Might be moving to Texas(Fort Hood)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Might be moving to Texas(Fort Hood)

Hey guys, I don't post on here much and definately never in the Texas section. But a move to Fort Hood might be in my future and I had a couple questions:

#1. Is there a drag strip close??

#2. How are the schools?

#3. How are home prices? Are they rising or falling??

#4 What kind/size of home will $150k get you?

#5. Whats the crime rates like??

#6. Any areas to avoid??

And please if you have any pictures of the area post them up

I work with a bunch of guys from Fort Hood and they all say good thing, but I kinda want to know the bad as well.

I have moved way to many times in the last couple years and am really looking for a place to settle down and get out of the Military.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

1 - Yes, in Temple. 20 minutes away.
2 - What kind of schools are yout alking about?
3, 4, 5 - Can't speak of it now, I left in 2004, but 150k would have gotten you a pretty nice house back then. That should only be more in your favor now with the home market tanking.
6 - Yes, there are. The areas directly adjacent to the base are not so great. There are some subdivisions across from Clear Creek gate that were new when I left.

We've got a decent number of members down there, hopefully someone can chime in with more updated info for ya. I wouldn't want to retire in Ft Hood though, unless you fall in love with the Lake Belton area. Not much to do in Central Texas - and the weather is atrocious.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I moved out of the Ft. Hood area back in 2000 so, like cyphur, my info might be outdated.

The Temple dragstrip was pretty small and kind of rundown, but it served it's purpose.

I was/still am single so I'm not sure about the schools.

$150K will likely buy you a pretty good sized house in that area.

There are a lot of smaller towns within a descent drive of Ft. Hood that, if I were to do it over again, I would have lived in. I lived in Copperas Cove which, at the time, seemed to be slightly cleaner/safer than living right in Killeen. A few of my friends had nice houses out in the country between Copperas Cove and Lampasas....they were enlisted so I know what they could afford and it wasn't much.

As cyphur said, Ft. Hood isn't a place to retire. A few of the old timers in my squadron were close to retirement and they commuted/car pooled in from north Austin. I'd say if you were close enough to retirement look down that way, maybe even down toward Marble Falls (absolutely beautiful area). Would definately be a long drive everyday, but I'm willing to bet you'd be able to find people to car pool with.

I wasn't a big fan of Ft. Hood while I was there, however I took a bike ride up through the area not long ago and it has grown considerably. I'm just sad that the Big League Burger in Copperas Cove was closed
Old 12-14-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool thanks for the info guys,

By schools I mean elementry school's as I have 2 little girls and some of the schools I saw in Alabama were heartbreaking after being raised in the northwest.

Cyphur whats so bad about the weather just the heat??
Old 12-14-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 95ttoplt1
Cool thanks for the info guys,

By schools I mean elementry school's as I have 2 little girls and some of the schools I saw in Alabama were heartbreaking after being raised in the northwest.

Cyphur whats so bad about the weather just the heat??
Heat and Humidity pretty much all the time.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Heat and Humidity pretty much all the time.
Anyworse than Southern Alabama?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Schools suck *** around here. I dont know if its just the mentality of the kids or they just arent being taught properly, but I see alot of dumbasses..
$150k will by you one of the cheaper houses in the newer upscale communities. Or a pretty nice house in an older community. We paid $104k for our 1700 sqft 3bd/2ba in south Temple in 2004. It was built in 84 but the neighborhood is pretty nice.
Like every town, crime has its spots, mostly inner city, older neighborhoods. You could live on the outskirts of the town and still pay the same price for a house..
Definitely a buyers market right now, but houses are going up like crazy around here
Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
Schools suck *** around here. I dont know if its just the mentality of the kids or they just arent being taught properly, but I see alot of dumbasses..
$150k will by you one of the cheaper houses in the newer upscale communities. Or a pretty nice house in an older community. We paid $104k for our 1700 sqft 3bd/2ba in south Temple in 2004. It was built in 84 but the neighborhood is pretty nice.
Like every town, crime has its spots, mostly inner city, older neighborhoods. You could live on the outskirts of the town and still pay the same price for a house..
Definitely a buyers market right now, but houses are going up like crazy around here
Cool that is right where i was looking, between Fort Hood and the strip. How is the 1/8 mile track? Do you go there or make the drive to a better track? I used to race at a backwoods track in Alabama and had a blast, the people were friendly and it was cheap. The guy that ran the tree would bring his wife and she would play with my daughter while I ran. It really was good environment for kids, which can be hard to find around racing at times.

I would really like a 3 bedroom with a shop in the country and I saw one today that kinda fit the bill although it is way too early to buy right now.

If ya see something like this let me know though.

Any pictures of the local area??
Old 12-14-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

The weather?

Lots of wind, humid year round, which means when it's cold, you're cold and wet, and when its hot, its hot and muggy.

Ft Hood is great for the field though, which is where I spent most of my time, in the Cav. Has some really fun tank trails, especially after a rain storm.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Launching!

temple is 1/4 mile, and its realllly cheap too, good racing atmosphere even tho if you go on the wrong day you get some back woods guys too

living in belton is like halfway from ft hood and the strip, and its one highway away, annnd the crime rate is super low, my neighborhood still has people that don't lock doors
Old 12-15-2007, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Default The Track at Temple

Temple track is like driving down a wet road. If you want to go to a track that has no rules ( cage, helmet, safety restraints, loops, ect.) come to waco its a little bit of a drive, but the track is worth driving up here for.
http://www.prairiehilldragway.com/index.html
Old 12-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Launching!

FWIW prarie hill and temple shouldn't have an arguement over who sucks more, they're both retarded
Old 12-15-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by khaos288
FWIW prarie hill and temple shouldn't have an arguement over who sucks more, they're both retarded

At least on Saturdays, TAD has a somewhat decent track prep because the big guys come out, however you will spend all day there an maybe get 2-3 passes in.
Fridays suck except just to show off what you got. ****** ricers and crotch rockets flood in by the masses and drag water everywhere
Old 12-15-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah sounds like the track I used to race at in Alabama, they prepped with a mop and used to drag an old tractor tire up and down the track to "get some heat in it". It was pretty commical but for 10 bucks who cares :LOL:

Sounds like we will be heading to Texas as soon as I am done in Iraq, might have to spend some time in school in Alabama first but prorbaly early 09 I will down there. I think we are looking more toward to Lapasas(sp) side of things now.

We really want a place out of town with enough land(2-10 acres) that I can land in the back yard and far enough away from neighbors that I don't feel bad messing with my car in the shop at 2am.

Thanks for all the help guys, if any one has more info its more than welcome, or even post some general pictures of the area. My wife is home in Washington state and has been reading this as well. I think we both are pretty excited about moving.

Quick Reply: Might be moving to Texas(Fort Hood)