How much do plant operators make?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know of this type of work anywhere in Florida? Im an operator for a large petrochemical producer and looking to relocate.
Please pm me if you have any ideas

Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a few refinery's down near Ft.Lauderdale
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Default Process Operator

If you can handle the cold, and the 14/14 schedule, the operators on the North Slopes of Alaska make more than $100K starting. I work for Eni Petroleum and with only putting in an additional 2 weeks in for the year, I pulled in over $140,000. Our "new" operators pulled in over &120,000K. A lot of our operators live in the lower 48, Az, La, Tx even one in Fl. I don't know what BP or Conoco Phillips Ak pay their, operators, but it is very competitive! Just some info for those looking!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So how hard is it to get in no experience no nothing. I have/had a good job history... Been at the same place for 16 yrs, but this past Friday we were told the plant is coming to an "Idle". I started at min. wage back in 96 and now topped out at $20.18 an hour (worked up to supervisor). But this is only until the 2nd of February. After that me along with 2,000 other employees will be out of luck. Things happen for a reason though, maybe it is time for a change...
Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Plant experience should help you. Were you an operator there? I'm in my last semester of my Process Associates Degree. I just finally started getting calls for interviews within the past two months. I had been applying everywhere since I first enrolled (Fall 2011) and other than being invited to take tests I never had an opportunity to interview.

It's definitely alot harder to get into that I thought it would be. Sometimes across the boards and through friends you hear of people being brought on with absolutely no experience or no school but I think that is kind of rare or really dependent on who you know.

I have 7 classes to go and I am knocking them all out this semester to be done in May. I had a good interview with Dow, but they said I would need to get back with them once I have my degree. Some places want the degree some don't it just depends on what they are looking for at the time I guess.

Last edited by DopeFedZ; 01-24-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:05 AM
Staging Lane

Damn carlos your knocking them classes out fukkn quick. Im glad i have experience in the refineries so that should help me out whrnever im done with school but im a very long way from finishing. Just an fyi i kno shell in deer park is hiring 24 operators so try n get an interview and testing with them. I love that place as i was maintnance there for over a year.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 AM
Staging Lane

For those of you trying to get in, just apply everywhere you can, take all the tests you can and interview everywhere you can. You need to have thick skin and not get your feelings hurt when you get shot down from plant to plant. It'll happen. Eventually you'll get a job. Sometimes you have to take a lower job to gain experience but even if you do this, keep trying.

I know people who have gotten hired at the first place they applied at. I applied everywhere and got shot down a lot before I got hired at Exxonmobil.

For those of you in school, don't wait til you're done to apply. Having a degree doesn't automatically get you a job. I've seen guys with degrees not get jobs for years. Apply from day one like Carlos has done.

The jobs are out there and the plants are hiring. Stay diligent and don't give up!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by akricer
If you can handle the cold, and the 14/14 schedule, the operators on the North Slopes of Alaska make more than $100K starting. I work for Eni Petroleum and with only putting in an additional 2 weeks in for the year, I pulled in over $140,000. Our "new" operators pulled in over &120,000K. A lot of our operators live in the lower 48, Az, La, Tx even one in Fl. I don't know what BP or Conoco Phillips Ak pay their, operators, but it is very competitive! Just some info for those looking!

I never see job openings for north slope jobs. Where do you apply? I have a degree and 7 years operations experience
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by carlos sauceda
Damn carlos your knocking them classes out fukkn quick. Im glad i have experience in the refineries so that should help me out whrnever im done with school but im a very long way from finishing. Just an fyi i kno shell in deer park is hiring 24 operators so try n get an interview and testing with them. I love that place as i was maintnance there for over a year.
Yeah man just want to be done with it. I was initially just going for the certificate and ended up just taking the rest of the classes. Your experience should definitely help.

Originally Posted by 20lbbooster
For those of you trying to get in, just apply everywhere you can, take all the tests you can and interview everywhere you can. You need to have thick skin and not get your feelings hurt when you get shot down from plant to plant. It'll happen. Eventually you'll get a job. Sometimes you have to take a lower job to gain experience but even if you do this, keep trying.

I know people who have gotten hired at the first place they applied at. I applied everywhere and got shot down a lot before I got hired at Exxonmobil.

For those of you in school, don't wait til you're done to apply. Having a degree doesn't automatically get you a job. I've seen guys with degrees not get jobs for years. Apply from day one like Carlos has done.

The jobs are out there and the plants are hiring. Stay diligent and don't give up!
I agree with the applying everywhere and doing it from day one. I have a login list at home with about 30 different companies I have applied for .

I had an interview with Air Products last week for an internship so hopefully I hear from them.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Yeah man just want to be done with it. I was initially just going for the certificate and ended up just taking the rest of the classes. Your experience should definitely help.

I agree with the applying everywhere and doing it from day one. I have a login list at home with about 30 different companies I have applied for .

I had an interview with Air Products last week for an internship so hopefully I hear from them.
Well being up at 6am is a good start! Little Carlos is growing up!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1sickz28
Well being up at 6am is a good start! Little Carlos is growing up!
lmao!!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

I just started working in the plants in September, contractor company out of La Porte doing heat treatment. 25, wasted 5 years in college that I could have been working and working my way up the ladder, but hindsight is always 20/20. I currently have 2 classes left to get my certification for analytical instrumentation at Lee College, I figure with that, my experience as a contractor at Exxon and Lyondell the last few months, and the turnaround I am currently on at conoco phillips in Sweeny I should have a decent chance of getting on somewhere long term within the next year or so...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 78novacaine
I just started working in the plants in September, contractor company out of La Porte doing heat treatment. 25, wasted 5 years in college that I could have been working and working my way up the ladder, but hindsight is always 20/20. I currently have 2 classes left to get my certification for analytical instrumentation at Lee College, I figure with that, my experience as a contractor at Exxon and Lyondell the last few months, and the turnaround I am currently on at conoco phillips in Sweeny I should have a decent chance of getting on somewhere long term within the next year or so...
Who are you working for? I am an electrician for P66. I am working nights on the same turnaround. It's never to late to get started in this industry. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by codyvette
Who are you working for? I am an electrician for P66. I am working nights on the same turnaround. It's never to late to get started in this industry. Good luck.
HTS Ameritek, we are preheating and stressing the seams on the coke drums, along with some work in the furnace and a few other units, but I am on the coker for now.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Teching In

The Coker units are some dirty places but you learn to love it when you work it.

Like 20lb said before though. Just apply, test and interview your butt off. Everyone is going to get shot down, it sucks but it happens. On the bright side of that though you build up the knowledge of what the tests are like, how interviews are conducted and what companies look for and what they have to offer. I was fortunate enough to get my job being the third place I applied to. But I took as many tests possible for jobs that were way out of my qualification range just to know what the tests were all about and where my weak points were.

And if going for the degree, make sure to always apply for internships. It's not "full-time" but the pay is still good and you get a insider look as to how it really is in a plant or rig. Most of the time if you come across as a good employee while on a internship you will be told to apply upon your degree completion cause they want you.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

I start an internship with Air Products in Baytown on the 18th. I'm gonna roll the dice on this one and leave my full time job and hope that I do great during the internship and they offer me something full time.

I have been at my current employer for 10 years now and Im letting go of 4 weeks vacation and all benefits but Im willing to do it to start a new career.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I start an internship with Air Products in Baytown on the 18th. I'm gonna roll the dice on this one and leave my full time job and hope that I do great during the internship and they offer me something full time.

I have been at my current employer for 10 years now and Im letting go of 4 weeks vacation and all benefits but Im willing to do it to start a new career.
Congrats man! Sometimes you just gotta roll the dice. I know I did whenever I left where we worked together. I had been there for almost 3 years and didn't like the way things were going. I have no regrets about leaving. Contrary to popular belief you're a smart guy lol.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL you little f@cker.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

I'll be starting my ex military internship with lyondell soon for an operator position. Finally got the position I've been wanting!!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Lyondell on bayarea and channel view are splitting 12 operators but the application process closed after one week with 498 applicants. :/ I am about to start the first wave of testing for them. so far no luck finding a job though.

1bad03snake you work for PRSI right? is Valero still planning to buy that location?

Quick Reply: How much do plant operators make?