Anyone involved with Safety Systems at work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone involved with Safety Systems at work?

I have been selected by my company's board of trustees to be the Chairman of the Company Safety Committee and and now being given the title of Safety Systems Manager. Basically I will be sent to OSHA 10hour training classes and I'm sure other training. My main concern is making an impact rather than just occupying a new opening to help the company cover its ***. If anyone here is involved with safety systems at their job please post up. I need ideas on how to run a safety committee and maybe some tips. Also any websites regarding this kind of thing would help greatly also!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-28-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.osha.com

www.google.com and look up "industrial safety"
Old 05-28-2007, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ummmm, dont **** up???? thats what my boss says. lol.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been involved in most every aspect of my companys safety committees and varios safety related teams such as PHA, PSM and VPP teams.

You need to pick individuals that want to participate for the right reasons and keep meeting minutes that are available to all employees so they see it as added value. The employees have to believe in the safety committee and there has to be visible results.

Make sure the company is allowing a realistic budget or you will be wasting your time. It costs money to get concerns addressed and initiate corrective actions. If there is no financial commitment by the management, run and run very fast.lol. That will mean they are using you as a fall guy.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Banned

great input James, I was hoping you would post. I have been given a budget that I consider very reasonable. Our main concern right now is completion of all Job Hazard Analysis sheets for the different types of machines/tools employees operate there. Protective Equipment is another high concern that we have already spent a good bit of cash on improving the type of gloves, ear plugs and eye protection that we offer to the employees.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:30 AM

It sure sounds like they are stepping up to the plate. That's a good thing.

OSHA is looking our for the employees in a big way and will go to extremes to make sure a companys managment understands this.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
Make sure the company is allowing a realistic budget or you will be wasting your time. It costs money to get concerns addressed and initiate corrective actions. If there is no financial commitment by the management, run and run very fast.lol. That will mean they are using you as a fall guy.
Ditto. I'm on the safety commitee at work and had several safety/industrial mgt classes as prerequisits for my degree. Where I work, the brass gives safety lip service so the comittee is worthless. The only thing we can do is police minor things w/in our own departments. Its sad, but we have can air horns as an alarm system.

I can bet $$$ that some time next month I can go into our flammables room and find oxidizers setting in there even though I've raised hell about it several times before.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Banned

hopefully that isn't anywhere near meacham and mark IV in fort worth greed....I'd hate to get blown up as a part of your explosion!

Myself and two others have been charged with enforcing PPE as well as general safe work habits, one employee has already been cited and released due to a total disregard for hearing protection on several occasions. I think we have the full support of the mgmt. I just want to make sure I keep things pointed in the right direction.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

i work in the oil field so there is lots of safety out here with JSA's, stop program, and mettings. but the best advice i can give you is dont be a ******** about it and people will respect you more. they zip tied theses things called tong dies to a safety mans driveshaft when he was doing a walk around needless to say his truck has a vibration.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:02 PM

We have a more relaxed way of handling PPE violators whcih works much better than severe penalty and keeps you from being the bad guy. Everyone is responsible for identifying hazards or people at risk and you simply remind them in a subtle kind of way. It does work. These guys/girls know the rules, but we all become complacent at times and need a reminder.

It's really all about accountability. People have to respect you and the position you hold if you are going to be effective and your job depends on it.

As an example, could you imagine Dragaholic in your position? It just would work. Ease into the position and make your face and intentions visible to all at the work site. You are there to make it a safer place to work, but now you have to convince people without shoving it down their throat. We all want to go home safe....just get that message across and they'll love ya forever. Good luck man
Old 05-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
you are there to make it a safer place to work, but now you have to convince people without shoving it down their throat. We all want to go home safe....just get that message across and they'll love ya forever. Good luck man
thanks James, you're the man!
Old 05-29-2007, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by derrickman05
i work in the oil field so there is lots of safety out here with JSA's, stop program, and mettings. but the best advice i can give you is dont be a ******** about it and people will respect you more. they zip tied theses things called tong dies to a safety mans driveshaft when he was doing a walk around needless to say his truck has a vibration.

True True. Derrickman, What do you do in oilfield??
Old 05-29-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I work in aviation so obviously saftey is paramount.

I have a motto when I teach my required annual FAA safety course for my company "How Important is Safety to You"?

I've run several saftey programs through my 10 year career in the USAF and with my current employer. It ain't easy, most people don't give a ****. But you have to tohink like an outsider would NOT like the employees that do the job everyday.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
hopefully that isn't anywhere near meacham and mark IV in fort worth greed....I'd hate to get blown up as a part of your explosion!
You're safe. The facility is in Arlington.

The sad thing is that we had an "incident" in November or December where several people went to the hospital and OSHA had to come out. You'd think they would have done a more thorough job.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

I have been selected by my company's board of trustees to be the Chairman of the Company Safety Committee and and now being given the title of Safety Systems Manager. Basically I will be sent to OSHA 10hour training classes and I'm sure other training. My main concern is making an impact rather than just occupying a new opening to help the company cover its ***. If anyone here is involved with safety systems at their job please post up. I need ideas on how to run a safety committee and maybe some tips. Also any websites regarding this kind of thing would help greatly also!

Thanks,
Matt
Matt, what do you guys do? Manufacturing I would assume.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:10 AM
9 Second Club

Yes I have to deal with EPA,TNRCC and all the rest of the crap. LMK what procedures and stuff you need. I wrote alot some of ours.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Im a directional driller for baker hughes
Old 05-30-2007, 06:24 AM
Banned

Yes, we're a large sheet metal manufacturer and machine shop. Main supplier for the HOME DEPOT chain for ac and heating parts.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, we're a large sheet metal manufacturer and machine shop. Main supplier for the HOME DEPOT chain for ac and heating parts.
For my old company we had a standardized safety manual, that was basically common sense. Monday meetings and every other friday afternoon there was a meeting on specific issues. IE; electricity, over heads safety, blind spot safety, etc. We had a few vendors come in and setup lunch as incentives. Stuff like that. I actually wrote part of the new safety manual before I left. The insurance company was leaning on my company to get more up to date. But like one of the other guys said. Dont become the "safety police". Thats one sure fire way to make people really hate you.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

If James cant help you let me know I am an Industrial Safety Engineer