Perf. Transmission School in TX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Perf. Transmission School in TX?

I just came across a little cash and have always wanted to start my own business....

Anyways I was thinking about going to school to build race trannys auto & manual...but have not found much online.

I have been saving to go to S.A.M. here in Houston forever, and finally have enough..but thought that a tranny shop would be much easier to start up while also requiring waaay less money to start.

Anyways! If anyone knows where I can find out how to learn to rebuild 4l60's, T56s, etc LET ME KNOW!

I already have a basic understanding of how everything works and I am a fast learner, just need some professional direction!

The market is there, I just need the know-how

Thanks guys!
Old 11-18-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

there is acourse offered at HCC on Airline DR. and I45 that offers the rebuilding and mechanicals on manual and auto trans, and i have afriend who graduated, from there a few yrs ago and told me about it, he does mostly stock stuff, and he has a 9 sec. sbc camaro with a th400 that he built
i am also interested in that course, and i need to get further info.
u should look into it
Old 11-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Launching!

what is sam?
Old 11-18-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

www.SAMracing.com

Check it out. We train the men and women who go work into the professional racing industry building racing engines. We only train the machining and performance theory. Nothing else.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBronco
www.SAMracing.com

Check it out. We train the men and women who go work into the professional racing industry building racing engines. We only train the machining and performance theory. Nothing else.
thats all i want to know
Old 11-18-2006, 11:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

Trust us the transmission business is not the easiest way to go. There are alot of competitiors out there for both 4L60E's as well as T56's. Most of the big names trump the small shops on pricing as well as customer service so it is hard to get ahead. It takes alot of money to do it. More than what most people think. Joe went to SAM and does use his education to benifit the shop. My suggestion would be to attend sam before you decide to jump into anything. I can assure you it will pay off in the end. No one in the transmission industry is going to teach you how to take there customers away from them. You will most likely make more money if you attend SAM than if you don't.

Thanks,
Amber
T56Rebuilds.com
Old 11-19-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
Chris,

Trust us the transmission business is not the easiest way to go. There are alot of competitiors out there for both 4L60E's as well as T56's. Most of the big names trump the small shops on pricing as well as customer service so it is hard to get ahead. It takes alot of money to do it. More than what most people think. Joe went to SAM and does use his education to benifit the shop. My suggestion would be to attend sam before you decide to jump into anything. I can assure you it will pay off in the end. No one in the transmission industry is going to teach you how to take there customers away from them. You will most likely make more money if you attend SAM than if you don't.

Thanks,
Amber
T56Rebuilds.com
I am just worried about getting a good job RIGHT AWAY after finishing at S.A.M.

I dont want to be searching for a nice place to work for too long, I want to go right to work.

I have always wanted my own shop building top end motors and custom fabbed parts for a great price, it just takes a lot more money, but I am willing to save more

I know they have job placement, and I have no doubt that I would be useful anywhere I choose to go, but I do not want to have to relocate to another city just to work for someone else. If I could get a job working at a top name company, close to where I live(Houston), for above average pay, then I'd be all for it. Otherwise, why bother?

Maybe I should post a new thread asking about S.A.M. and see where some of the alumni are working and how they feel about where they ended up

Thanks Amber

BTW the tranny is working great! I have to pull it back out to replace the clutch/master/slave/flywheel. I should see you guys at the track. I was out there last weekend I think, couldnt get the pedal to stop sticking Drove me nuts

Anyways thanks for the info and thanks for the sweet tranny! Feels good to be banging gears again, I love it!
Old 11-19-2006, 12:22 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go to SAM in a heartbeat. I will just go and crash out at Gray's for a year or 2. Free!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

You should for sure post up about sam. I know Joe found a job before he even finished sam working for Lingenfelter in Indiana. There are tons of shops here in houston. I am sure you can find something before you finish or shortly there after.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 11-19-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I go to SAM now, and if you apply yourself, come to school every day, and practice, you will have no problem getting a job.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

You are more then welcome to post up about SAM. Many alumni post up on ls1tech. But most of our guys that work in the NHRA on Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock or in the Nextel Cup/ Busch Circuit do not have THAT much time to post up on the boards, like LS1tech.

Quite a few are on www.speedtalk.com
Old 11-19-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
Chris,

You should for sure post up about sam. I know Joe found a job before he even finished sam working for Lingenfelter in Indiana. There are tons of shops here in houston. I am sure you can find something before you finish or shortly there after.

Thanks,
Amber
Thats what I wanted to hear lol

I am just soo scared of going back to school! The last time I got sucked into some cookie-cutter school that didnt teach you anything you prbably dont already know. Just took my money, gave me a stupid certificate that doesnt even mean anything, and kicked me out the door with promises of high pay and job security lol

Maybe if I would have went with my instincts and went to S.A.M. in the first place who knows...

But the time is now and the place is here so I guess Im going to go see what kind of financial aid I can get so I dont have to spend all of my cash on just tuition. I would like to be able to focus on school and stay after hours, etc if at all possible...

Another MAJOR issue is job location...I dont want to move too far from Houston, where my girlfriend is. Everything I do has to take her into consideration. She has a great job and I would not ask her to move for the world! As long as I think I can get an exciting, good paying job with nice people somewhere in the Houston vicinity...Im game!

Thanks for the input Amber, I know you are busy
Old 11-19-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, we also have a VERY good Financial Aid director that also work here at the school too. I went through the program as well so we can all tell you what the deal is.

The more you practice, the better the job you get in the end is. I will tell you RIGHT NOW though, the VERY BEST jobs currently are out of state. I know 3 more guys are going to PRO NHRA teams (in the next month) and will be getting paid to travel the country and working on race cars everyday.

All depends on what you want to do though, lots of places to go here in Houston as well. But remember if you want to do your own shop, Houston has a saturated market. Lots of shops here, although some motor builders clearly are not as good as others.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
I go to SAM now, and if you apply yourself, come to school every day, and practice, you will have no problem getting a job.
Man I live and breath this stuff....my only issue right now is I need to help my GF get her own car so she can drive herself to work, as I have to drive her to/from work 6 days a week...

After I get that taken care of(saving for GTO) I will probably see you up there at SAM then!

We have a sizable DP for her car, just having problems getting financed as she doesnt have credit yet She may have to wait on the GTO, but the poor thing wants it sooo bad lol
Old 11-19-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Well, we also have a VERY good Financial Aid director that also work here at the school too. I went through the program as well so we can all tell you what the deal is.

The more you practice, the better the job you get in the end is. I will tell you RIGHT NOW though, the VERY BEST jobs currently are out of state. I know 3 more guys are going to PRO NHRA teams (in the next month) and will be getting paid to travel the country and working on race cars everyday.

All depends on what you want to do though, lots of places to go here in Houston as well. But remember if you want to do your own shop, Houston has a saturated market. Lots of shops here, although some motor builders clearly are not as good as others.
I figured the BEST jobs were out of state, but there are surely some good companies locally that I could get into?? I take pride in everything I do, and would put my name on anything I've worked on, so I dont see a problem with applying myself, etc.

I am just wondering if the need for machinists here in the Houston vicinity is high?

BTW I may have to stop by soon to talk to your Financial Aid guy...I may be interested in staggering the two machining courses to knock it all out in 9 1/2 months, as long as your Fin Aid guy can make it happen

As far as market saturation....couldnt a lot of business come from out of state even though I would be located around here?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

SAM is a great school. I've taken the tour and was very impressed. I'm going there after I get my 4 year business degree and 2 year degree at tstc.