All Mechanical Engineers...

Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Mechanical Engineers...

or anyone in a similar career, please read.

I work at the Four Seasons Hotel, I'm a doorman there, and one of the valet hikers needs help finding a job in your/his field. He is a mechanical engineer who lost his home and job during Hurricane Katrina. He came to Houston with his family and for personal reasons he can't return to New Orleans. He is a smart stand up, respectful guy. You respect him, he will respect you. He has been trying to find a job since he came but he hasn't had any luck. If anyone knows a company that is hiring, or have any tips for him he would really appreciate it as would I. Here is a link to a resume he gave me.

Thanks for taking time to read this!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ReginaldAnawiResume.pdf (20.2 KB, 183 views)
Old 08-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Dude, that is what careerbuilder and monster are for. I always have a resume on those site and always get job offers. It sounds like he isn't trying too hard. Engineering jobs are easy to find. I suggest registering on them and he will have the offers flying at him.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

He has tried those sites.
thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Tell him FMC Technologies, Kaverner<SP>, Jacobs Engineering, S & B Are all hiring Engineers. I will Pass his resume to my boss so he can look it over. Were not hiring but he might be able to pass it on. I should have looked at the resume first.

Edit: Tell him he needs to list some responsibilitys, Duties and other helpful information. He would be lucky to get an interview with that reume.

Last edited by badride42; 08-08-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:04 PM
PiP
TECH Apprentice

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by osvaldo
He has tried those sites.
thanks
That is one of the worst written resumes I have ever seen.
Tell him to add his duties and skills (i.e., his actual mechanical engineering work experience).
Old 08-08-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you kidding me? An ME in Houston can't find a job. No offense, but there is something wrong with this guy. I can't open the resume or I would offer more insight.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
Are you kidding me? An ME in Houston can't find a job. No offense, but there is something wrong with this guy. I can't open the resume or I would offer more insight.
If you could open the resume, you'd see why he can't get a job.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

His resume is pretty terrible.

-Bachelor degree should be listed higher than his associates.
-Previous experience shows zero skills or duties at each job.
-Previous experience shows no city/state for those jobs.

He really needs to get with an executive recruiter and have them coach him on his resume and put him in front of companies. It costs nothing to do this, the hiring companies pay the fees if he gets hired through them.

This place has done very well for me: http://www.pshouston.com

BTW, his degree is a Mech Technology degree, not an actual engineering degree. He should still be able to pull in well over $50K even with zero experience.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know if this IS his "official" resume or if he just typed this up real quick for me. I will tell him to work on it a bit, or a lot according to most of you. I have no idea why he hasn't been able to find a job, but i know he had a very high paying job in NO, so he must be doing something right. I will tell him to call some of the companies and check out those sites. I'm just trying to help the guy out, he's nice as hell and i just feel bad for him.

Thanks badride and nineball
Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Banned

I agree w/ the comments above. He needs a professional to help him w/ his resume. I don't really see any design experience on there. This is probably the primary reason why he is not having luck. Seeing that he has been graduated for awhile, but no real design experience, is not good. That speaks volumes to his potential employer. If he has design experience, and just not conveying it onto his resume, then he needs help from a recruiter to help get his resume right. If he has no real design expereince, he might be out of luck.
If he has a hard time finding a job in Houston, he will have a much harder time in other places.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

No dude.....REALLY ....that's a poor excuse for even a "quick" resume..... It is cool that your helping the guy out though. If he cant find a job in the engineering field...especially in houston, he does have problems. If that is the resume that he is posting I wouldnt take him seriously and I dont have the education that he has.

Nineball's right.... get him to one of those agencies....QUICK lol.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

I got the resume to open this morning. He needs to highlight his engineering skills on his resume. Save the non engineering jobs for the "job application" for showing employment history. A good recruiter would be a big help to this guy.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone know of a good agency in houston? maybe on 59-S?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Just tell him to make a decent resume that explains what engineering companies he worked for, where they were, and what positions he held. Post it on monster in Houston and the recruiters will call him constantly
Old 08-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Banned

Like others have said there should be no problems finding a job in houston right now. I work at Vetco Gray and we hire engineers every week.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most engineering companies in Houston during this boom are only checking to see if you have a pulse. If you are alive ....you are pretty much hired.

Search this Thread