Can anyone unlock phones?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone unlock phones?

Anyone here know how to unlock cell phones? I really want to know how because i have a bunch of phones from bestbuy.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

you have to take it to someone and have it done. usually if you have a friend or know someone who works at a cell phone store, they can do it for you under the table. if its a t-mobile phone, you have to take it to a t-mobile store, same for all others. i got someone to unlock my friends phone for 10 bucks.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually if you just buy the software you can unlock just about any phone. And updates to unlock the newer phones.
You dont have to take it anywhere in most cases. Nokia phones have them prebuilt into the CMOS. Razors have to be unlocked via usb/infared. Each phone and make is different but not much harder then a few clicks. Do a search on yahoo, plenty of sites will do it or tell you how. Then you can go from there. First part of the information you need is a phone model. Sometimes youll need your IDS/IMEI/ETC. # to get your unlock code. Its all dependant on the phone/carrier.
-J
Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Call me ignorant, but what is the purpose of having an unlocked phone?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

im confused what are you talking about chris
Old 03-29-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XxNaSDaQxX
Actually if you just buy the software you can unlock just about any phone. And updates to unlock the newer phones.
You dont have to take it anywhere in most cases. Nokia phones have them prebuilt into the CMOS. Razors have to be unlocked via usb/infared. Each phone and make is different but not much harder then a few clicks. Do a search on yahoo, plenty of sites will do it or tell you how. Then you can go from there. First part of the information you need is a phone model. Sometimes youll need your IDS/IMEI/ETC. # to get your unlock code. Its all dependant on the phone/carrier.
-J
i'm glad you said this, now i wont have to go searching for someone to unlock another phone!
Old 03-31-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gun4hire
Call me ignorant, but what is the purpose of having an unlocked phone?
Some cell phones are designed to use a Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) card, or microchip that stores subscriber data. The SIM card is issued by a carrier and provides cell service by activating any phone into which it is inserted. A locked phone, however, will only recognize a SIM card from a particular carrier. If the cell phone is unlocked, it will recognize a SIM card from any carrier. The "lock" is a software setting that keeps the cell phone "loyal" to one carrier.

In areas like the United States where carriers offer free or deeply discounted phones with cell plans, the phones are commonly locked so that they will not work with other carriers. Carriers claim this is necessary to subsidize the cost of the phones. After a period of time, a carrier might agree to unlock the phone upon request, perhaps charging a fee.

Example:
If you have a Phone with a sim card. And you want to keep that phone due to the style, the phonebook, notes, etc. (whatever), because your wishing to change providers. You can unlock the phone to work with any other provider phone that uses a simcard. Its harder for phones without sim cards, as you have to flash the provider software to hack it. Or you have to find the code for it. When I say code, I mean IMEI. You have to hold or press a combination of keys to get to hidden menu options.

tripps:
Your welcome, I do this sometimes. Don't pay over 25 bucks anywhere i wouldnt pay more then 10 literally. But if you get the software with free 1 year updates 40-60 is fair. If you want the hardware (all purpose) and cause you need it very often youll be looking at 300-500. Goodluck to ya.

-J

Last edited by XxNaSDaQxX; 03-31-2007 at 07:51 AM.