Has anyone ever traveled outside the USA???? Need some tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Has anyone ever traveled outside the USA???? Need some tips

Im thinking of going to Spain this year for the running of the bulls with a friend and staying at his aunts house in Madrid. Do you guys have any tips to on what to do and what not to do:money, getting deals on plane tickets, bad things to look for? Also do you know of any good websites to buy tickets from or the best time of the year to buy them??

Roger
Old 01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably would be best to get tickets now I know people plan a year in advance to go to spain during the running of the bulls.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

don't go~

that running the bulls **** is cruel.

:rude:
Old 01-02-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

no... no one has EVER traveled outside the US!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
no... no one has EVER traveled outside the US!!!!!!
LOL!!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by regorih383
LOL!!
watch the vids i sent you.... lol
Old 01-02-2008, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

First of all, go the bank and trade in your american currency for Euros. You should/will get a WAY better rate here, then in spain. I dont know the exact value now, but when I went to spain I got like 75 Euros for 100$

Have fun
Old 01-02-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jessedale98
First of all, go the bank and trade in your american currency for Euros. You should/will get a WAY better rate here, then in spain. I dont know the exact value now, but when I went to spain I got like 75 Euros for 100$

Have fun
Who did you use to travel, and what does a round ticket go for?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by regorih383
Im thinking of going to Spain this year for the running of the bulls with a friend and staying at his aunts house in Madrid. Do you guys have any tips to on what to do and what not to do:money, getting deals on plane tickets, bad things to look for? Also do you know of any good websites to buy tickets from or the best time of the year to buy them??

Roger

Hey man screw the running of the bulls Go to Rota and meet your future wife.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Banned

Just get a voltage converter for your shaver, etc. Most countries in Europe uses 220 V I believe. Check with your friend to see what they use. You can buy the converters at radio shack.

Try to get a straight through flight because layovers in foreign airports can be VERY inconvenient.

Don't try to take your laptop through the airport if you don't have to. Its not worth the hassle.

Also, you will want to sleep the first thing when you get there. Try not to and stay awake until the normal bedtime around there (it will feel like going to bed a 4:00am). But you will get over the jet lag faster than if you crash when you get in. Otherwise, jet lag will own you for the whole week.

Thats all I got
Old 01-02-2008, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carry a roll of toilet paper (GOOD STUFF) with you in your backpack!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Get a voltage converter. Luggage has more chances of getting lost so pack an extra tooth brush and deodrant. I think you will have to call up a travel agency for your ticket. Take a back pack instead of those other carry on bags, it get old pulling those things along quick.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Teching In

day one get drunk like hell party hard then sleep when you wake up you will feel like a new man. works for me. change of weather sucks. lol
Old 01-02-2008, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

I know you said your going to Madrid but when I went to sevilla everybody went home for a break from around 4 to 6 pm(right when I get hungry! I was pissed!) SO all the shops and food places shut down for a few hours. Where I was we did not need power converters but that doesnt mean you might not need them. So just stay aware of whats going on around you and enjoy the beauty, its a great place to visit!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've been to Monterrey, Mexico a hand full of times, but not like what you're talking about
Old 01-02-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can check if you corded electric stuff works with 220V. If it does itll either have a in line brick (converter) or a stamp of that looks like this 100v~240V. If its got that you are good to go and wont need a separate converter. You will still need a plug adapter. Not sure what kind Spain uses but your plugs wont fit in the socket.

Change your $$ to Euros in the states as youll get a better exchange rate. FYI its VERY VERY expensive to buy ANYTHING in Europe. Also if you dont have your heart dead set on the Running then choose another time to go. Its a HUGE tourist time of year and its not really spain from what Ive heard through a few friends who have been.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

#1. Make sure you have a valid passport
#2. Make sure you always have a valid passport handy.
#3. Shop around for best currency prices. The currency exchange places inside the airport are the worst. I changed $$ into Euro's here in Houston, in Amsterdam and some at a local bank in the Netherlands. My best rate was at the local bank in the NL which had a small exchange fee and current exchange rates. The Euro is worth more then a dollar so your losing money regardless.
#4. Try not to make it too obvious your a traveler ( or American ) for that matter.
#5. Make sure you got cash on you at all times. Many places in Europe dont take CC, let alone american CC.
#6. Choose roundtrip non stop over any other options. This is way cheaper and more convenient. The last thing you want to do is run around some european airport trying to find a gate.
#7. Have the ******* time of your life.

I only speak from experience, I've been to Spain twice but that was when I lived in Europe. Last october I went to the Netherlands for two weeks and had the time of my life. Airport security is tight and can be a nuissance but should be no problem for anybody with the right papers. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have to been to Europe several times, if you have any specific ?'s ask them to me and I can most likely answer them.

Don't use cash unless you have to, the best rate of exchange is always the plastic unless the vendor charges a special tax for that which some do.

Tp is no problem in Madrid, my family is from there. You will need an electrical converter, adapter for your appliances and be sure you bring plenty of changes of socks if you are like me and like to walk everywhere.

Best to reserve plane tickets now. Northwest/KLM is probably the best carrier. Lufthansa might be a little cheaper.

Don't spend the entire trip in Madrid if you don't have to. Spain is beautiful. You have to see Seville (Se-vee-ya) for the gorgeous Flamenco dancers and any of the towns near the Med. Rota has a US Naval Base there so it is kinda eh. You could make your way over to Lisbon, Portugal as well (I love the Portuguese women, so hottttt!). Barcelona is okay, they do have nude beaches. Just about any Catalan area is nice too.

Do not sleep the entire flight, the last half of the flight, or as soon as you get there. When you head east you want to stay awake as long as possible. Chances are the flight will leave in the EARLY AM, and take ~10 hours dependent on the jet stream. I want to say Spain is 6 times zones away. You should try to stay up until the late evening, ~8ish which is your natural body clocks 2am.

If you travel you should do it by rail. It is very inexpensive, and scenic, and probably the most convenient way if you are staying in Western Europe. Look into a EuRail pass.

Let me know if I can help you more.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Adam98Z, I agree with you except on the part of how to pay. Plastic is way to expensive and you might find yourself limited where you can use it. My bank (Bank of America) charged me an $5 exchange fee for every transaction I made with my card. Ontop of that they gave me a bogus deal on the exchange rate. My experiences have taught me to use cash over credit. Just my .02
Old 01-02-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've always used my Federal Credit Unions card over there so I always got a straight deal of exactly the exchange rate and no bogus fees. That is good advice for anyone who is traveling though, they should contact their financial institution and see what their policy is.

A few other things: English is widely spoken in the major metros, but in the rural areas you'll need to know Spanish. Taxi cabs in most cities are also mandated to have a special license and easy to see markings on the cabs so you can know they are legit. Careful with the shops too, some will negotiate prices with you, but some have absurd prices and may even be a little shady as far as them being able to make a phone call and you get met by some not too friendly people.

Try to blend in, Spaniards look a lot like American's. My family is naturally toned (not Mexican dark though) with predominantly brown hair and green eyes. Don't wear clothes that will attract attention and make you a target.

If you go to Seville (which you should ) I advise staying in the city near the historic districts where all the nightlife goes on just so you can take in everything about that city.