one time, not to the core support, but painted poorly. The rear was also repaired and painted, better than the front, but not up to decent standards. I hope to be able to fund a paint job this spring.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesnt sound like you got too bad of a deal, especially with the mods. How many miles does it have?

BTW: I have a brand new SLP Lid that i can sell ya, and i will be rolling through Cold Spring on Saturday night if all goes as planned. I could stop by your place. And i could help identify some of your mods Let me know what you think!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Faze
The roof has been painted, poorly I might add, there are some bubbles there and on the rear spoiler.
oh i guess thats why. I like the black roof though. i wonder why you'd want to disguise a car to look more like a V6
Old 11-14-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey-Z-28
oh i guess thats why. I like the black roof though. i wonder why you'd want to disguise a car to look more like a V6
The Sleeper effect now all you gotta do is debadge it

Edit: Didnt see it already is debadged, guess it could pass as a V6 then, haha.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jakson
Doesnt sound like you got too bad of a deal, especially with the mods. How many miles does it have?

BTW: I have a brand new SLP Lid that i can sell ya, and i will be rolling through Cold Spring on Saturday night if all goes as planned. I could stop by your place. And i could help identify some of your mods Let me know what you think!
It had 65,000 on it when I picked it up. Definitely needs some work, but should be fun. PM me with a price on the lid, and I should be around Sat.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 AM
TECH Junkie

is there a spacer on the rear vette wheels.

good looking car.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

never seen any cars like that and i attend north dallas car meets and events
Old 11-15-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

shot me the vin# and I can give you the service history from GM on it and the build out on it also.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

How about some pics of the charger in the background?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brandon Boomhauer
How about some pics of the charger in the background?
Yes, X2
Old 11-15-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

I saw that car in autotrader. I was looking at mabey getting it. i liked the all pweter look and it looked like a good deal.