GREAT news Texas gun owners!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GREAT news Texas gun owners!!

Replacement for the “Traveling” Law Passed in 2005~
HB 1815 by Rep. Carl Isett (R-Lubbock)/Senator Juan “Chuy” Hinojosa (D-McAllen).
Currently referred to as the Motorists Protection Act.

For years, Texas law provided for a defense to prosecution against a charge of carrying a
concealed handgun without a permit if the person was “traveling.” However, “traveling” was
never defined in law. In 2005, the Texas Legislature passed a bill establishing that a person is
presumed to be traveling if he or she is in a private motor vehicle, is not engaged in criminal activity, is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm, and is not a member of a criminal street gang.

The clear intent was to protect law-abiding citizens’ right to carry a handgun concealed for personal protection in their cars or trucks without needing a Concealed Handgun License (CHL).
However, some District Attorneys in Texas have thumbed their nose at the intent of the law and
have gone so far as to issue public statements that they will arrest anyone found within their
jurisdiction to be carrying a handgun in his or her vehicle without a CHL. Further changes
are necessary to address this problem. HB 1815 includes the same safeguards and requirements passed by the 79th Legislature;
however it will no longer be an offense for Texans to have a handgun in their vehicle or a vehicle under their control.

Passed

DISCUSS
Old 08-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Launching!

Get a CHL, and carry everywhere that it is legal to do so, IMHO. But, at least this clarification will protect those who enjoy part-time safety.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ha, I got my CHL so that way I could protect myself and my car when I am driving it. Now Looks like I just wasted time and money since it is no longer necessary to have a lic. whil in vehicle. Well at least I can carry it on my person.

I bet there is going to be alot of restrictions to that law, like the gun cannot be on the person, or cannot be within reach or some ****!

Just seems like too broad of a rule IMHO!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:49 AM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

Got my CHL last year.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a good session for gun laws. There is another gun law going into affect Sep 1 that extends the castle doctrine to your place of business and your vehicle. It also provides civil immunity for a "justified" shooter, i.e. guy breaks into your home, you shoot and kill him, grand jury finds you were justified, his family cannot sue you in civil court.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

where is a good place to get the CHL?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, this helps me out.

I don't qualify for a CHL becaus I owe back child support and that is an automatic disqualification.

So, now it's ok to carry my 9mm in my car!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitz
Well, this helps me out.

I don't qualify for a CHL becaus I owe back child support and that is an automatic disqualification.

So, now it's ok to carry my 9mm in my car!
Ever thought of selling your gun and paying your child support?
Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Ever thought of selling your gun and paying your child support?
See, making comments like that withouth knowning ALL the facts makes you look like a total dumbass.

My child support for two kids was $800 a month while I was in the military.

I left the military and couldn't get a good enough job even to support myself. I was only making $10/hour. So I COULDN'T pay it. Thus the arrerage.

Now that I'm making almost $16/hour, the judge lowered my child support because my pay decreased more than 10% and I'm also paying back the arrearge $150 extra a month.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Splitz
See, making comments like that withouth knowning ALL the facts makes you look like a total dumbass.

My child support for two kids was $800 a month while I was in the military.

I left the military and couldn't get a good enough job even to support myself. I was only making $10/hour. So I COULDN'T pay it. Thus the arrerage.

Now that I'm making almost $16/hour, the judge lowered my child support because my pay decreased more than 10% and I'm also paying back the arrearge $150 extra a month.
My bad. I suppose you bought and modded your car before all this?
Old 08-09-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

this isn't my business, but mind your own damn business dude, guy is taking care of his **** like a man so quit harping on him.

HOOAH
Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, again, if you knew the ENTIRE story, but, insist on being a jackass about it.

I could write an $8,000 check for the arrerage to the state, but I'm not that stupid, my EX-wife is a habitial gambler and drug user, I've had CPS over at that house at least once a month with mandatory drug tests and the whole 9 yards.

so, instead of paying lump sum with she would undoublty spunk on Vegas and or drugs I limit the payments to monthly. This was approved by the Tarrant County Family Judge Mr. Carper and he agreed. Instead, the money is coming montly out of my paycheck. This is to protect the kids more than anything, she's horrible with money and will spend it on anything BUT my kiddos.

So, if all bills (includikng child support) are being paid, what's the damn difference HOW? And I'll spend my extra money on what I want!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Does this mean that I can do more than throw bullets at a car jacker now? My dad has his license and I am about to shortly get mine just because I am a Texan and I can!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by crsmetal
this isn't my business, but mind your own damn business dude

Splitz -
Well, it's nice to know our Texas judges know of gambling and drug problems with mothers and continue to keep the children in those homes.
Sorry for your dilemma. I have a cousin in your same boat.
I also have a brother-in-law on the opposite. He doesn't work so he won't have to pay. He leaves that up to his daughter's single mom, so she's basically living in a 2-bedroom crappy apartment and can barely afford to get by and my niece is suffering because of this. He chooses sitting on his *** and drugs instead of being responsible and providing for his little girl.
Sorry man. I'm just a little sensitive with the matter and I probably spoke too soon. I apologize.

Last edited by -Ross-; 08-09-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Not to hijack the thread, but can anybody message me if I am out of luck if I had a class A misdemeanor in 2000 for possession of weapon?

Last edited by Grimlock; 08-09-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Launching!

It seems like there are an awful lot of people on here that will say anything. If you wouldn't say it to someone in person don't say it on here. Just because your not standing in front of the person when you say it and they will probably never see you doesn't meen you can just blab off at the mouth. I'm sure if you met this guy in person you wouldn't even consider saying some dumb **** to him like that. My guess is all the people on here that are always being rude are all the little guys that got screwed with a lot so on here they think they can just say what they want.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

So, in leymans terms,

I can carry my gun in my vehicle to and from work, and be ok with it?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

do you have a link to this from a reputable source?

what is the age limit for owning a gun? 18?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

21 i think for a handgun.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

I know what you mean about the ex being worthless and not doing what she is supposed to. Its hard being a good father and trying to care for your child/children only part of the time.

Back to the matter at hand, is it now ok to carry in your car constantly?
I just talked to my buddy who is a Brazoria County Sheriff Deputy and he said yes its legal now.

He just said this: it is now legal to carry in your vehicle in Texas. The gun can be loaded but must remain concealed. You cant just toss it up on your dash! It is for when you are traveling so he said that if you get into your car and are heading anywhere, you are technically travelling.

NOW, if you are breaking the law such as drunk driving or carrying dope then you will also get a charge of UCW. Unlawful carrying of a weapon.

So, if you are straight then you have nothing to worry about.