12grand for a NEARLY stock motor rebuild!?!

Old 11-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12grand for a NEARLY stock motor rebuild!?!

Its along story but i need help... 12000 for a motor with forged pistons cam and headers just doesnt seem right to me... Through this whole thing i have paid for 3 cams, 4 sets of comp lifters, 3 times at a machine shop, pistons, shortblock, 3 bearing sets , shop work and everything else that goes along with a motor rebuild 4 times

OK heres the story march 2006 i decided to do a cam heads swap on a 01 firebird formula. The install went smooth but had one big issue.. no oil pressure. When that happened i decided to have a shop look at it and see if they could tell whats going on. They took apart the motor the reason for no oil pressure was that a few of the comp type r lifters had seized inside the block and they destroyed the cam.. Heres where the fun begins. I bought a used short block off of ls1 tech and sent that to them becuase the only thing they could find was long blocks. bought another new cam new lifters they rebuilt the motor with new rings and lower bearings but used the same heads that where on the destroyed motor..When they got it running again guess what happened? The lifters had flattened out and once again destroyed the cam. They beleived the cause for no oil pressure was that the cam bearings on the used shortblock where bad. So they sent the motor to calverts. He replaced all the bearings in the motor and sent it back to the shop. Put the motor back together new cam new lifters gaskets same heads again... Turned it on lifters once again flattened out and destroyed the cam. When they started to take apart the motor again one the of the cam bearings came out with the destroyed cam. Once again sent the motor to calvert he replaced only the cam bearings and we put it back together this time using the stock heads with the 918 springs off of the ported heads new cam new lifters the whole nine yards again... put the motor back together turn it on and FINALLY it runs.. But it doesnt end there. after breaking in the motor for 1000 miles i go to turn on the car once again 0 oil pressure. motor came out once again and was sent back to calverts. According to calvert metal from the cams that had been destroyed the last 3 times had made its way to the lower bearings and destroyed them. it also had torn up the cyclinder walls. So the motor was bored out to get the scratchs out of the cyclinder walls i ad forged pistons put in because the price would cost nearly the same as stock new bearings and new lifters. The cam was fine.

In the end the heads where the problem all along they need shorter pushrods then what they kept putting in which caused the lifters the jam themselfs into the cam.

if you want the name of the shop pm me they do alot of work on cobras and a few ls1's and they are local to dallas

I guess what im looking for is dont you think the shop should pay for there own mistakes? I understand the first time was my fault. But i repeatedly told them he heads where stage 3 ported and polished from the begining but they never wanted to check for pusrod length and they dfidnt believe that the heads could be the problem.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

post the name of the shop if you have a complaint...sounds like HPP to me if you say mostly cobra's and a few ls1's. (not saying HPP is a bad shop)
Old 11-14-2006, 12:38 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
...sounds like HPP to me if you say mostly cobra's and a few ls1's. (not saying HPP is a bad shop)
If they never checked the pushrod length they are.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
If they never checked the pushrod length they are.
Hey I don't know what happened or what's going on, I'm just not going out on a limb and throwing a shop under the bus. He's leaving what shop it is kinda in the dark so he needs to come forth and say it basically.

I just don't want to get blasted by the hpp nuthuggers for sayin it could be their shop.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Formula06
Its along story but i need help... 12000 for a motor with forged pistons cam and headers just doesnt seem right to me... Through this whole thing i have paid for 3 cams, 4 sets of comp lifters, 3 times at a machine shop, pistons, shortblock, 3 bearing sets , shop work and everything else that goes along with a motor rebuild 4 times

OK heres the story march 2006 i decided to do a cam heads swap on a 01 firebird formula. The install went smooth but had one big issue.. no oil pressure. When that happened i decided to have a shop look at it and see if they could tell whats going on. They took apart the motor the reason for no oil pressure was that a few of the comp type r lifters had seized inside the block and they destroyed the cam.. Heres where the fun begins. I bought a used short block off of ls1 tech and sent that to them becuase the only thing they could find was long blocks. bought another new cam new lifters they rebuilt the motor with new rings and lower bearings but used the same heads that where on the destroyed motor..When they got it running again guess what happened? The lifters had flattened out and once again destroyed the cam. They beleived the cause for no oil pressure was that the cam bearings on the used shortblock where bad. So they sent the motor to calverts. He replaced all the bearings in the motor and sent it back to the shop. Put the motor back together new cam new lifters gaskets same heads again... Turned it on lifters once again flattened out and destroyed the cam. When they started to take apart the motor again one the of the cam bearings came out with the destroyed cam. Once again sent the motor to calvert he replaced only the cam bearings and we put it back together this time using the stock heads with the 918 springs off of the ported heads new cam new lifters the whole nine yards again... put the motor back together turn it on and FINALLY it runs.. But it doesnt end there. after breaking in the motor for 1000 miles i go to turn on the car once again 0 oil pressure. motor came out once again and was sent back to calverts. According to calvert metal from the cams that had been destroyed the last 3 times had made its way to the lower bearings and destroyed them. it also had torn up the cyclinder walls. So the motor was bored out to get the scratchs out of the cyclinder walls i ad forged pistons put in because the price would cost nearly the same as stock new bearings and new lifters. The cam was fine.

In the end the heads where the problem all along they need shorter pushrods then what they kept putting in which caused the lifters the jam themselfs into the cam.

if you want the name of the shop pm me they do alot of work on cobras and a few ls1's and they are local to dallas

I guess what im looking for is dont you think the shop should pay for there own mistakes? I understand the first time was my fault. But i repeatedly told them he heads where stage 3 ported and polished from the begining but they never wanted to check for pusrod length and they dfidnt believe that the heads could be the problem.
**** post it up!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Yes the shop is HPP the car has been up there since April and is still up there. Im not saying its a bad shop and they have worked with me but i didnt have the car for prom and i had to buy a motorcyce just to get around . now its getting damn cold to ride the bike.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Who were the techs that didn't belive it was the heads/pushrod length?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take them to court
Old 11-14-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Who were the techs that didn't belive it was the heads/pushrod length?
Is CJ working there? Sounds like a halfass job he'd do!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Teching In

James has been working on the car but i kept telling manny ozzy and wade that they are stage 3 p&p heads and are probly milled but i wasnt for sure. I dont think they ever told james. When they finaly decided to try shorter pushrods it was to late the cam had already been eaten up. that was the last time they used those heads and decided just to swap springs from ported heads to stock heads. I will tell you James does great work
Old 11-14-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone building/assembling a motor and knowing heads had work on, and didn't check the pushrod length is an idiot. I've seen it happen to a close friend at RPM too. Hell it just happened a few weeks ago.

Sorry you head to deal with that, but 12k is rediculous, and its not like it hasnt been said before, they aren't the best, or even near that for LSx work in DFW.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:44 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

HPP is a BADA$$ shop for MOD MOTORS.... But I wouldn't take my LS1 there, Not saying they can't work on LS1s,,, Just that they have more experience in Mod motor cars. Look at their two Banner cars. Both are Mod motor cars...

Manny is a good guy & I hope he makes it right,,,,,, Please keep us posted.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats why I deal with only site sponsors (local ones at that)
Old 11-14-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Even sponsors put out shotty work dude...
Old 11-14-2006, 03:12 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SEBLS1
HPP is a BADA$$ shop for MOD MOTORS.... But I wouldn't take my LS1 there, Not saying they can't work on LS1s,,, Just that they have more experience in Mod motor cars.
Only because mod motors don't have pushrods.

For $12k you could have had a 427 with ETP's. You need some money back. If they wanted to try and learn LSx's they should have tried it with a shop car.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's Right..

I say after all the **** you've had to deal with, buying a extra motor, cams, bike and not having the car for the prom, the shop should have to pay you and fix your car.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by UB2SLO
That's Right..

I say after all the **** you've had to deal with, buying a extra motor, cams, bike and not having the car for the prom, the shop should have to pay you and fix your car.

should let you borrow the twin turbo cobra for prom
Old 11-14-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Just because they don't sponsor on this board doesn't mean they don't sponsor somewhere else. They are a sponsor and are local for this guy.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Ok im starting to get mad... Right know we have been argueing back in forth on the bill... Aparently everything that broke was my fault becuase i brought them "Used parts". And now apparenty according to them im bashing them on here?!? I havent said ONE word to bash them. Iv said they have worked with me and there head mechanic is a good guy... o and i forgot to add 4 oil pumps also becuase we didnt want metal shavings that could be in there in there. They are telling me to get an attorny so does anyone have any good lawyers that they know of?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula06
Ok im starting to get mad... Right know we have been argueing back in forth on the bill... Aparently everything that broke was my fault becuase i brought them "Used parts". And now apparenty according to them im bashing them on here?!? I havent said ONE word to bash them. Iv said they have worked with me and there head mechanic is a good guy... o and i forgot to add 4 oil pumps also becuase we didnt want metal shavings that could be in there in there. They are telling me to get an attorny so does anyone have any good lawyers that they know of?
I know plenty.... work for VZ yellow pages

Search this Thread