emissions legal options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question emissions legal options?

I'm currently in a place that has no emissions testing. However at some point I will return to the Dallas Texas area.

From what I've heard it's only places like California that have a lock down on what engines are allowed to be put in a vehicle (regardless of emissions or fuel consumption), while most other places (ie texas) just have requirements that emissions equipment to be present and the vehicle pass a "sniffer" test.

Anyone know if something like MTI's 427 is able to pass Texas emissions? What about other options? suggestions / recommendations?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

obdII does not require a "snifer test" as long as you dont have codes you should be fine. All of the emmission codes can be tuned out. The place were i go does not do a visual inspection.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Teching In

What's the date range for obdII? My firebird is a 1999. Each time the car was emissions certified they did a sniffer test, reviewed under the hood.. One year a place I took the firebird required a drive test as well. Nowhere did I ever experience people just checking codes and being done with it.

Is the testing and requirements different in Dallas or some of the suburbs (Plano, Frisco, ..)?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

put it this way in Dallas texas, if you put your head to it, you can get an inspection sticker put on the front window of any car. Does not matter what is under the hood. To answer your question. MTI 427 no emissions long tubes and true duals. no problem.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1996 and newer cars use the OBD2, 1995 and pre vehicles have to be put on the sniffer. every car is suppose to be looked at under the hood and taken for a test drive to check for braking and steering

if the 427 uses a pcm and has an OBD2 connector as long as your check engine light isnt on it WILL pass emissions. if you get a scanner and delete the 'code'(check engine light) before an inspection it will fail because you just basicly reset your pcm and the inspection computer will see that none of the sensors are "ready" (everything will show up NOT READY, which means a fail)

as long as all the emission stuff that was on the 427 before you put it into your car is still on then its good to go

most inspectors will not know what is suppose to be on the engine by memory, they will look at the sticker (which on most GM cars is located on the intake) which says what emission parts the engine is suppose to have(EGR, CATS, AIR PUMP, exhaust port air injection, charcoal canister,heated intake air). get rid of the sticker and your chances of passing are better. i think the 427 though has the same emission stuff as the ls1 soo if you have it then your good
Old 12-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Teching In

What if someone may be in an area or politics change and now sniffer testing is enforced, is it only something like the LS9 that can pass emissions testing and still make decent power?!?

I'd hate to put a mess of money in my weekend/fun car only to have it be unable to run on the street, now or in the future.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TA Tom
What if someone may be in an area or politics change and now sniffer testing is enforced, is it only something like the LS9 that can pass emissions testing and still make decent power?!?

I'd hate to put a mess of money in my weekend/fun car only to have it be unable to run on the street, now or in the future.
what area do you live in? i doubt they will enforce inspection stations to do a sniffer on all the cars. i think some shops still use the old system that doesnt use obd2 because they dont want to buy the obd2 compatable 50,000 dollar computer
Old 12-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Teching In

I'm in Alabama (no testing at all) at the moment. However will likely get back in the Dallas area at some point here in the future. Perhaps Omaha.. :hmm: It's been so many years now, I cant even recall what was required in Nebraska.

Regardless doesnt seem anyone cares about actual emissions or passing them at all. I guess if it's really that much of a non-issue, regarding testing.. :shrug: