A little wheel help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A little wheel help

Last month, I had a nail in one of my tires and figured while I was at the shop (Discount Tire) getting it fixed, I'd get my tires rotated. Since I bought my wheels and tires at DT, the fix and rotate was free.

Well today I look down at my rear passenger wheel and see that the center cap is coming off. It appeared as thought the little screw that holds it in is coming out, so I figure I'll just grab my little Allen wrench and screw it back in. Well, it wouldn't go in, but more importantly, it wouldn't come out. I had to grab my ratchet set to get the damn thing to come out.

Apparently, whomever worked on my wheels/tires last, didn't thread that little screw properly, and forced it to go in, now the screw and the hole it goes into on the wheel (whatever that's called) are both stripped. Now I can't keep my centercap on, without that little screw, and it looks like ****.

I plan on going by Discount tire tomorrow, to see what they can do to help, but I'm afraid they're going to give me the run-around and say something like, "How do we know that you didn't thread it wrong?"

So, does anyone know if there's a way to fix this, without having to get another wheel? Does anyone have any advice about this at all? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Corny40; 07-23-2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

i would retap the thread in the wheel and go match up the screw/bolt with a new one. thats the only thing i can come up with!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:10 AM
12 Second Club

Helicoil, it's easy.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HotRod68Camaro
Helicoil, it's easy.
What's that???