Astros - "the blow every win baseball team"

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astros - "the blow every win baseball team"

I smell a 2006 season all over again. At least they didn't throw Lidge in this time...

Interested to see how Woody plays as an Astro tomorrow night. He's from Cy-fair isn't he?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

I dont know about where Woody is from... but those DisAstros better figure this **** out. 0-2........I dont like the sound of that.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DSIM
I dont know about where Woody is from... but those DisAstros better figure this **** out. 0-2........I dont like the sound of that.
DisAstros ha! Do a smell a new team nickname in the works?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
DisAstros ha! Do a smell a new team nickname in the works?
I prefer Lastros.

0-2 isn't bad, it's a long season. The questionable bullpen giving up 2 late leads is reason for concern though. Especially against the perennial powerhouse Pirates.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

yah woody was originally from the houston area. He is actually real good friends with a guy i worked with in my hometown. Seems like a cool guy. Hopefully he can help out.

Brent
Old 04-04-2007, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian2006
I smell a 2006 season all over again. At least they didn't throw Lidge in this time...

Interested to see how Woody plays as an Astro tomorrow night. He's from Cy-fair isn't he?
I read your other post about Lidge.

What is you deal bro? ARe you goin to complain about EVERY loss?? It's just the first two games of the season!! Lay off them already, they can't win EVERY game and go 162-0, ain't gonna happen....chill out, it's a L O N G season.

The Rangers are 0-2 as well, does that help?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:pop:
Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Splitz
I read your other post about Lidge.

What is you deal bro? ARe you goin to complain about EVERY loss?? It's just the first two games of the season!! Lay off them already, they can't win EVERY game and go 162-0, ain't gonna happen....chill out, it's a L O N G season.

The Rangers are 0-2 as well, does that help?
I have never been a fan of Lidge (hence the avatar - thanks chup ) And as for me having "a deal" I have no idea what you're talking about. Everyone is allowed to rant about anything and I happen to be a huge astros fan so I choose to let it out on a second game in the bag gone to a loss.

So "bro" I think you should watch what you say and
Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

The point isn't just the loss. It's the way they're losing. Two games in and we've had the lead and lost it twice. Not to mention the fact that they're still not scoring many runs.

-Mike
Old 04-04-2007, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

The Rangers are 0-2 to the Angles... a pretty damn good team. The DisAstros are 0-2 against the ******* Pirates. Tell me there is not cause for concern there.......

I think it is obvious that the bats were not a problem, yes we would like to score more runs... but hey, a W is still a W. The defense is good enough to hold leads, we have seen that already. I think the lack of acquisition in relief pitching is going to be our death this year.......
Old 04-04-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Losing the first two games of the season to the Pittsburg butt-pirates sucks. But at least our starting pitching has looked good so far.
Woody has the most wins for a visiting pitcher playing in MMP, so hopefully he will bring it tonight. But that damn bullpen is going to send me into depression if they dont get their crap together.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a LOOOONNNNNGGGGG season, you can't base how they are going to play on two damn games....

Who would have thought that the Mavericks who started 0-4 would be 62-11 5 months later? Think of it that way.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Splitz
It's a LOOOONNNNNGGGGG season, you can't base how they are going to play on two damn games....

Who would have thought that the Mavericks who started 0-4 would be 62-11 5 months later? Think of it that way.

good observation cheif. It is a long season. Its the fact that the bullpen has just carried over what they were doing last season to this season.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian2006
I have never been a fan of Lidge (hence the avatar - thanks chup )
I'd bet 10:1 you were a Lidge fan prior to last season... like the rest of Houston was. Then he got rattled and you, like the rest of the "life long" (2 seasons) fans, started talking about how horrible he is and that he has never been good.

If you haven't noticed, Nady is a decent player and he hit a decent pitch that Lidge hit his spot on. Sometimes that happens... it's baseball, not pitching practice. Why not jump on Carlos Lee for going .000 in that game or Burke for trying to score after having to look back on a ball and being thrown out at the plate? You score that run and that 9th inning wouldn't have mattered.

I was so annoyed on Opening Day because everyone sitting around me was an expert and could through a slider better than Lidge and calling for "the real closer Qualls"... which worked out well for them. I can't wait for all these ignorant bandwaggon fans to fall off so I don't have to listen to their crap.

It sucks losing the first 2 to the Pirates, especially when most of us chalked them up before the season began as 3-0 with STL coming in. Our offense hasn't performed and our bullpen let a couple slide away. There are 160 games left... I'm sure most of you will be fans again 150 games in.

For those calling them Disastros and Lastros... look at the last 12 years of this franchise, they aren't exactly on par with the Texans.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Ross, I was upset with Lee for going 0-for-everything in the first game. I'm just more concerned with the fact that Lidge can't seem to shake his demons. I heard him say "He hit a good pitch" several times last year, too. In my mind, it can't be called a "good pitch" if it leaves the ballpark.

Win or lose, I make a point to watch or listen to every game I can, because I love my team. I bash the players often, because I want the team to win. I think Jason Lane stinks on ice, but I'd love nothing better than to have him prove me wrong, because that means he's helping the team win.

-Mike
Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lee had good contact with the ball the first game, not like we was popping out to the catcher and dribbling ***** to the pitcher. didn't see last night, but he's the last guy i'd be concernd about. Ensberg needs to improve at the plate from last year's performance.

and yes a good pitch can leave the park,to turn on an inside fastball isn't easy. batter guessed right, thats not a pitch you recognize and have time to hit like a curve or hanging breaking ball.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Ross, I was upset with Lee for going 0-for-everything in the first game. I'm just more concerned with the fact that Lidge can't seem to shake his demons. I heard him say "He hit a good pitch" several times last year, too. In my mind, it can't be called a "good pitch" if it leaves the ballpark.

Win or lose, I make a point to watch or listen to every game I can, because I love my team. I bash the players often, because I want the team to win. I think Jason Lane stinks on ice, but I'd love nothing better than to have him prove me wrong, because that means he's helping the team win.

-Mike
I know you're a good fan Mike and actually know what you're talking about. Lidge tossed up some fat ones down the pipe last year, but this one was where Ausmus called for it. They probably should have called a different pitch, but I really think he misses that pitch 3 times out of 5. I just think it is a little early to be proclaiming that this is just a case of "new season, same old ****" from them.

Ensberg's bat speed seems much better than it seemed last year and if this production from RF and Everett keeps up... I think we'll be okay.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hawgs
I'd bet 10:1 you were a Lidge fan prior to last season... like the rest of Houston was. Then he got rattled and you, like the rest of the "life long" (2 seasons) fans, started talking about how horrible he is and that he has never been good.

If you haven't noticed, Nady is a decent player and he hit a decent pitch that Lidge hit his spot on. Sometimes that happens... it's baseball, not pitching practice. Why not jump on Carlos Lee for going .000 in that game or Burke for trying to score after having to look back on a ball and being thrown out at the plate? You score that run and that 9th inning wouldn't have mattered.

I was so annoyed on Opening Day because everyone sitting around me was an expert and could through a slider better than Lidge and calling for "the real closer Qualls"... which worked out well for them. I can't wait for all these ignorant bandwaggon fans to fall off so I don't have to listen to their crap.

It sucks losing the first 2 to the Pirates, especially when most of us chalked them up before the season began as 3-0 with STL coming in. Our offense hasn't performed and our bullpen let a couple slide away. There are 160 games left... I'm sure most of you will be fans again 150 games in.

For those calling them Disastros and Lastros... look at the last 12 years of this franchise, they aren't exactly on par with the Texans.
Well then you would have lost your "10:1" bet. I have never been a huge fan of him since he joined the club and don't plan on it. ESPECIALLY when he played a big role in loosing the world series. I never did understand why people started calling him "Lights out Lidge" that season

Granted, he is a hell of a pitcher but he has issues when under pressure it seems. When he used to be a starter he would pitch well, until the game got close and would just start lobbing the ball all over the place. Which in my opinion was a bad move to put him in the bull pen. Towards the end of a game he can't save a game or hold a game.

And I am with you on Lee so far. Even though he did knock in a crucial RBI last night I haven't been extremely impressed thus far. But we will see. I think trading Taveras was a huge mistake of that. He was my favorite Astro on the lineup and arguably the fastest runner in baseball.

But like you said, it is only the second game so we will see how it goes from here on out.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

At least you guys have leads...FN RANGERS
Old 04-04-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

The "Lights Out Lidge" moniker actually came about in '04. It's funny that people have forgotten now how truly un-hittable he was the second half of '04 and for most of '05. I, like Ross, find it hard to believe that you were not a fan of his then. If you truly weren't, that's fine, I'll be wrong. But, what was your reasoning?

We shouldn't be mad at Lidge. The man's doing the best he can, I can promise you that. Trying to live up to the over $5 million, one-year deal he signed in the offseason. We should be mad at Garner and on up the ladder to Poopoora and perhaps even on up to McLane for buying into the philosophy that if you just ignore Lidge's struggles, they'll magically disappear. These morons have denied that Lidge has had problems and tried to diverge our attention from it until they're blue in the face. But, to date, the sturggles have not disappeared. I still feel like he could turn it around this season, but we'll just have to wait and see.

The thing that concerns me the most (even though I'm not THAT concerned about anything yet, it's only two games) is that the offense isn't quite producing up to par yet either.

To whomever said that the bullpen (as in collectively) is just back to doing the same things they did last year: please qualify that statement. Nevermind the fact that you're using a sample space of 2 games, but how exactly did the bullpen (collectively) let us down so horribly last year? I'd be interested to hear your backup for that claim.